NWSL Concepts (Bay FC tweak added)

vtgco

Sounds like New Mexico fans are making waves in the USL, so here's a take on a women's team for the latest soccer hotbed:

abq_display.png

The Cranes are named after sandhill cranes, which migrate in great numbers through New Mexico. Unlike NM United, they take on a very Southwestern color scheme.

The home jersey is a hot air balloon pattern, inspired by ABQ's famous Balloon Fiesta.

The away jersey uses the iconic New Mexico chile on a kit of the brother team's colors.

I have one last team planned and almost ready, but if anyone has some suggestions for Atlanta designs, I might be able to get that to happen too.

• Like 15

• vtgco changed the title to NWSL Kit Concepts (ABQ added)
58 minutes ago, vtgco said:

Thank you for your feedback! I'm glad to hear you like Louisville's logo. I felt pretty clever with that idea.

I tried getting rid of the breaks on Toronto's home jersey, and I think it looks good but it's a bit static:

tor_home_0.png

I might need to workshop some more on it...

I think it's an improvement for sure. It's more clearly a T, which I like more than the previous version. I agree that it's still a bit static though. Do you think perhaps centering the T and doing the unique striping on both sides of the T would help? It would prevent you from putting the crest in the middle of the T and you'd probably have to get rid of the maple leaf, but maybe it'd feel less static? I think it's still a great look though.

Albuquerque is great. I love the home jersey with the hot air balloon inspired design, as well as the color scheme and peppers design on the away.

As for Atlanta ideas, the usual go-to is the phoenix rising from the ashes (I'm planning to do something like that for a baseball design soon), but there are also peach trees, Coca Cola, and the Olympics to draw inspiration from for Atlanta. And it's supposedly Hollywood Jr. I think MARVEL filmed a lot in Atlanta for their recent Captain America movies.

• Like 1

On 7/20/2020 at 11:40 AM, Megildur said:

As for Atlanta ideas, the usual go-to is the phoenix rising from the ashes (I'm planning to do something like that for a baseball design soon), but there are also peach trees, Coca Cola, and the Olympics to draw inspiration from for Atlanta.

Glad to hear you like ABQ, and I'll mess around more with Toronto shortly.

I think the Olympics suggestion was I needed to hear to get the ball rolling for Atlanta, so now I've got that one done first!

And it's another re-incarnation of the Atlanta Beat:

atl_display.png

I thought there was some potential in the poorly-executed original A & note logo, but it took me a while to think of interlocking them in this slightly different way. I added the Olympic flame above the A and a record to further represent Atlanta's burgeoning music scene.

It's in Atlanta black & red with a peach color added.

The home jersey is inspired by the city's original Terminus name. It has air traffic, reflecting the city's airport hub status, and railyards to show its railroad history, all emanating from a central point which represents Atlanta itself.

The away is based on the Olympic Cauldron from the 1996 Games. It's a bit weird so let me know if there's a way to improve it.

• Like 8

I guess I don't associate Atlanta with the Olympics as much as LA, St Louis, or Lake Placid. Maybe its because they happened relatively recently, or maybe because of the Bombing, I don't know. I do like the idea of a Coca-Cola theme. Its one of, if not the, most iconic American brands and has some nice potential.

I really like the colors and the pattern of Atlanta's away jersey. sportsfan7 makes a good point about the Olympics connection that I hadn't considered before, though I think your jersey could still work as a memorial to the upcoming 25th anniversary of the Atlanta Olympics bombing. Just last year, the Oklahoma City Thunder had their own memorial jersey, so it's been done before. Still, it could be a touchy subject.

As for the home, it reminds me of that old Gotye song 😆 but otherwise, it's great and I like the sublimated traffic designs especially. 

On 7/22/2020 at 9:06 PM, sportsfan7 said:

I guess I don't associate Atlanta with the Olympics as much as LA, St Louis, or Lake Placid. Maybe its because they happened relatively recently, or maybe because of the Bombing, I don't know. I do like the idea of a Coca-Cola theme. Its one of, if not the, most iconic American brands and has some nice potential.

On 7/24/2020 at 8:55 PM, Megildur said:

I really like the colors and the pattern of Atlanta's away jersey. sportsfan7 makes a good point about the Olympics connection that I hadn't considered before, though I think your jersey could still work as a memorial to the upcoming 25th anniversary of the Atlanta Olympics bombing. Just last year, the Oklahoma City Thunder had their own memorial jersey, so it's been done before. Still, it could be a touchy subject.

I guess I hadn't really thought about how that history might play into opinions on the away jersey; thanks for pointing that out. It's probably too light & fun of a design to work as a memorial jersey, so I could try something else entirely... As for the suggestion of a Coca-Cola kit, I'm a bit lost on how I'd keep it from feeling like just another ad, but I'll think on it some more.

On 7/24/2020 at 8:55 PM, Megildur said:

As for the home, it reminds me of that old Gotye song 😆 but otherwise, it's great and I like the sublimated traffic designs especially. 

Oh, come on, don't get that one stuck in our heads again! 😝

Also, I did some more work on Toronto. I tried the suggestion of centering the T and it was better but still kinda static. However, I tried it off-center with the actual curved T shape of the Toronto flag and I think it finally gets some nice motion to it!

tor_home_1.png

• Like 3

And now, the last team I have planned. It's probably unrealistic for a USL1 team in a relatively small city to field an NWSL team, even with Madison's eager fanbase, but the Mingos' branding is top-notch and this series is just for fun anyways!

msn_display.png

The team just had to share Forward Madison's unique color scheme, but it embodies a decidedly different mood. The name comes from Madison's famous modern architectural landmarks, including several works by Wisconsin-born Frank Lloyd Wright and his contemporaries. The logo depicts a window from one such work, the Monona Terrace and a drafting compass with a negative-space State Capitol building.

The home jersey loosely draws from the horizontal design of Wright's iconic Prairie School style, specifically the Jacobs I House.

The away jersey is inspired by the floral artwork of a different creative Madisonian, painter Georgia O'Keeffe. This flower is the wood violet, state flower of Wisconsin. I had a pretty good time trying to do something a bit more detailed & realistic than I'm used to!

I'll probably work on some updates for Atlanta and Los Angeles before I call it a wrap, but now I want to thank you all for your suggestions and feedback during this series!

Here are the logos and colors of the full league, as it stands:

_league.png

• Like 10

• vtgco changed the title to NWSL Kit Concepts (MSN added)
On 7/28/2020 at 3:12 PM, mcrosby said:

I'm glad you decided to go with Madison. I'd probably avoid FLW inspired design for them though, as he was a terrible womanizer and generally not a great dude. I'd lean into the Georgia O'Keefe inspo. 

Thanks for the feedback! It's always nice to get a local opinion. Thanks for bringing this point up; that totally didn't cross my mind (and they even mentioned it during my tour of Oak Park, IL, I forgot about it... 😬)

I just drew up a quick sketch of a painting-themed version of the logo with an easel, but it doesn't have the fun beveling and negative space stuff that I enjoyed while making the drafting compass. Also I don't know if I have a good name for it... Anyways I'll try to pull that together.

On 7/28/2020 at 6:08 PM, Punchy_Gungus said:

Everything in this thread is extremely well done. The badges, kits, everything looks amazing. You've done an amazing job in this thread.Bravo. 

Thank you! Glad to hear you liked it.

• Like 2

Here's an update to the LA uniforms that I pulled together after the announcement of the new team, which has no Barcelona connection. They seem to be using the name Angel City and a metallic rose gold color, so I wanted to work with that.

la_harp_display.png

The logo is framed by a clapperboard to represent Hollywood. I wanted to do angelic symbolism without infringing on any of the Angels' historical imagery (wings & halos), so I went with a harp. Hopefully this would allow a "Harpers" nickname rather than have a confusing second "Angels" team.

I've kept most of the design of the jerseys, but I replaced the Barcelona red stripes on the home with the stars of the Hollywood Walk of Fame, and old gold is replaced with rose gold.

• Like 7

• vtgco changed the title to NWSL Kit Concepts (LA v2 added)

Okay, since @mcrosby makes a good point about Georgia O'Keeffe being a more suitable inspiration than Frank Lloyd Wright, I reworked the Architects into the Madison Vanguard:

msn_display_2.png

This logo has an easel with a painted Madison flag and an MV monogram worked into the legs. The Vanguard name honors Madison's innovators in general rather than Wright specifically, and feels like an extension of the Forward brand.

I reworked the O'Keeffe flower away jersey into a swirly home jersey.

The new away takes the pattern of a muskellunge fish, a tribute to the defunct Muskies baseball team.

I'll plan to be back with a new away jersey for Atlanta to finish the updates for the series!

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • vtgco changed the title to NWSL Concepts (2022 Updates: LA v3 added)

I know it's been a while, but I wanted to quickly revisit this thread with a couple of brief updates, since we now have three new teams and a major rebrand IRL!

First off, here's a second version of Angel City, now that we have a sense of their IRL brand.

Their actual logo has really nice elements, but it feels so awkwardly composed, so here's a quick comparison of the original (L) and my tweaks (R). The halo is unnecessary but I thought maybe it's okay : )

la_compare.png

Onto the jerseys!

la_irl_display.png
My home jersey is by no means an attempt to outdo their excellent Art Deco design... This is just a possibility for a future design, inspired by their primary color's name of "Asphalt." That said, I do feel they need to introduce more pink into the mix, so I did that.

On 8/28/2020 at 7:04 PM, CaliforniaGlowin said:

I love Madison's colors! And Angel City's rose gold is just how I pictured it! I would love a cream and rose gold alternate.

Sorry for the two year delay, but here's my response to your idea for a cream Angel City jersey. It's based on the Griffith observatory.

I'll have San Diego up shortly!

• Like 7

Onto the other new SoCal team, the San Diego Wave!

sd_display_1.png

It was kinda tough to incorporate all of SD's colors, but I tried my best on the home jersey to do that. It uses a top view beach graphic I made a while back. Not sure if the pink trim adds much here, but I couldn't tell where else to put it.

The pink away jersey is based on the silhouette and sand + yellow stripes of the Gaslamp District sign.

Hopefully these designs do the very comprehensive SD Wave color scheme some justice, but C&C here would be appreciated.

EDIT: updated based on feedback from Megildur. See original here.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Applause 1
  • WOAH 2

• vtgco changed the title to NWSL Concepts (2022 Updates: LA v3 & SD added)

Great to see you back on this thread with more concepts, vtgco. I love both, particularly the "top view beach graphic" home jersey for San Diego.

Butttt, if you want ideas on how to incorporate pink more, I think a sunset/sunrise over the ocean kind of gradient jersey could be cool. Directly inspired by San Diego's logo. You could have blues at the bottom, then orange and pink for the sky, with the white of the sun/moon shining out from the logo on the chest or over the sponsor's name.

Oh my goodness, your San Diego kits are absolutely phenomenal! 😮

I love how detailed your wave texture is in terms of the "randomness" of the wave lines and the color gradients. The Gaslamp kits are also great, and I love the "grittiness" that your texture gives to the design. My only thing against it is that the sponsor logo seems a little small, but that's no big deal 🤔

San Diego is easily the best concept that I've seen you knock out (out of soooo many cool concepts), so excellent work here my friend! :)

13 hours ago, TheGiantsFan said:

Oh my goodness, your San Diego kits are absolutely phenomenal! 😮

I love how detailed your wave texture is in terms of the "randomness" of the wave lines and the color gradients. The Gaslamp kits are also great, and I love the "grittiness" that your texture gives to the design. My only thing against it is that the sponsor logo seems a little small, but that's no big deal 🤔

San Diego is easily the best concept that I've seen you knock out (out of soooo many cool concepts), so excellent work here my friend! :)

Hey, thank you so much! I was worried the texture on the away jersey would be too subtle (especially in comparison to the intricate pattern of the IRL sign, which I was too intimidated to try recreating myself), so it's a relief to hear it works.

I imagine it's more about the perfectly respectable concern of filling the space well, but it is funny to think anyone on the boards would be asking for *more* ad space : P

19 hours ago, Megildur said:

"top view beach graphic" home jersey for San Diego.

Lol wasn't expecting to be called out for my word salad today but okay

19 hours ago, Megildur said:

Great to see you back on this thread with more concepts, vtgco. I love both, particularly the "top view beach graphic" home jersey for San Diego.

Butttt, if you want ideas on how to incorporate pink more, I think a sunset/sunrise over the ocean kind of gradient jersey could be cool. Directly inspired by San Diego's logo. You could have blues at the bottom, then orange and pink for the sky, with the white of the sun/moon shining out from the logo on the chest or over the sponsor's name.

Anyways, glad you like the design! You've got a good idea here, so here's at least a first pass at that:

sd_display_update_1.png

Thankfully it didn't require too much messing around with old code to get it to this point : )

I'm not sure if the amount of pink I use here is too much to clash with the pink away jersey. TBH I'm not even sure this could even reasonably be used against a team in dark blue or light blue or red... ? IDK, curious if anyone has any thoughts on that.

• Like 5

In response to my Atlanta post back in 2020, @sportsfan7 had the idea of a Coca-Cola themed jersey:

On 7/22/2020 at 9:06 PM, sportsfan7 said:

I didn't want to do a red & white design or anything like a blatant corporate advertisement... but I think I found a way to do it subtly and tie in another Atlanta symbol to boot!

atl_display_third.png

My design is mostly based on the bark of the flowering dogwood tree, but also includes the shape of the old green bottles in the negative space of the blurry background. Hopefully, this soda brown and green number evokes soft drinks a bit, but isn't verging too much on advertisement, subliminal or otherwise... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 1

• vtgco changed the title to NWSL Concepts (2022 Updates: ATL third added)

Next up we have an update to my original FC Kansas City design to reflect the new Current branding:

kc_current_display_2.png

I'm not much of a fan of the Current's logo; it's basically just as bland and generic as the placeholder logo that preceded it. Hopefully the city flag fountain from my old FCKC concept can work under the new name.

The home jersey is just reflecting the striping of the logo, with inspiration from the IRL home jersey and this gorgeous 2015 Reign jersey. The texture is the same pattern as on my FCKC away jersey.

I would love to try some Kansas City barbeque someday, but until then this barbeque sauce + grill design away kit will have to do.

C&C appreciated!

• Applause 1