NWSL Concepts (Bay FC tweak added)

vtgco

4 hours ago, vtgco said:

Next up we have an update to my original FC Kansas City design to reflect the new Current branding:

kc_current_display_2.png

I'm not much of a fan of the Current's logo; it's basically just as bland and generic as the placeholder logo that preceded it. Hopefully the KC flag's fountain from my old FCKC concept can work under the new name.

The home jersey is just reflecting the striping of the logo, with inspiration from this gorgeous 2015 Reign jersey (I wish I could find one online), with the same pattern as my FCKC away jersey.

I would love to try some Kansas City barbeque someday, but until then this barbeque sauce + grill design away kit will have to do.

C&C appreciated!

For the away crest I'd make the outline white so that it shows up better. 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

25 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

For the away crest I'd make the outline white so that it shows up better. 

Fair point! Though true white feels a bit disruptive, so here are two similar ideas:

First, the outline in light blue/teal like the trim & socks:

kc_third_blue.png

And here it is in cream, which pairs quite well with the barbeque theme, but with not the blue trim, so I changed the trim to match:

kc_third_cream.png

Which is preferable?

52 minutes ago, vtgco said:

Fair point! Though true white feels a bit disruptive, so here are two similar ideas:

First, the outline in light blue/teal like the trim & socks:

kc_third_blue.png

And here it is in cream, which pairs quite well with the barbeque theme, but with not the blue trim, so I changed the trim to match:

kc_third_cream.png

Which is preferable?

You're right. The light blue works better.

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Okay, next up are updates to both Reign versions from before. Since they're my team, I scrutinize their branding extra hard, and over time I saw my old concept logos needed some cleanup.

I've grown unhappy with the kinda blocky face and crown on my Sounders-synergy version, so I played around with those a fair amount (and included a little Space Needle in the crown!) I'm much more pleased with it now.

As for the Olympique version, I've come to feel that the composition and font were a bit off, so I arched my updated crown to pair with the circle below it. The mountain is also tweaked to have more of a lithograph vibe; IDK if that works, but let me know.

sea_concept_6_compare.png       sea_olympique_compare.png

I also wanted to make some changes to the Olympique version's uniform set:

sea_olympique_display_2.png

First off, I swapped the light/dark–home/away distinction.

The dark (now home) jersey becomes a fauxback to the 2014 home jersey with the blue base and black center stripe. It retains the Puget Sound map in the black section, but introduces a new plaid raindrop design, since we can't let the Thorns have all the PNW plaid fun :P

I love the all-time list of Reign players on the new IRL away jersey, but sadly it appears on a design that says Lyon more than it says Seattle. Thus, my updated away jersey incorporates those names into a Pike Place Market-themed jersey. The ad becomes part of the famous neon sign, and the player names on the stripe are placed onto the market's floor tiles (which also feature names). Lastly, the Olympic mountains remain in the background from my old version.

• Like 4

• vtgco changed the title to NWSL Concepts (SEA updates)

Here's my take on the currently rumored leading candidate for expansion, an independent Bay Area team playing in the Earthquakes' stadium (which I had the pleasure to visit last September!)

So this design is inspired by the 2001-2003 Cyber Rays of the WUSA, whose overall brand was obviously a relic of the '90s/early '00s, and not a charming one IMO... But recently I was surprised to learn that rays *do* in fact live in San Francisco Bay, and so I thought, why not try to salvage the brand for the 2020s?

The logo plays all the San Jose hits: a microchip, rounded box app icon shape, and tech-y font for Silicon Valley, a color scheme mixing Sharks and city flag colors, and an itty bitty sunburst under the ray.

The home jersey kinda continues the theme with a glitch hoop design (MLS + Adidas called, I guess) with circuit-board trim.

The away jersey is a sorta fauxback to the inaugural jerseys, with the ray in the style of the original IRL logo sublimated.

• Like 4

• vtgco changed the title to NWSL Concepts (SJ added)

And the last entry I have in this brief return, some uniforms for the Gotham FC brand:

njy_display_tilt.png

The sash is a solid new brand element, but the IRL jerseys are still pretty plain. Here, I attempt to spice it up by adding the bannister design of the Statue of Liberty's torch.

The away jersey is based on the tile design demarcating the border between New Jersey and New York on the walls of the Lincoln Tunnel.

As always, C&C is appreciated, and thanks for checking out my little addendum here!

• Like 5

• vtgco changed the title to NWSL Concepts (Gotham added)
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 5/21/2022 at 10:23 PM, CaliforniaGlowin said:

I was thinking Orlando could use a new space branding to go with their space kits.

Okay, cool idea! It took me a bit, but here's my take:

orl_display_2.png

The Pride name and the Lake Eola fountain stay, but the container changes from the generic roundel to a style inspired by the Apollo 8 mission patch and these IRL team-branded fashion jersey patches.

The home jersey is a planet scene with an atmosphere full of palm frond-shaped clouds, and the away jersey is a stripy map of Florida.

While I was at it, I've thrown together a couple extra updates and teams, so tune in for a bit more!

• Like 6

• vtgco changed the title to NWSL Concepts (ORL v2 added)

A couple more updates to previous designs:

First, I wasn't quite happy with the composition of my Cranes concept, so I tried a slightly more abstract approach. Here's the comparison, along with the otherwise unchanged jerseys:

abq_compare.pngabq_display_a.png

And also, a very slight update to the North Carolina jerseys, and the introduction of a modified logo. The lion face is a mid-point between the WUSA-era and current logos, and the shield is now an acorn shape to represent Raleigh, the City of Oaks.

(The oak tree train of thought was inspired by @sparkychewbarky's Wizard of Oz-themed "Courage" logo, whose silhouette has prongs that look like oak trees!)

car_compare.pngcar_display_2.png

Hopefully those two are improvements on before.

New expansion team coming next!

• Like 4
  • Applause 2

• vtgco changed the title to NWSL Concepts (ABQ & NC updates added)

Not too long after I posted that San José concept, the rumblings of expansion continued, revealing that bids for the Utah Royals, Toronto, Atlanta, Cincinnati, and Austin are also very much in the running.

I've already done the first three, so here's one of the latter two:

cin_display.png

The name resurrects an old brand in Cincinnati soccer, the Riverhawks / Ladyhawks. I'm giving them the overall organization's name (since it's not in use anymore, it reflects Cincy a touch more, and "Ladyhawks" certainly feels out of place in 2022), but the records and foundation year of the original women's team (which outlived the men's side.)

Since the expansion bid is apparently associated with FC Cincy, the logo is modified from that team's brand. The top of the badge takes the shape of the tower of the Roebling Bridge.

The home jersey is loosely inspired by the checker pattern on parts of the Cincinnati Music Hall.

The Reds colorway away jersey is based on the bannisters and smokestacks of the local riverboats.

Hope you like it; C&C appreciated!

• Like 2
  • WOAH 1

• vtgco changed the title to NWSL Concepts (CIN added)
On 6/23/2022 at 10:07 PM, CaliforniaGlowin said:

I  thought of a team name called Jellyfish.

Sorry, I'm confused, does one of the existing concept look too much like a jellyfish? Or were you thinking about a new jellyfish-themed team? I wonder what city that could work for... Miami, perhaps?

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯

Anyways, here's Austin!

atx_display.png

@mcrosby has already done "Austin City", so I thought it would be fun to go with the other half of that reference here... But idk maybe that's a bit much ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The logo is based on the Barton Springs salamander endemic to Austin, forming an "a" shape.

Much like their brother club, the home jersey has vertical green stripes, but with a Hill Country-themed pattern.

The away is based on the armor of the nine-banded armadillo.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

• vtgco changed the title to NWSL Concepts (CIN & ATX added)

Green and pink look really good together, especially with that pattern. I'm a sucker for unusual color combos so the Austin team (and Albuquerque too) look sick to me. 

Love the amount of thought goes into the jersey designs as well. Magnifique.

• Love 1

On 6/26/2022 at 1:40 PM, jackkmart said:

Green and pink look really good together, especially with that pattern. I'm a sucker for unusual color combos so the Austin team (and Albuquerque too) look sick to me. 

Love the amount of thought goes into the jersey designs as well. Magnifique.

Yeah, I can't think of any real world teams using dark green and pink, but someone should! Closest thing I know of is the unofficial Newfoundland flagAt least there's one New Mexico team that uses the turquoise-yellow-red scheme :)

Glad you like the jersey designs; they can take a while :P

22 hours ago, VampyrRabbitDesign said:

That colour combination for Austin is beautiful.

Thanks!

On 6/26/2022 at 12:42 PM, CaliforniaGlowin said:

No, a new name called jellyfish. Maybe for the Bay Area? Miami could work too.

Okay; I think I have a basic idea for an alternate take on a Bay Area team from this... I'll try it out.

Another MLS ownership group has been mentioned a lot recently for an expansion team, Nashville:

nsh_display.png

This new brand is a reference to Music City and the Platinum record award, and the logo is a reworked version of the USL-era Nashville SC roundel. (It deserves to be resurrected somehow!) 

Hopefully the rivalry vs Atlanta wouldn't be too weird with two music-themed teams :P

The home jersey's pattern is based on the resonator guitar.

The away jersey is inspired by the titular garment of Dolly Parton's Coat of Many Colors, specifically the version found in the Country Music Hall of Fame. I hear that Dolly's a legend in Tennessee, but personally I don't know much about her or her music, so if any of you are fans of hers, I'd appreciate your thoughts on this one...

Thanks!

• Like 4

• vtgco changed the title to NWSL Concepts (NSH added)

Gray, Silver and Navy isn't the easiest colour combo to get to work, but it really works on the home and the choice of a resonator for the pattern is an inspired one.

The away shirt is brilliant. Only thing I would suggest is some Violet trim on the shorts and maybe some patches.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...