Pauly

The Sports Impact of COVID-19

12 hours ago, BBTV said:

I'm not that sophisticated.  The last time all the teams played on the same day, I was frustrated going through every single godsdamned channel until I realized the Phillies had been relegated to one that doesn't even have an HD version.  They don't seem to look as bad in 480i as they do in 1080p.

Were you talking about the night they were on the Cozi channel? That was a strange night.

NHL is the first of the Big 5 sports leagues (NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB and MLS) to finish and crown a champion in the COVID Era.  The NBA is down to their last two teams: Miami and LA Lakers.

What’s going to happen with the Titans and Vikings?

Apparently the games are still on. Per Adam Schefter:

NFL wants to and intends to play the Titans-Steelers game as scheduled Sunday; one of the contingency plans to allow for additional testing and contact tracing to occur would be to move the game to Monday night, per source.

The league would be foolish to continue as planned IMO. They should postpone the game until after Week 17.

53 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

NHL is the first of the Big 5 sports leagues (NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB and MLS) to finish and crown a champion in the COVID Era.  The NBA is down to their last two teams: Miami and LA Lakers.

So many people were apopleptic with derision for the NBA and NHL (and MLS); for all their flaws, they deserve credit for coming up with a plan, a difficult and expensive one, that worked out. I guess I'm surprised that MLB made it through their regular season. But I wouldn't say "pleasantly" surprised since the scheduling was a farce and it might have wrecked Eduardo Rodriguez's career.

2 hours ago, JWhiz96 said:

The league would be foolish to continue as planned IMO. They should postpone the game until after Week 17.

The rumored plan would be to have Titans vs Steelers week 7 and move the Steelers vs. Ravens back a week to week 8 on the week of their supposed off week.  

2 hours ago, JWhiz96 said:

would be a good idea (and if there is no playoff implications just outright cancel it)

Just now, goalieboy82 said:

would be a good idea (and if there is no playoff implications just outright cancel it)

this might be one of those times the league has to bit the bullet on this one (what happens if they don't play it at all, what does the league/union rules say on something like that).  

I think a lot of people are underestimating the NFL's ability to not give AF. Baring multiple players and coaches literally dropping dead on camera, I fully expect the show to go on.

6 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I think a lot of people are underestimating the NFL's ability to not give AF. Baring multiple players and coaches literally dropping dead on camera, I fully expect the show to go on.

True. Brains are more valuable than lungs and they let players turn into vegetables on-camera for decades.

8 hours ago, Digby said:

So many people were apopleptic with derision for the NBA and NHL (and MLS); for all their flaws, they deserve credit for coming up with a plan, a difficult and expensive one, that worked out. I guess I'm surprised that MLB made it through their regular season. But I wouldn't say "pleasantly" surprised since the scheduling was a farce and it might have wrecked Eduardo Rodriguez's career.

I was super cautious about both the NBA and NHL's plans.  The NHL is done and went off without any positive tests.  The NBA is almost done.  

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football-recruiting/2020/10/117358/the-hurry-up-in-state-target-blake-miller-breaks-down-top-five-all-american-bowl-canceled-derrick-davis

All American Bowl has been cancelled as well as the National High School Football Combine. Under Armour Game is still a go.

On 10/16/2020 at 6:31 PM, DEAD! said:

Imagine being eliminated ftom the

playoffs... but can still win the title because the team that beat you cannot play the final because of positive results? 

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/54574710

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/54627360

Wasps have been cleared to play.

2 minutes ago, DEAD! said:

Well, someone has to be Exeter's victim. 

After the whooping Wasps gave Bristol I think this will be pretty competitive. 

LA Dodgers win the World Series, making it the third league out of the big 5 to crown a champion in the middle of a Pandemic despite having a not so great start.