The Sports Impact of COVID-19

Pauly

On 3/11/2021 at 4:53 PM, Digby said:

Almost every state is doing it now, even the ones who have generally been very cautious. I might consider going to an outdoor game at 10-20% capacity at this point, but any more seems like pushing it, and I'm happy to push off indoor arenas til I'm vaccinated. 

I've attended a few football games this spring at 25% capacity. It's actually been quite nice.

Of course, not everyone has been social distancing throughout the game - but if you're cautious, I feel like it's rather low-risk. I arrived early, found one of the more empty sections, and had no one on my row or within 2 rows above or below. Wait a few minutes after the game to miss the exit rush, and it's rather easy to minimize your contact with people. I've enjoyed it quite a bit - the short concession and bathroom lines are a bonus as well.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

https://www.bbc.com/sport/baseball/57413084

Australian baseball, as well as Taiwan and China have pulled out of the Olympic baseball qualifiers in Mexico. Australia said the timelines are such that they weren't comfortable with trying to meet the deadlines. Not sure why Mexico was picked over another Asian area with less Covid issues, but it's disappointing to see three of the better known teams out of the competition before it even begins. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

17 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/baseball/57413084

Australian baseball, as well as Taiwan and China have pulled out of the Olympic baseball qualifiers in Mexico. Australia said the timelines are such that they weren't comfortable with trying to meet the deadlines. Not sure why Mexico was picked over another Asian area with less Covid issues, but it's disappointing to see three of the better known teams out of the competition before it even begins. 

I’m very surprised that the Olympics are still a go. 

1 hour ago, bosrs1 said:

I’m very surprised that the Olympics are still a go. 

If UEFA still thinks they can play a tournament across an entire continent I'm not surprised the IOC wants to go ahead with this.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

4 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

If UEFA still thinks they can play a tournament across an entire continent I'm not surprised the IOC wants to go ahead with this.

Difference in the perception of the COVID rate in the home country (and local opposition). Plus UEFA didn't have key countries in events dropping out. 

2 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

Difference in the perception of the COVID rate in the home country (and local opposition). Plus UEFA didn't have key countries in events dropping out. 

They did have to take games away from a couple countries due to outbreaks and stadium occupancy rules, but you're correct in regards to teams just dropping out. I wonder what we'll see when Copa America starts too. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

3 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

They did have to take games away from a couple countries due to outbreaks and stadium occupancy rules, but you're correct in regards to teams just dropping out. I wonder what we'll see when Copa America starts too. 

Oh jeez, that :censored:show of a tournament should have been postponed. If Brazil, who are one of the worst COVID countries on Earth is your host, you know you've got issues. 

1 minute ago, bosrs1 said:

Oh jeez, that :censored:show of a tournament should have been postponed. If Brazil, who are one of the worst COVID countries on Earth is your host, you know you've got issues. 

It's worse than that. Argentina was removed as an initial co-host because of COVID-19 issues. How bad does it have to be that Brazil is a better option?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

41 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

It's worse than that. Argentina was removed as an initial co-host because of COVID-19 issues. How bad does it have to be that Brazil is a better option?

It ha$ to be $o bad if it'$ come to that $tate of affair$. 

2 minutes ago, DEAD! said:

As crazy as it sounds, maybe CONMEBOL should have moved the tournament to the US or Europe and have the games in places that don't have Gold Cup or Euro 2020 games. 

I think they wanted to do that, so maybe Concacaf said not a chance? I could see them doing that. The CONMEBOL games could be played in Florida, California  and Georgia. If the complaint is about fans being present, I don't think they'll even have fans in the stadiums in Brazil. I know that was the case in Argentina. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

43 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

I think they wanted to do that, so maybe Concacaf said not a chance? I could see them doing that. The CONMEBOL games could be played in Florida, California  and Georgia. If the complaint is about fans being present, I don't think they'll even have fans in the stadiums in Brazil. I know that was the case in Argentina. 

Pretty sure I read no fans as well in Brazil. Which begs the question, why didn't they consider the US or another safer location then if fan attendance wasn't a concern? 

I'm not sure if this is why or not, but I know CONMEBOL had a round of World Cup Qualifiers (which are one big home and home round Robin which they're very behind on already) at the start of this week, so it's possible that they weren't able to work travel/potential quarantine arrangements with a neutral host in time for the Copa

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

18 hours ago, waltere said:

I'm not sure if this is why or not, but I know CONMEBOL had a round of World Cup Qualifiers (which are one big home and home round Robin which they're very behind on already) at the start of this week, so it's possible that they weren't able to work travel/potential quarantine arrangements with a neutral host in time for the Copa

If US has them at Tier 4, they probably aren't getting let in unless the players and staff can prove they've had shots. UK is Tier 3 and that means 10 day quarantine regardless if they had a vaccine or not. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived