The Sports Impact of COVID-19

Pauly

NFL: Interest is about the same as normal - meaning, it's the league I follow most out of the big 4/5. It really helps that, like others have said, it feels the most normal of all.

NBA: Kept up with it, didn't watch much. Had too much going on to follow too closely.

MLB: Kept up with it, didn't watch much. Had too much going on to follow too closely.

NHL: Kept up with it, didn't watch much. Had too much going on to follow too closely.

NCAA Football: Actually watching this a bit more than normal - which is weird, because I've dug my heels into not caring about NCAA Football. I lived 20 minutes from Clemson for 2 years, and they made the National Championship both years - I didn't go to a game.

NCAA Basketball: I see myself following mid-major NCAA Basketball just as much as I did in previous years, which is a lot. It helps that I just took a new job yesterday at another university - I'll have yet another mid-major team to follow. I'm excited to see what happens with the season, and I think the MTEs have a lot of potential as something that could be utilized in future (hopefully non-COVID...) years - presuming they go well, of course.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As somebody who is working from home and has a questionably legal way of watching the Canadian feed of NHL games without commercials, August was an amazing month for me. I'm sad that there's never going to be random 11am playoff hockey again. That Friday afternoon Game 7 vs Colorado will always have a special place in my heart (yes, I'm a Stars fan).

I think I might be out on everything else. I use college football as background noise on Saturdays, but that's about it.

29 minutes ago, DrAwesomeberry said:

As somebody who is working from home and has a questionably legal way of watching the Canadian feed of NHL games without commercials, August was an amazing month for me. I'm sad that there's never going to be random 11am playoff hockey again. That Friday afternoon Game 7 vs Colorado will always have a special place in my heart (yes, I'm a Stars fan).

I think I might be out on everything else. I use college football as background noise on Saturdays, but that's about it.

So true!!

I mean, I'm not really wishing for this, but it was Awesome!

It's where I sit.

9 hours ago, DrAwesomeberry said:

You're definitely right about that. Getting two full rounds + the qualifying round of non-stop playoff hockey all day every day from noon onwards was some kind of intoxicating fun. Not for good reasons and hopefully won't happen again because of those reasons, but definitely gave a pretty decent spin on a terrible situation. 

spacer.png

2 hours ago, Kramerica Industries said:

You're definitely right about that. Getting two full rounds + the qualifying round of non-stop playoff hockey all day every day from noon onwards was some kind of intoxicating fun. Not for good reasons and hopefully won't happen again because of those reasons, but definitely gave a pretty decent spin on a terrible situation. 

Yeah, obviously the circumstances that led to the tournament are horrible, and there are very good reasons why playing afternoon games on weekdays is a bad idea. There's no reason why you couldn't stagger start times every Saturday though, especially during the regular season where often they'll be 5-6 games all starting around 7et.

Going into it, I just kind of assumed the league would screw it up and there'd be canceled games all over the place because it's the got dang NHL, so I was pleasantly surprised when it went off without a hitch. Having really low expectations is generally a good strategy for 2020.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.news-herald.com/sports/high-school-sports/high-school-football-state-championship-games-moved-to-fortress-obetz-this-year/article_a5c069f8-1d2d-11eb-b84d-1761634cde6b.html

Ohio high school football championships will be played at Obetz. Mainly because it's cheaper to play there than in Canton or at Ohio State. I believe orignally they were considering multiple locations for each championship game. Televising all of the games would have been an issue though. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

5 minutes ago, Red Wolf said:

We are now at 13 postponed or canceled games in college football this week. Everything is going so well.

And since teams are running out of open dates, some of the postponements may be cancelled. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

6 minutes ago, dont care said:

That’s far less than I was predicting honestly

I believe it's the most we've had this season, but we have (almost) every FBS team playing now. The amount of games being scratched out of the Big Ten and Pac-12 when they just got started is what's surprising to me.

UCLA-Cal are playing now at 9 a.m. local time game on Sunday since their opponents had to cancel. So I guess it's more like 11 games, but I think I saw that listed as the record back before the latest two cancellations.

How the hell do you house 64 teams in Indianapolis? Nothing against the city, but is it big enough for that?

Also - does a bubble make sense for a one-and-done tournament?  I guess the teams would have to arrive a week or two in advance, go through all the testing protocols, then half of them leave after one game, and 3/4 leave by the end of the first weekend?  Then do the winning teams stay in the bubble?  Most of them aren't real students anyway, but for the three or four that are taking classes, I guess they do their virtual studies from Indy?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

MLS playoffs are going to be farcical with several players returning from international duty with fresh COVID infections. Maybe the leagues are okay-ish for now, but turns out flying people all over the world for international games is a particularly bad idea right now.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

3 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

I was always told that we couldn't have a football playoff because of all the time they would spend away from class. I can't believe that was all nonsense.

What they didn't tell you is that it would take money away from the bowls, who are the people who really run the NCAA post-season 🙂

It's where I sit.

3 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

I was always told that we couldn't have a football playoff because of all the time they would spend away from class. I can't believe that was all nonsense.

Doesn't most of the playoffs take place after the semester is over anyways? At least nowadays they don't play championships until either right before Christmas for II and II, or after New Years for both Division I groups. I remember Michigan talking crap on Ohio State a few years ago because players were taking classes online so they could spend more time at the training facility. 

30 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

What they didn't tell you is that it would take money away from the bowls, who are the people who really run the NCAA post-season 🙂

Ding ding ding!!!! If Division III can have 24 teams in the playoffs, so can FBS. But that trip to Boise is more important than making Alabama play Memphis in an opening round of 16 game. The NCAA controls all of the other playoffs for every other sport but doesn't have the cajones to tell the Power 5 to get in line. Mainly because ESPN, Fox and CBS would be happy to write them a new contract. 

21 hours ago, BBTV said:

How the hell do you house 64 teams in Indianapolis? Nothing against the city, but is it big enough for that?

Also - does a bubble make sense for a one-and-done tournament?  I guess the teams would have to arrive a week or two in advance, go through all the testing protocols, then half of them leave after one game, and 3/4 leave by the end of the first weekend?  Then do the winning teams stay in the bubble?  Most of them aren't real students anyway, but for the three or four that are taking classes, I guess they do their virtual studies from Indy?

I wonder what other cities could do this? New York and Los Angeles have enough arenas to use for the tournament, though the3y'd have to work around the NBA schedules for Staples, or Madison Square Garden and Barclays. Florida could work as a way of spreading things into pods but I think you'd need to shrink the tournament this year to conference champs, and then pick from there to get to 24 or 32. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

45 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

I wonder what other cities could do this? New York and Los Angeles have enough arenas to use for the tournament, though the3y'd have to work around the NBA schedules for Staples, or Madison Square Garden and Barclays. Florida could work as a way of spreading things into pods but I think you'd need to shrink the tournament this year to conference champs, and then pick from there to get to 24 or 32. 

You only need one facility, if it is a football stadium. You set up 4 courts and cordone them off with curtains. My assumption is that there won't be fans there, so it's just a question of setting up the courts.

It's where I sit.

Just now, Sec19Row53 said:

You only need one facility, if it is a football stadium. You set up 4 courts and cordone them off with curtains. My assumption is that there won't be fans there, so it's just a question of setting up the courts.

They were talking about using Butler, the Pacers arena and Lucas Oil Stadium, so I'd assume they're looking at having at least two to three stadiums in use for a single location. I just don't want to see the virtual fan walls. I'm so sick of them now, along with every other commercial that has people talking through their computers and phones now. . 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

They were talking about using Butler, the Pacers arena and Lucas Oil Stadium, so I'd assume they're looking at having at least two to three stadiums in use for a single location. I just don't want to see the virtual fan walls. I'm so sick of them now, along with every other commercial that has people talking through their computers and phones now. . 

Thanks. I clearly hadn't read the proposal and was just guessing at how it would be done.

It's where I sit.

The entire 6 team North Division of the ECHL is suspending operations for the upcoming season due to Covid. Adirondack, Brampton, Maine, Newfoundland, Reading, Worcester join Atlanta and Norfolk who have previously gone on covid suspension. The league had targeted a mid December start for some teams and a January start for others. Teams have until November 30 to decide if they will play this season or sit out.

Signature intentionally left blank

Archived