The Sports Impact of COVID-19

Pauly

18 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

LA Dodgers win the World Series, making it the third league out of the big 5 to crown a champion in the middle of a Pandemic despite having a not so great start.

With one of their players testing positive in the middle of a clinching game. Good lord if there was a Game 7 and everybody gets it and it results in a canceled WS it should get 30 for 30 treatment pronto.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wisconsin redshirt freshman QB Graham Mertz looked amazing in his first start on Friday (20 of 21). Then on Saturday he tested positive.  He started because the (former) starter Jack Coan broke his foot in practice. Apparently Mertz had been hanging out with the third-stringer who also tested positive. So Wisconsin is down to their fourth string QB to be backed up by a RB who played QB in high school. 

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

1 hour ago, OnWis97 said:

Wisconsin redshirt freshman QB Graham Mertz looked amazing in his first start on Friday (20 of 21). Then on Saturday he tested positive.  He started because the (former) starter Jack Coan broke his foot in practice. Apparently Mertz had been hanging out with the third-stringer who also tested positive. So Wisconsin is down to their fourth string QB to be backed up by a RB who played QB in high school. 

Paul Chryst also positive. Wisconsin vs Nebraska cancelled.

It's where I sit.

16 minutes ago, schlim said:

2021's Boston Marathon postponed from April to a date to be determined.

at this point, while the virus may not be around then (or we might have a vaccine by then) it might be the best just in case (because it might come back around again).

so long and thanks for all the fish.

Just a topic of conversation for this thread...

Has anyone else really not enjoyed any of the sports since coming back? I was thrilled when sports returned in the summer. I enjoyed baseball for a little while and I enjoyed the Stanley Cup playoffs. The NBA bubble was even fun. But, for some reason, I haven't been able to get into the football season at all, pro or college. I don't know why football has felt so different for me.

5 hours ago, JayMac said:

Has anyone else really not enjoyed any of the sports since coming back? I was thrilled when sports returned in the summer. I enjoyed baseball for a little while and I enjoyed the Stanley Cup playoffs. The NBA bubble was even fun. But, for some reason, I haven't been able to get into the football season at all, pro or college. I don't know why football has felt so different for me.

MLB felt off. I watched the games and enjoyed them, but not caring about the season as a whole. NHL I watched about what I normally do when my team is out of the playoffs. NBA was weird, but I watched until my team was knocked out.

PRO14/ League of Ireland? This year is the most i've watched, with how accessible it is now with ESPN+ and LOI launching their streaming pass.

For me, it's still the same. If I can watch you easily I'll watching and enjoy.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

5 hours ago, JayMac said:

Football has been the one sport I have been into. Inasmuch as NFL games have already been a TV show first and foremost for years, they've had the most normality to them. You don't even see the stands in most shots. Watching football on Sundays has brought the most routine back into life. That was the NFL's mandate more than any other sports league and I think they did it.

My interest in bubble NHL was minimal after the Blackhawks were out, nonexistent in the NBA without the Bulls, and baseball never felt right with the constant reminders of emptiness and the stupid new rules. 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Yes, it was a 60 game season (37% normal length) with random, on-the-fly rules changes that really made it difficult for me to care whatsoever. I mean, I had another obvious distraction, admittedly - the Lightning's playoff run - so maybe I'm not the best person to talk on this matter, but even on either non-hockey nights or very hockey-lite nights, or weekend afternoons, the interest wasn't there, at all. I actually surprised myself with this because watching baseball during the season has been standard for me since I was a teenager and I thought I would still be able to get into it, but it just never happened.

spacer.png

10 hours ago, JayMac said:

No.😁

I don't watch the NBA other than an occasional glance.

I watch the Stanley Cup playoffs religiously, but can't follow the regular season because i don't have a team.

MLB was needed for "normalcy"  so I probably watched more of it than I ordinarily would have.

The only thing I am missing from the NFL is going to Lambeau.  Since I should be there tomorrow, my son and I are going to cook brats on the grill after church and before kickoff. It will be our own mini-tailgate.

It's where I sit.

13 hours ago, JayMac said:

I absolutely loved the Stanley Cup playoffs this year. The extra round combined with pretty much every team winning the series I wanted them to was damn fun. The NFL is going great too so far. I agree with everything everyone else has said about MLB, the rule changes combined with the uniform advertisements, shortened season, and expanded postseason made it feel like a farce and I didn't watch a single game.

I know that Adam Silver said in May 2019 that the NBA wasn't looking at expansion at this time, but if they want to recoup their financial losses, he may have no choice but to announce NBA expansion as soon as the pandemic is over.  

10 hours ago, GDAWG said:

I know that Adam Silver said in May 2019 that the NBA wasn't looking at expansion at this time, but if they want to recoup their financial losses, he may have no choice but to announce NBA expansion as soon as the pandemic is over.  

Sure, Seattle deserves a team, but expansion has to be looked upon more as a last desperate option, doesn't it? Remember how much the old ABA teams (Nets, Spurs, Nuggets, and Pacers) fought so hard to resolve paying a cut to the old owners of the Spirits of St Louis? Those teams were paying up to 16 million a year and finally settled by paying them off with a 500 million dollar lump sum, because the TV shares are that valuable.

Expansion fees (remember, Seattle paid $650 million to enter the NHL!) are great and two teams could easily cover a 1.5 or most of a 2.5 billion dollar loss (2020 and 2021), but every team's cut of the TV share drops as well - from 1/30th to 1/32nd. Seems like the owners and players are going to have to figure something out, bite the bullet and ride out the painful losses for a few years and (perhaps) come out of this (soon?) (maybe?) in better financial shape than having taken two extra cuts of the pie.

On the other hand, I fully expect baseball to not only add two teams, but cut the 40 minor league teams and then sell another 8 new minor league teams to the highest bidders as well, while cluelessly rewriting their rules to try to make every cent they can now.

16 minutes ago, the admiral said:

The 32nd team will be a second Bay Area team. Who else has the money anymore? 

You're not wrong about that. And bonus, that team will be in SF too.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

My main two sports are basketball and soccer, and I'd say my interest in those was the same as ever. I even watched a little more non-Bruins Stanley Cup than I typically do. For me, yes, the empty arenas and scheduling nonsense was strange, but it didn't rise to the level of farce the way this year's football scheduling hijinks or funhouse baseball did, so I was lucky in that regard. (Also I was turned off of baseball for other reasons, with Hulu dropping NESN and the friggin Mookie trade.)  I don't really know what else to do while indefinitely staying home besides watching sports; can't relate at all to the people who were too glued to campaign-season cable news instead.

Oddly -- I usually watch the big tennis matches but this year I found the fan-less US Open to be much less compelling. Even though that's one where we're used to quiet. No explanation there.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

The only sport I regularly attend in person is MLS soccer, and I'll be honest that my Sounders interest has waned. I still try to catch the games if I know they're on, but I never know when they're on anymore, and don't particularly go out of my way to find out. In my head, they're permanently on COVID reschedules so it doesn't make sense to care. Plus, they're playing the same four teams over and over again, so it feels weird to even care.

I watched every minute of bubble NBA basketball I could and thought it was a phenomenal success. Also, my favorite team and player won so that helps.

I don't watch MLB as a rule so can't speak to the World Series. Though from what I gather, the whole sport is reckoning with itself on just what exactly baseball is. It sounds like a chore to watch. I remember teams trying to field competitive rosters and that just doesn't seem the goal of MLB. Expanding the playoffs is good to me though!

Football is fine. I'm still pissed that at the Titans but otherwise, the NFL has been mostly the same as it ever was, even without fans. Players bouncing back in a week after contracting COVID is kind of weird though.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Archived