The Sports Impact of COVID-19

Pauly

1 hour ago, Viper said:

In other words, Gobert isn't even necessarily the NBA's Patient Zero; he's just the first who happened to test positive. The real Patient Zero could have been literally anyone in the league who was present for one of these recent games.

While the point is valid (how quickly this could spread in a league) that chart isn’t correct

edit: actually the premise of this is completely wrong. It starts with Toronto, who hasn’t played since playing Utah on Monday. Toronto played Sacramento the night BEFORE they played Utah. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, OaklandIsBack said:

While the point is valid (how quickly this could spread in a league) that chart isn’t correct

edit: actually the premise of this is completely wrong. It starts with Toronto, who hasn’t played since playing Utah on Monday. Toronto played Sacramento the night BEFORE they played Utah. 

For sake of specifics, let'd do some chronology:

Rudy Gobert was tested positive for coronavirus on March 11.  The incubation period is around 2-14 days according to the CDC.  In the maximum 14 days from March 11, the degrees of separation are as followed:

0. Jazz (via Gobert)

1. Wizards (via Jazz, 2/28), Cavaliers (via Jazz, 3/2), Knicks (via Jazz, 3/4), Celtics (via Jazz, 3/6), Pistons (via Jazz, 3/7), Raptors (via Jazz, 3/9), Thunder (possibly via Jazz, 3/11)

2. Warriors (via Wizards, 3/1), Kings (via Wizards, 3/3), Trail Blazers (via Wizards, 3/4), Hawks (via Wizards, 3/6), Thunder (via Knicks, 3/6), Nuggets (via Cavaliers, 3/7), Heat (via Wizards, 3/8), Spurs (via Cavaliers, 3/8), Bulls (via Cavaliers, 3/10), Pacers (via Celtics, 3/10), 76ers (via Pistons, 3/11)

3. Suns (via Trail Blazers, 3/6), Grizzlies (via Hawks, 3/7), Hornets (via Hawks, 3/9), Bucks (via Nuggets, 3/9), Clippers (via Warriors, 3/10), Mavericks (via Spurs, 3/10)

4. Magic (via Grizzlies, 3/10)

Which adds up to at most 25 out of 30 teams being potentially affected.

Silver made the right call, no matter how much it sucks.

hm7YvwN.png

OgzK3Ub.png

4 minutes ago, Sport said:

Re: The NFL Draft. I can't think of an event that needs fans less and would be dramatically improved by not having them there. Do the entire thing remotely. Who cares? 

They should do it in a conference room at the local Marriott like they did in the old days. I think it would be great.

Best to shut things down for a month and then hopefully get everything back online shortly after with minimal casualties then to let hundreds of thousands of people interact with each other all across the country spreading the disease.

Good on the NCAA and the NBA for being proactive about this.

I'm not as anti-college sports and anti-NCAA as most people here.

But cancel the tournament, you greedy bastards.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

8 hours ago, Viper said:
In other words, Gobert isn't even necessarily the NBA's Patient Zero; he's just the first who happened to test positive. The real Patient Zero could have been literally anyone in the league who was present for one of these recent games.

True, but when a guy deliberately and publicly exhibits risky behavior, just to mock precautions, he's going to shoulder some responsibility as the virus spreads in his workplace.

29 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

True, but when a guy deliberately and publicly exhibits risky behavior, just to mock precautions, he's going to shoulder some responsibility as the virus spreads in his workplace.

I suppose we're not supposed to talk about the non-sports angle, but I think Gobert is a great ironic story of the way people have been downplaying this.  I hope this part of it gets out...it may help.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

MLS suspending the season now too.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

20 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

As a Jazz fan, that’s where I’m at. It was stupid of Rudy to do that, even if he didn’t know that he was infected at the time. I’m just about positive that he wasn’t the first player to actually get the virus, given how subtle it seems to be to most people—professional athletes included—but you just can’t goof around like that with such a contagious illness that can adversely affect even a small portion of the population.

My gut says that the NBA (and possibly other leagues) will suspend games for about 2-ish weeks, then maybe do a slow rollout after that (maybe a week or 2 without fans, then allow them back) in time for the playoffs.

Ideally, what I hope comes out of this is that this becomes a tough learning experience for everyone involved: the leagues, the players, the fans, networks, and sponsors. I’m not sure that will quite be the case, especially in the case of the latter two, but only time will tell.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

4 hours ago, Sport said:

Re: The NFL Draft. I can't think of an event that needs fans less and would be dramatically improved by not having them there. Do the entire thing remotely. Who cares? 

Saving us from a floating red carpet across a fountain is some refreshing lemonade in this viral lemon grove.

VmWIn6B.png

Archived