Pauly

The Sports Impact of COVID-19

1 hour ago, FiddySicks said:

I usually avoid making statements like this because it’s pretty dramatic, but this is probably the craziest thing I’ve ever seen. 

The last time the world just kinda stopped like this was probably 9/11. 

I can't think of anything feeling more surreal since then. Seeing everything come undone last night felt like a fever dream.

Just now, Red Wolf said:

I can't think of anything feeling more surreal since then. Seeing everything come undone last night felt like a fever dream.

Of events I've been old enough to remember, this ranks up there with Berlin Wall falling and 9/11. This is one of those "the world has irrevocably changed and we don't know wtf happens next" moments. 

This will affect All Elite Wrestling's "Blood and Guts" event:

So is anything being done about the actual disease, or are we just gonna keep shutting things down until we all have nothing? I’m getting worried

2 minutes ago, BigRed618 said:

So is anything being done about the actual disease, or are we just gonna keep shutting things down until we all have nothing? I’m getting worried

It's a virus, so there's not much we can do to stop it. Viruses tend to just run their course. On a practical, non-sports level, most governments have gone from trying to contain it to trying to prepare for the full force of it.

It's gonna be a rough few weeks, months, or maybe even years.

3 minutes ago, BigRed618 said:

There are a couple studies for possible vaccines ongoing, one in London, England is offering $5000 to be a guinea pig and about 9,000 healthy people volunteered. Isolation only works for so long. I just think we don't get briefed as well on this as we do about the scarier parts of the disease.

2 minutes ago, BigRed618 said:

Treatments take a ton of time to develop. Preventive measures are easier, quicker, and effective. We are trying to  make sure we don't end up like Italy where as of today more than 1,000 people have died of Covid-19. 

We need to do both, but it's not like you can snap your fingers and have a medical treatment ready.  At the moment the best treatment is making sure people don't get it. 

at this point, would the NCAA (and the fans) be ok with taking just the Top 4 Ranked Teams and make that the Final 4 (playing it still in Atlanta but in a small arena there).  i think this might just be the way to go at this point (who knows what Tomorrow might be*)  

I would not be at all surprised if within the next few hours and days, XFL, NASCAR and PGA postpone events as well.  

9 minutes ago, goalieboy82 said:

at this point, would the NCAA (and the fans) be ok with taking just the Top 4 Ranked Teams and make that the Final 4 (playing it still in Atlanta but in a small arena there).  i think this might just be the way to go at this point (who knows what Tomorrow might be*)  

They would just be better off just canceling it this year. Any attempt to field an amateur tournament while all of the professional leagues are on hiatus is going to have MISERABLY bad optics, no matter how you try to frame it. 

The NCAA is corrupt, greedy and stupid as all :censored: That being said, they would have to be completely insane to try and push through and still play at this point.

1 minute ago, FiddySicks said:

They would just be better off just canceling it this year. Any attempt to field an amateur tournament while all of the professional leagues are on hiatus is going to have MISERABLY bad optics, no matter how you try to frame it. 

The NCAA is corrupt, greedy and stupid as all :censored: That being said, they would have to be completely insane to try and push through and still play.

1 minute ago, FiddySicks said:

The NCAA is corrupt, greedy and stupid as all :censored: That being said, they would have to be completely insane to try and push through and still play.

but you know they will try to (since they don't give a rats you know what about there players).

If the NCAA extends invites to schools for a tournament, the AD had better turn them down and ask them just what the :censored: is wrong with their heads. If not, and they decide to put their student athletes in harms way for the sake of the school’s athletic profits, the school board/alumni/boosters/administration/whoever else should demand the immediate termination, for cause, of that AD. 

4 hours ago, DustDevil61 said:

As a Jazz fan, that’s where I’m at. It was stupid of Rudy to do that, even if he didn’t know that he was infected at the time. I’m just about positive that he wasn’t the first player to actually get the virus, given how subtle it seems to be to most people—professional athletes included—but you just can’t goof around like that with such a contagious illness that can adversely affect even a small portion of the population.

3 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

I'm sure he didn't.  He was mocking the precautions and feeling invincible.  A high-profile example of what a lot of people are doing.

One thing that's amazing to me today is how Utah media in my twitter feed are defending Rudy in the face of the national backlash he is receiving. I expect that kind of stuff from some of my Jazz fan friends, but not necessarily from the local media (despite how rah-rah as local sports media has become these days). Folks need to acknowledge that he was an idiot for being so flippant about an epidemic that has already taken thousands of lives and directly impacted millions of others. You can't blame him for a stoppage that was inevitable, but you can blame him for propagating social-irresponsibility. But Utah is a strange place, so maybe my expectations should be readjusted...

6 minutes ago, FiddySicks said:

If the NCAA extends invites to schools for a tournament, the AD had better turn them down and ask them just what the :censored: is wrong with their heads. If not, and they decide to put their student athletes in harms way for the sake of the school’s athletic profits, the school board/alumni/boosters/administration/whoever else should demand the immediate termination, for cause, of that AD. 

There's no reason to play the tournament right now. Not with every major league suspending operations for at minimum two weeks. 

Now if for some reason this situation abates within 2 weeks to maybe even 6 weeks, why not name a conference champion and basically start with the Round of 32 with the auto-bid teams and basically have a truncated tourney? 

10 minutes ago, FiddySicks said:

The NCAA may not have a choice in this. My guess is state governments will shut it down before the NCAA even gets a chance to chase the money at the expense of its unpaid employees. At least I hope so. 

1 hour ago, BigRed618 said:

"Shutting things down" is really an important thing to do about a highly communicable disease like this. You know you aren't going to be able to completely eliminate exposure, so you do all you can to limit it. 20,000 people in one building for three hours who then go home to numerous surrounding communities is some pretty high-level exposure.

You limit exposure, people are still going to get sick, but over a longer period of time, so the health care system doesn't get overwhelmed. Those theoretical 20,000 people show up at clinics and hospitals over the course of two weeks instead of two days.

TORONTO — CFL Commissioner Randy Ambrosie released the following statement on Thursday afternoon:

“This is a difficult time for so many people in so many countries around the world. And it is certainly a difficult time for the Canadian Football League. At our very core, we are about bringing people together: teammates, competitors, fans, sponsors, Canadians, and at this point in our history, football playing and football loving people from partner countries on four continents.

But the health and safety of the entire CFL family is paramount — and it is  increasingly clear that we owe it to each other to take some extraordinary and temporary measures. That is why, effective immediately, we are cancelling our plans for regional scouting combines (in Montreal March 13 and in Edmonton March 20) and the CFL Combine ( in Toronto March 26-28).

We want the young athletes involved to know that despite this delay their dream remains very much alive and we will use every other possible tool at our disposal to evaluate them fairly prior to our Global Draft (April 16) and National Draft (April 30).

In consultation with the CFL Players’ Association, and in cooperation with our broadcast partners at Bell Media, we are also cancelling our media and content “car wash” featuring several top CFL players (March 23-24 in Toronto), out of respect and concern for our players and staff.

The football executives’ and rules committee meetings also scheduled for March 25, 26 in Toronto will now take place from remote locations via technology. Our clubs are cancelling their free agent camps in the US. And they are also cancelling school visits and other community outreach programs, regrettably but out of caution for our communities as well as our players.

Here at the CFL, we are optimistic by nature. We remain very hopeful that circumstances will allow us to resume our normal activities soon and well in advance of our regular season, which is scheduled to open June 11. On behalf of our league governors, I want to thank our players, football leaders, partners and staff for their understanding and patience. In particular, we thank our fans for their support and spirit. And we say to them: Be well. Keep the faith. We will get back to the business of bringing people together. And, more than anything, we look forward to being with all of you.”

It's not sports....(I mean, I guess all schools have teams so it's a weak link) but just saw that public schools in the province are getting an extra 2 weeks off.

To @Sodboy13's point it's all about minimizing risk. Meanwhile my boss won't send us all home. BTW all of can work from home on our laptop. Seems silly

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ontario-government-closing-schools-1.5495736