The Sports Impact of COVID-19

Pauly

The data is key, and I’m looking forward to seeing 1) how many extra innings were played per extra-inning game in 20 vs 19 and 2) average time to play extra innings in 20 vs 19. 

I saw another one yesterday, and honestly I find it thrilling. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it's becoming a permanent thing, I'd like to see it after 12 innings and not sooner.

Universal DH I'm not happy about, but always knew we were on borrowed time. The only thing I would think is idiotic at this point is 2021 AL/NL different than 2022 universal DH.

But in general? I agree with the majority. NBA/NHL are going to be viewed as regular legitimate seasons(as long as no sub 8 team wins it, which i think is already impossible).

Soccer seasons across the globe(19-20) same thing, even the ones shortened.

MLS is weird. It'll be less than normal, but i'd still say close.

Baseball is fun, but it's going to feel less authentic this year.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

TCU delaying opener vs. SMU over positive tests https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29812490/tcu-delaying-opener-smu-positive-coronavirus-tests
via @ESPN App http://espn.com/app

And a minimum of players to avoid forfeits in Big XII.

Big 12 guidelines call for 53 players, 1 QB, 7 OL https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29812654/big-12-guidelines-call-53-players-1-quarterback-7-o-linemen
via @ESPN App http://espn.com/app

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Yeah one more vote with the general consensus here. Maybe Miami and Boston wouldn’t be in as good shape in the NBA semis as they are right now, in a year with normal home court advantage. But that doesn’t seem THAT weird.

I’m curious how the players playing these games in a weird quiet soundstage screen box would answer this question, though.

MLS is probably secretly psyched that they had an excuse to take their usual unbalanced schedule and annual format changes to a further extreme.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

23 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I went to a baseball game last April that went to 12 or 13 innings. The Mariners lost, and it was about 40 degrees by the end of the game. It sucked and the Mariners sucked and we had less time at the bar we went to afterward as a result.

This is why minor league baseball is the best. You go to a game when the weather is nice and if the Mariners' prospects lose to the Cardinals' prospects, nobody is going to be upset.

In terms of long-term effects in the big North American leagues -- I tend to agree with the consensus that MLB will be holding onto many of its bad ideas. I've watched almost no baseball this year, a combination of Hulu not having my team's RSN and of the Red Sox trading away Mookie freakin' Betts. From what I've read the games are bad not just because the roster is bad, but the longtime Red Sox tradition of interminably long games is as bad as ever, maybe worse. No thanks!

But anyway -- as a very casual hockey fan I thought the reseeding in their playoffs worked. But more consequentially, I wouldn't be surprised if we end up seeing the NBA starting back up late, maybe as late as Christmas, and deciding to hold onto a December-August schedule in the future. There was enough smoke about their wanting to spend more time up against baseball and less against football, anyway. And watching playoff basketball in late summer has felt... pretty fine to me? I suppose the risk of putting your playoff deciders during summer vacation might not work out long-term for TV ratings and interest.

Sources told ESPN that the team hotel was not exclusive to England and that Foden and Greenwood broke protocol by meeting the two women on the side of the hotel that was open to the public. England manager Gareth Southgate said the team area wasn't compromised because the women were not inside that part of the hotel. The FA found out in the early hours, and players were sent back to their rooms.

What was that about COVID bubbles and horny athletes?

Also I need more layout info. Were they going to have a tryst with some Icelandic girls in the hotel laundry facility?

https://www.espn.com/soccer/england-eng/story/4175366/england-drop-foden-greenwood-for-bringing-girls-back-to-team-hotel

2 hours ago, Digby said:

But anyway -- as a very casual hockey fan I thought the reseeding in their playoffs worked. But more consequentially, I wouldn't be surprised if we end up seeing the NBA starting back up late, maybe as late as Christmas, and deciding to hold onto a December-August schedule in the future. There was enough smoke about their wanting to spend more time up against baseball and less against football, anyway. And watching playoff basketball in late summer has felt... pretty fine to me? I suppose the risk of putting your playoff deciders during summer vacation might not work out long-term for TV ratings and interest.

Not sure how that would work on the arena-booking side or the RSN side. Going up against baseball doesn't do the Nets any good when they're on YES to provide winter programming, and so on down the line. And extending the NBA season into the summer probably makes it harder for venues to book concerts and other events. Unlike the other three leagues, the NBA has no true seasonal association (I suppose by process of elimination they get spring), so they can run their season whenever they want, it just might end up being disruptive and not as clever as they think.

Hockey in August has felt weird and unpleasant to me. I don't even like when the Stanley Cup runs past Memorial Day, which it always does now.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

3 hours ago, Digby said:

In terms of long-term effects in the big North American leagues -- I tend to agree with the consensus that MLB will be holding onto many of its bad ideas. I've watched almost no baseball this year, a combination of Hulu not having my team's RSN and of the Red Sox trading away Mookie freakin' Betts. From what I've read the games are bad not just because the roster is bad, but the longtime Red Sox tradition of interminably long games is as bad as ever, maybe worse. No thanks!

I don’t see the NBA going with a December-August schedule permanently, but I can see a November-July schedule becoming the norm in the future.

I think that could be the best balance for the NBA. That largely takes the NBA out of the NFL’s shadows in the fall, puts them up against the first half of the MLB season, and minimizes the schedule whiplash once the world gets out of the pandemic. I kind of like the idea of the NBA Finals happening around Independence Day (and of course, Canada Day 😉).

(Granted, it’s only been what, 3-4 years, since the NBA pushed the start of their schedule up to mid-October, right?)

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

1 hour ago, DustDevil61 said:

(Granted, it’s only been what, 3-4 years, since the NBA pushed the start of their schedule up to mid-October, right?)

Just about, but this year the start moved back to the late 20s in October like it had been previously, so the schedule tinkering is a work in progress. November-July probably works, too. Still would presumably require the concert tours industry to be less summer-heavy and more spread through the year, to admiral's point, but that seems like an achievable nudge.

Reading on the RSN issue here. 22 NBA markets sharing MLB RSNs does seem like the major hurdle and is way more than I thought! Maybe there's some creative way to handle that, or maybe the great cord-cutting wave will finally happen for real this time and render channel collisions moot.

How many NBA teams don't control the master leases on their arenas? The big ones I can think of that don't are the Celtics, Lakers, Clippers, Pistons, and 76ers. With the L.A. teams, you're running up against AEG, which may be particularly averse to messing with the system. 

If the NBA were to play games in June, July, and maybe August, how would this affect MLS? MLS and the NBA tend to overlap in several markets and are/will be the only 2 teams in Portland, Salt Lake, Sacramento, Orlando, and Central Texas. While all of those markets are fine now, having you're 2 major sports teams directly competing has to hurt. One of the main reasons, other than weather, that MLS has a summer season (In contrast to most soccer leagues) is that they are only competing with MLB and sorta the WNBA. Speaking of the WNBA, one of their main draws is being the only 5v5 basketball on in the summer. Would they move the season to fall, trying to squeeze it in between the NBA Finals and NCAABB tip-off?

MLS definitely picks up in the summer...but the schedule is basically the entire year from March to November (and used to be December). They really only miss NFL playoffs.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

In cities with sports complexes that are near residential areas, I'm not sure how they'd feel about having even more multi-event nights than they already do.

I hadn't thought about the RSN thing, but yeah - even though I'm sure most RSNs have an "a" channel and "b" channel, it's not in their best interest to compete with themselves any more than they have to.  I'll wager that the NBA/MLB clashes would occur far more often than the NBA/NHL ones, and you'd still have that weird time where there's NBA/NHL/MLB crossover and games are on Cozi TV or some other jabroni channel.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

We won't have Jabroni Overflow in Chicago anymore now that the Cubs are off NBC Sports and everyone is off WGN. I think there was a night that all four teams were playing across WGN, CSN, CSN+, and a rare appearance of CSN+2, which was, like, the real estate listings channel or something like that. And this was before you could just yell "NAME OF SPORTS TEAM" at your remote and it would magically take you there.

I'm not that sophisticated.  The last time all the teams played on the same day, I was frustrated going through every single godsdamned channel until I realized the Phillies had been relegated to one that doesn't even have an HD version.  They don't seem to look as bad in 480i as they do in 1080p.

Archived