NWSL Concepts (Bay FC tweak added)

vtgco

43 minutes ago, vtgco said:

The new crest takes the shape and colors of the OL logo, but adds the Reign crown, and incorporates the "Olympique" moniker by showcasing the nearby Olympic Mountains.

I've been reworking my NWSL rebrand for Reign with just this in mind. Now I've got to do it without stepping on your toes. 

As usual, your work looks amazing!

• Like 1

On 4/5/2020 at 8:07 PM, mcrosby said:

I've been reworking my NWSL rebrand for Reign with just this in mind. Now I've got to do it without stepping on your toes. 

As usual, your work looks amazing!

Thanks for the kind words! I look forward to seeing your take. After seeing your series, though, I can't even imagine comparable logos for Utah or Washington for mine 😛

In my second take, I played out my preferred scenario where, instead of becoming an OL farm team, the Reign and Sounders organizations merge.

The logo was designed so it and my own Sounders concept (shameless plug) work alongside each other, restoring the fearless queen and adding the mountains of her dominion. Also, in my wishful thinking, the Seattle Reign name is back (it's just too clever to give up so easily!)

sea_concept_6_w_sounders.png

sea_concept_6_display.png

The home jersey is a rainy silhouette of Washington state. The Reign's traditional blue is back as the primary color.

The green away incorporates the needles of the native western red cedar into an abstract mountain design:

sea_concept_6_closeup.png

Curious to hear what look you all prefer! C&C appreciated.

• Like 10

• vtgco changed the title to NWSL Kit Concepts (Reign, part 2 added)

So I've kinda been struggling with DC, so instead I've turned to the first expansion team: Sacramento.

The minor league California Storm have been around since '95, and even boasts alumnae like Brandi Chastain & Alex Morgan. Recently they have been partnering with the Republic and playing at their stadium, so I could imagine that they could make the jump to the NWSL as the Republic's women's side.

sac_display.png

The new logo places the Tower Bridge behind an S combined with lightning bolts. The Republic's star sits at the bottom.

The gold and wine home jersey converts the city's Capitol Mall into a sublimated sash, inverting the traditional look of the men's side.

The magenta away jersey references Sacramento's nickname, "Camellia City," by arranging those flowers to form a rough map of the Sacramento-American river confluence.

sac_fauxback_display.png

Finally, the fauxback, slightly inspired by their 2017 jersey, uses the Storm's actual colors and my cleanup of their current logo to form the Sacramento flag.

Let me know what you think!

• Like 4

• vtgco changed the title to NWSL Kit Concepts (Sacramento added)
  • 2 months later...

I know it's been a bit, but I wanted to finish the current NWSL cities at least, and ended up pulling a few more together.

Rounding out the actual NWSL, it's Washington:

dc_display.png

The Spirit needed a new logo IMO, so I looked to the District's previous women's soccer team for inspiration, with a cherry blossom detail to spruce it up.

The home takes the real 2018-19 striped kit and adds marble details from the Lincoln Memorial as well as the DC flag.

The away is a design based on my stylization of the Smithsonian National Museum of African American History and Culture.

Finally, a fauxback jersey to the 2010-11 WPS-era jersey:

dc_fauxback_display.png

• Like 6

Personally, I'm not a fan of the NYCFC / Atletico Ottawa / etc. model of mega-rich teams forcing their brands onto other cities. So when the rumors about FC Barcelona & LAFC jointly fielding an NWSL team popped up, I was groaning but it did give me the idea to try to combine their brands.

Here's FCB LA:

la_display.png

The logo's just what it says on the tin: the LA & California flags in lieu of Barcelona & Catalonia, a combined shield shape, the FCB stripes.

The home merges LAFC's black & gold with FCB's blue & red.

The away is based on the LA city flag.

Not very exciting, but hopefully a palatable take on what could be a lot blander.

• Like 9

Next up, it's the return of the Boston Breakers:

bos_display.png

I kept the shape of the original shield, but threw the rest out in favor of a more old-school BB monogram. With the shape of letters, I tried to create a New England scene, with a lighthouse, some clouds, and (of course) a breaking wave.

The home jersey keeps the vertical stripes of the 2017 kit but adds a wave pattern.

The away jersey has a brick pattern based on the historic buildings on the Women's Heritage Trail in downtown Boston.

Finally, a quick 2009 fauxback:

bos_fauxback_display.png

• Like 4

To round out every real-life NWSL team, past and present:

kc_display.png

The old logo was pretty generic, so my new logo is based on the flag of Kansas City, MO, which combined the city's nicknames ("the Heart of America" and "the City of Fountains").

The league doesn't have a halved jersey team, so KC will adopt that style along with the colors of its 2016 home jersey.

The home jersey is an abstract design inspired by Kansas City's jazz culture, using the Blue Room sign in the historic 18th & Vine District.

The away jersey is just my take on the Sporting KC stateline jersey, with an abstract fountain pattern and the colors of the Kansas & Missouri flags.

I have a couple of half-formed ideas for Louisville and Atlanta, but I don't have a lot of inspiration for their jerseys or other teams, so let me know if you have some suggestions there. Hopefully I'll get those to you sometime relatively soon!

• Like 4

• vtgco changed the title to NWSL Kit Concepts (DC, LA, BOS, KC added)
3 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

Boston's badge is too plain. It needs a wave or something Boston specific to it. 

I actually tried to form a stylized scene of wave & a lighthouse & some clouds with the letters themselves. I guess the resolution was too low on the image to notice it.

Here's a closer look:

bos_logo_closeup.png

I agree that it's perhaps overly subtle, but I wasn't sure how else to incorporate them into the monogram.

47 minutes ago, vtgco said:

I actually tried to form a stylized scene of wave & a lighthouse & some clouds with the letters themselves. I guess the resolution was too low on the image to notice it.

Here's a closer look:

bos_logo_closeup.png

I agree that it's perhaps overly subtle, but I wasn't sure how else to incorporate them into the monogram.

I'd take the B with the wave and blow it up and remove everything else. The wave would stand out more with added colors.

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 6/30/2020 at 4:16 PM, MJWalker45 said:

I'd take the B with the wave and blow it up and remove everything else. The wave would stand out more with added colors.

Thanks for the suggestion. I just tried to make the logo with the single B while adding the details in a subtle shade of royal blue. It doesn't look bad, but I think it'd feel more at home on a baseball cap than a soccer jersey, IMO.

bos_b_logo.png bos_b_logo_home.png

Let me know if you have any more ideas for this one...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, vtgco said:

Thanks for the suggestion. I just tried to make the logo with the single B while adding the details in a subtle shade of royal blue. It doesn't look bad, but I think it'd feel more at home on a baseball cap than a soccer jersey, IMO.

bos_b_logo.png bos_b_logo_home.png

Let me know if you have any more ideas for this one...

I think this works better than the original. Look at Dynamo Dresden if you want inspiration for how to enclose the B instead of leaving it in the open.

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Next up are the upcoming expansion team in 2021, Louisville:

lou_display.png

The logo is straightforward: it's the fleur-de-lys, which appears on the city flag, but with horseshoes. It works the rumored "Racing Louisville" name, but I'm slightly partial to a more traditional North American nickname. It goes in the colors of Louisville City.

The home has white & purple hoops, the standard look for the team, and incorporates a design based on the mosaic on the wall of the Muhammad Ali Center.

The away is a combination of the silks (uniforms) worn by the jockeys that rode the only 3 mares to win the Kentucky Derby. The kit has bluegrass green shorts.

• Like 9

• vtgco changed the title to NWSL Kit Concepts (LOU added, BOS update)
On 7/10/2020 at 5:59 AM, cw20 said:

Loving the inlays!  For some reason the FCB LA away kit is my favourite, the pattern and colours really pop.

Thank you! Yeah, the LA city flag's zig-zag pattern is nice, isn't it?

On 7/5/2020 at 4:10 PM, MJWalker45 said:

I think this works better than the original. Look at Dynamo Dresden if you want inspiration for how to enclose the B instead of leaving it in the open.

bos_b_logo_2.pngbos_b_logo_home_2.png

Better this way than just floating alone, I think! Looking at Dresden was a good idea.

• Like 2

I tried to come up with something original for St Louis, but ultimately I couldn't come up with anything near the level of the old Athletica brand. Besides, someone has to use the Apotheosis of St Louis statue!

That said I did adjust the logo a tad, by ditching the busy stuff outside the shield and recoloring a bit. I wanted to keep the green but also add the city's traditional blue & red colors, so I went with a more muted color palette.

Here's a closeup:

stl_compare.png

stl_display.png

The home is a pattern based on a stylized map of the Cahokia Woodhenge, an ancient astronomical site discovered at the nearby remnants of the pre-Columbian city of Cahokia.

The away is based on the upcoming Missouri bicentennial license plate, bounded by the St Louis Arch.

Both jerseys have the team's excellent sword & crown secondary logo on the back.

I've got just a couple more ideas in the works, but your suggestions are still appreciated!

• Like 7

• vtgco changed the title to NWSL Kit Concepts (STL added, BOS update)

Apparently, I can't help but resurrect defunct teams (too indecisive to name these teams myself, I guess...)

Today, I'm restoring the women's side of Toronto's main pre-TFC club:

tor_display.png

Now affiliated with TFC, the team adopts the silver & charcoal secondary colors of their brother club. The logo has a new depiction of the lynx, with the cliffs of the Scarborough Bluffs as a backdrop.

The home jersey is predominantly double gray, but I think it would always include a splash of TFC red. This one is a T design based on the beautiful Toronto flag.

The away uses the team's original yellow color with a pattern using the triple maple leaves from the Ontario flag.

• Like 3

• vtgco changed the title to NWSL Kit Concepts (TOR added)

I'm a big fan of these so far, and I love the attention to detail especially. You do a great job of connecting the jerseys to relevant things from the respective city. For Toronto, I'm not sure how much the sorta broken up striping on the home works for me. I like the idea, but it feels a bit disjointed to me. I love St. Louis' away jersey and the home is solid too. I like the horseshoes in the fleur-de-lis as well, that's certainly unique and works well.

• Like 1

On 7/15/2020 at 9:24 PM, Megildur said:

I'm a big fan of these so far, and I love the attention to detail especially. You do a great job of connecting the jerseys to relevant things from the respective city. For Toronto, I'm not sure how much the sorta broken up striping on the home works for me. I like the idea, but it feels a bit disjointed to me. I love St. Louis' away jersey and the home is solid too. I like the horseshoes in the fleur-de-lis as well, that's certainly unique and works well.

Thank you for your feedback! I'm glad to hear you like Louisville's logo. I felt pretty clever with that idea.

I tried getting rid of the breaks on Toronto's home jersey, and I think it looks good but it's a bit static:

tor_home_0.png

I might need to workshop some more on it...

• Like 1