Friedrich Stuart Macbeth

39th's Giving Day: Miku Hatsune Hockey Jersey Concept

Hello, everyone. I'm FC Macbeth. Welcome back to another jersey concept.

First and foremost, let me give you the background of my artwork

Spoiler

I've been a Vocaloid fan for three years since 2017. My love for this voice synthesizer started with an old FBE video from 8 years ago, in which children reacted to a Vocaloid concert featuring well-known synthesizing idol Miku Hatsune performing a signature song called 'World is Mine' (by rock band Supercell's Ryo). Eventually, I started to hear other Vocaloid songs featuring her, albiet from different producers such as wowaka (you won't be forgotten), Hachi, Hamuraki Gohan, Hachioji-P and Kikuo (just to name a few). I also listened to other songs that featured other Vocaloids. And before you know it, yes. There is more to Vocaloid than just Miku herself!

I usually discovered songs via reddit (on r/Vocaloid), Youtube or through playing the Project DIVA rhythm games. In fact, I have a lot of them in my phone, because why the hell not? I just love listening to the voice of a high-pitched teenager singing about metaphorical suicide about rolling down the hill to the sound of epic rocking music.

Now you may be asking me why do I create a hockey jersey concept on an singer who doesn't exist. Well it's a complicated history.

Every year, March of 9th is considered to be Miku's Day (or the 39th's Giving Day). The reason why it's celebrated in that specific day is due to its word play in Japanese.

Spoiler

初音ミク

Above here is Miku's full name in both Kanji and Katakana. The Katakana part is where the interesting part starts. In Romaji, the 'ミ' in her first name stands for 'mi', whilst the 'ク' part is read as 'ku'. However, 'ミ' can alternatively be read as 'san' or three. Furthermore, 'ク' is pronounced almost the same as the kanji '九' or 'kyuu', which means 'nine'. When you put these two words together, Miku's first name can be translated as 'three-nine' or 'thirty nine'. In the Vocaloid fandom, the number 39 became associated with the aforementioned Miku due to the word play. In fact, in date form, 39 can be read as March of 9th, which is why the fandom (especially those who are a fan of Miku) hold a special day just dedicated to her on that particular day.

One last thing I like to mention is that 'ミク', in Romaji form, is closely pronunciation like the English word 'Thank You' (san-kyuu). It's regularly written in number form.

Now that I've got out of the way, let's look at the logo set and the jersey itself

BxoFSAcl.png

The primary logo featured what I like to call it a 'leek-stick'. Which is basically a leek combined with a hockey stick. Normally, this item is related to Miku due to the popularity of Otomania-P's cover of a Finnish folk song called 'Ievan Polka', where she is seen waggling her stick up and down. Meanwhile, the shoulder patch/pant logo is basically '01' in Hurricanes' font. This is a reference to her character design where her right shoulder has the number 1 to reference that she is first voicebank in the Character Vocal series created by Crypton Future Media.

cqiPoHol.png

The stripe design of the jersey is inspired both from the Canucks' infamous V jersey from the 80s and the Senators' chest design from their 3rd jersey. I experimented with different shades of teal before landing on the teal and turquoise colour scheme (I believe Miku is linked to the colour teal/turquoise due the colour of her hair and her clothes, I think). I pretty much ended up with a unique colour scheme that wouldn't look out of place for Seattle to use for their future franchise. As for the font. I used the Capitals' font from the Winter Classic jersey back in 2011 (pretty much the same as their debut jersey back in 1974).

tiRhHeEl.png

The second version is pretty much the same, except that turquoise is replace with black. Personally, this is what would the Sharks roughly look like if they lighten up the teal.

Well, here is my hockey concept. Spent about a few hours just from writing this post.

What do you think about this unusual jersey concept?

C&C is appreciated!

That leek stick is very creative and absolutely awesome! It feels like a logo and identity you’d see in a classic video game like 03 Hitz. This is a winner, I like both uniform options a lot.

Though I prefer the black accents, I really like the overall design. Maybe you could darken the shade of turquoise a bit, but not close to the teal on your first concept? And also, black numbers and NOB, all trimmed in white, might help, since it might be difficult for some to distinguish two light colors from afar. Anyway, nice work!

On 3/9/2020 at 9:02 PM, TheHealthiestScratch said:

That leek stick is very creative and absolutely awesome! It feels like a logo and identity you’d see in a classic video game like 03 Hitz. This is a winner, I like both uniform options a lot.

Glad you liked it, son!

21 hours ago, edjb93 said:

Though I prefer the black accents, I really like the overall design. Maybe you could darken the shade of turquoise a bit, but not close to the teal on your first concept? And also, black numbers and NOB, all trimmed in white, might help, since it might be difficult for some to distinguish two light colors from afar. Anyway, nice work!

C3fPWzUl.png

Here it is. I darken up the teal and change the font number to those used by the Penguins from the early 2000s.

6 hours ago, Bomba Tomba said:

Will you do the other characters?

As it turns out, I created other Vocaloid-themed jerseys long ago. So far, I have completed one for the rest of the Cryptonloids, plus both Gumi and Gakupo. I would need to tweak them, though.

2 hours ago, Friedrich Stuart Macbeth said:

C3fPWzUl.png

Here it is. I darken up the teal and change the font number to those used by the Penguins from the early 2000s.

Uh, I was actually referring to the turquoise in the jersey tops, not the teal in the pants. Sorry for the misunderstanding. But darkening the teal in the helmet and pants really helped. Don't get me wrong, I still like the update... 😉

6 hours ago, Bomba Tomba said:

Or why not replace the dark teal with pink? Isn't that also one of Miku's colors?

Come to think of it, I may use cherry blossom pink. Then again, that's only reserved to the Sakura Miku variant.