Illinois Students Vote In Favor Of Belted Kingfisher Mascot

Illinois Students Vote In Favor Of Belted Kingfisher Mascot

March 10, 2020 - 16:39 PM

Students at the University of Illinois last week voted in favor of adopting the Belted Kingfisher, an orange and blue bird native to the state, as the school’s mascot. The idea originated with senior physics and astronomy student Spencer Hulsey, […]

Read More...

Love the idea.

Please tell me they'll have a better logo, though.  Execution is horrendous:

illinois11-590x383.png

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

If their usage is similar to Utah's red-tailed hawk mascot, I doubt we'll see much in terms of kingfisher imagery in the athletic branding. Utah has some red-tailed hawk mascot logos (http://www.sportslogos.net/logos/list_by_team/892/Utah_Utes/), but you rarely see them used. Like with Utah's block U, I assume it will continue to be a lot of block I-related branding.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

Yeah, I hope that logo is just a little placeholder or something. It looks aged already.

I don't know how prominent the bird is going to be, but at least Illinois has a mascot they can use now.

Worth noting, for those who may not have clicked through to read the story, that this was a non-binding referendum. Also [emphasis mine]:

The results of this year’s vote will be shared with university administrators, including chancellor Robert Jones, who would decide if they want to adopt the Belted Kingfisher as the school’s new mascot. It’s worth noting a new mascot would not replace the Fighting Illini nickname but would act as a replacement to the Chief Illiniwek mascot banned by the NCAA in 2005.

No, the name is fine, functionally speaking it's just a modified form of "Illinoisans." Kinda pseudo-Latin. Just keep people from dressing as the Chief and it's fine.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

So are they now the ... Fightin' Kingfishers? 

Logo needs work.  Like, a lotta work.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

And for anyone who was originally slightly confused as I was, this wouldn't replace the name Illini as the team name.  It would just be a student in a bird costume

It’s worth noting a new mascot would not replace the Fighting Illini nickname but would act as a replacement to the Chief Illiniwek mascot banned by the NCAA in 2005

EDIT: ah okay I see other people have cleared that up also. Carry on

90758391980.gif

As someone who currently attends, I was pretty shocked with the result. The vibe I was getting around campus was that this would be shot down resoundingly. Anyways, now that this is most likely happening, I guess I'll hold off final judgments until I see a legitimately well-designed version.

I'd say that the current saving grace is that we can keep using feathers in designs, if I were coming up with the new logo set, that'd be something I play heavily on since a lot of the local fan shops as well as students have shirts with feathers paying homage to the headdress logo.

As a fan, I’m a fan. A Kingfisher is a cool bird and it makes for a unique mascot. As long as those logos above are not official, and I’m guessing they’re not because the “I” is not even close to the real block I, I think it would make for some really nice logos and imagery.

24 minutes ago, Bonnaroo42 said:

As someone who currently attends, I was pretty shocked with the result. The vibe I was getting around campus was that this would be shot down resoundingly. Anyways, now that this is most likely happening, I guess I'll hold off final judgments until I see a legitimately well-designed version.

I-L-L! Class of '05 here.

Anyways, I was surprised that the whole "This Will Not Replace The Illini Name" wasn't more forward in communications until recently. I don't hate the idea of having a mascot in the mix. I'll be curious to see how/if any of our teams use it, should it be officially adopted.

46 minutes ago, Bonnaroo42 said:

I'd say that the current saving grace is that we can keep using feathers in designs, if I were coming up with the new logo set, that'd be something I play heavily on since a lot of the local fan shops as well as students have shirts with feathers paying homage to the headdress logo.

20 minutes ago, DDR said:

I-L-L! Class of '05 here.

Anyways, I was surprised that the whole "This Will Not Replace The Illini Name" wasn't more forward in communications until recently. I don't hate the idea of having a mascot in the mix. I'll be curious to see how/if any of our teams use it, should it be officially adopted.

As I was saying, I think the closest analogue will be how the Utah Utes use the red-tailed hawk mascot within its overall athletics identity. Based on that, I imagine Illinois's current branding won't change much, but they will get to have a mascot at sporting events again. Maybe you'll see a kingfisher mascot logo used every once in a while in connection with mascot appearances or one off uniforms.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

3 hours ago, DDR said:

I-L-L!

I-N-I baby! Huge weekend coming up!

Anyways I’ve been pretty happy with the current uniform set. I hope they continue wearing the white cursive script throwbacks. If anything with the kingfisher I wouldn’t mind an alternate like FSU or Oregon with a feather theme down the side or as minor trimmings, would sell like hot cakes. 

Archived