American Collegiate Athletics Federation (Looking for C&C 9/9/21)

the_grateful_ted

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Seadragon76 said:

The mascot's name has to be Tater... and for the kids, they have a smaller version named Tot.

😛

Who am I to deny to deny an amazing suggestion like that?? Tater the Spud it is!

6 hours ago, TheHealthiestScratch said:

Wow you have been rolling out some quality work. 

Blue Ridge - Feels funny that this team has no blue haha! I like the inspiration and the unique take on the heavily used outlaw type identity. The colors are solid along with the pair of logos. The Georgia flag on the shirt is a brilliant touch to tie the school to their state when the schools name doesn't directly address the state. I like the dagger logo's design, but the two colors seem to bleed in this logo unlike the other. Maybe it is because there isn't any white? I would try giving an option with a white outline just to break it up a little bit. 

University of Lake Erie - Calling a team the "Phantoms" is probably one of the most challenging to build an identity around, but the way you took this was genius. This is probably my favorite you have put together when it comes to the story around what has been produced. Is it a stretch? Maybe for an outsider. But I feel like the student body and locals would appreciate the time that was taken to identify with Lake Erie and not just Ohio itself. As for the actual product, I think the primary does give off a feeling of mystery, and I really enjoy the old school diver gear. The colors work, but I think a darkened blue might help lean more into the eerie vibe you're playing up. Giving a real "coming out of the depths" feeling. The other logo is also solid, but I think the bubbles lack the intimidation and looks out of place. I would replace that with the boat breaking through the water instead.

Yucca U - Logo set seems very traditional and the colors pop. I think this isn't the school for me, but I can't say it doesn't fit what you were aiming to do. I must ask what is up with the "C" on the roadrunner though. Is that the chest?

Panhandle State - To start, the name of this school is just like one of their colors, GOLD. The primary "P" mark does the job, and the Idaho inside makes the simple block very identifiable for the school. I think the spud is hilarious and very well executed. It is fun and the charm it has screams "college classic"! Only thing that bugs me is the sailor hat on a vegetable from a landlocked state. Also, did you name him?

First of all, THANK YOU for this level of C&C, it means a lot and helps incredibly to receive it in this much detail!

Blue Ridge- I used to have a vendetta against Bowling Green for a similar offense... navy and red is just so overplayed I thought I'd give a green a try! It's funny you mention that, this was a sticky point for me. Because of the serifs and general pointlessness of the font, it looked a little strange when I DID try an outline for the secondary. I decided that all use of this font, including numbers on the uniforms, would not have an outline. When I re-look at this, because the "bleeding" issue is something I noticed, I will most likely make the letters white and the details a different color.

Lake Erie- Thank you for the kind words, this was a personal favorite of mine as well! I don't think I'll darken the blue too much more, as there will be another team from Ohio just south of them that will use Navy. Alas, those are supposed to be barnacles, not bubbles. I see how that can be confusing now that you bring it up 🙂 When you say breaking through the water, do you mean at the angle it is at now? Or do you mean like EMERGING through the water as of it was previously submerged? (that sounds badass)

Yucca U- Yes, it is supposed to be just a geometric chest piece thing. I can see how it would read as a "C", that could be confusing. Might have to look back at that...

Panhandle State- I'm so glad this one was a hit, felt silly making it but was very fun! If you look up "vintage mascot logo", you'll see how ABUNDANT the sailor caps are across the country. I'm not sure exactly why this was the cap of choice for college mascots back in the day, but they somehow transcended every geographical boundary imaginable. The people of Idaho may not be up to date on the latest fads, but they sure are on the vintage ones 😁

Oh, maybe I should look closer for the Phantoms. When I said breaking through the water I meant as if it was skipping through the lake, giving it some motion rather than looking stagnant. It emerging from the depths would be terrifying though, not sure how you’d do it.

15 hours ago, sleuthpanther said:

If you look up "vintage mascot logo", you'll see how ABUNDANT the sailor caps are across the country. I'm not sure exactly why this was the cap of choice for college mascots back in the day, but they somehow transcended every geographical boundary imaginable.

Technically speaking, the headgear sported my many mascots in vintage college athletic logos wasn't meant to be regarded as a U.S. Navy white service hat (aka, "cover" or "Dixie cup").

tdaSQMPm.jpg?1

Rather, it was a depiction of a style of beanie popular amongst college fraternity members during the 1920s and '30s.

9HEoGMrm.jpg?1

While similar in structure, there are differences in the caps. The U.S. Navy's white service hats were - indeed, still are - made of cotton canvas, while the fraternity beanies were made of felt. While Navy service hats are meant to be functional items and sized so as to fit a bit lower on the head, fraternity beanies were worn largely for decorative purposes and often purposely sized a bit small so as to perch higher on the head. Finally, U.S. Navy white service hats are... well, they're white. Fraternity beanies were multi-hued, bearing colors associated with either the house the brothers belonged to, or the school that they attended.       

3 hours ago, Brian in Boston said:

Technically speaking, the headgear sported my many mascots in vintage college athletic logos wasn't meant to be regarded as a U.S. Navy white service hat (aka, "cover" or "Dixie cup").

tdaSQMPm.jpg?1

Rather, it was a depiction of a style of beanie popular amongst college fraternity members during the 1920s and '30s.

9HEoGMrm.jpg?1

While similar in structure, there are differences in the caps. The U.S. Navy's white service hats were - indeed, still are - made of cotton canvas, while the fraternity beanies were made of felt. While Navy service hats are meant to be functional items and sized so as to fit a bit lower on the head, fraternity beanies were worn largely for decorative purposes and often purposely sized a bit small so as to perch higher on the head. Finally, U.S. Navy white service hats are... well, they're white. Fraternity beanies were multi-hued, bearing colors associated with either the house the brothers belonged to, or the school that they attended.       

I was hoping someone would be able to help me out with the details, was a lot more wrong than I anticipated! Thank you for this, hopefully it helps out anyone else who also had some questions about it🙂

4 hours ago, TheHealthiestScratch said:

Oh, maybe I should look closer for the Phantoms. When I said breaking through the water I meant as if it was skipping through the lake, giving it some motion rather than looking stagnant. It emerging from the depths would be terrifying though, not sure how you’d do it.

Agreed, that might be for another day. I will however look at adding a little but more motion in the rest of the updates I'm working on today 🙂

Staying in the Pacific Northwest for now, let's take a trip to Central Oregon...

University of Central Oregon Dragons

Affiliation: Pacific Frontier

Colors: Magma Red, Charcoal Gray, Silver

"Worm Mountain" - The Flaming Lips (There are other Lips songs I really wanted to share, but this is so underrated and fit so well so 🤷‍♂️)

jbof09l.png

One of the more challenging places to come up with an identity, for one of the stranger reasons. Look up Bend, and you will find EVERYTHING. It's in the center of literally five different geographic zones, and apparently people do everything there, from hiking and fishing to adventure sports and all other kinds of stuff (it seems like the coolest place to live ever). I settled on basing it around the fact that Bend is one of only three cities in the continental US with an extinct volcano within it's city boundaries. Dragons are high-flying beings that shoot fire (fulfilling the general exciting action sports-y side of the city and the volcano side). The colors are meant to evoke the those of a live volcano (shoutout to @TheHealthiestScratch for his help w/ the color scheme). The primary is a dragon wrapping around the letter "O", I originally hoped that I would get it wrapped more around to form the shape of a "C", but was happy where it was so I kept it. The secondary is what I gauged a dragon footprint would look like, wanted something super simple to contrast with the pretty complicated primary. I could say more about the smooth top of the "O" mirroring the slopes of Pilot Butte (the extinct volcano), but who wants to here that Nike speak right?

Hope you guys enjoy this one, and stay tuned for some smaller updates throughout the rest of the day! Thanks as usual guys, stay safe and healthy!

On 4/27/2020 at 5:11 PM, _DietDrPepper_ said:

What about a dragon holding onto the C in a interlocking CO? I like the identity regardless, the colors work really well and the dragon looks good as well, but maybes that's a way to get that C in there? 

I will continue to fiddle with that, at the moment it is extremely difficult to piece that together. It would also not surprise me if more than a dozen more unnamed teams have interlocked letters as a logo, so even if I can make it work I might choose to keep it as it for the sake of variety. The c&c is much appreciated, and I'm glad you enjoy it!

On 4/27/2020 at 5:19 PM, TrueYankee26 said:

It gives off a Raptors vibe somewhat.

It's funny you mention that *tangent story*... I originally had planned to name High Plains University the "Theropods", the kind of bipedal, carnivorous dinosaur that a raptor is. I was actually in the process of making a raptor logo for them.. but decided last minute that I didn't want two teams in the same conference that looked so similar in design. To be a GOOD raptors concept it would have to use purple though 😛

On 4/27/2020 at 6:32 PM, TheLogoFather72 said:

That dragon should be named puff.

Puff it is! 🙂 

Well, we've reached a landmark! With UCO done, I am a little over 25% done with the logo part of this project! With this milestone quickly approaching the rear view, I decided it was finally time to revisit a particularly finicky team I was never really happy with. Returning to Southern California...

pdusRMV.png

What's changed? Well, a lot!

-Renamed from Pacific International to "California International"

-Primary is finally cleaned up, the mask and neck are reconfigured and some of the linework is touched -up

-The horrific diamond monstrosity is no longer the secondary, I took some cues from the New (but now old news) Wake Forest Brand and their strutting deacon logo. The logo is a full harlequin, slightly influenced by the dancing and posing of Joaquin Phoenix in his latest movie.

I wanted to add an aqua outline, but that would've looked awful with the yellow version. 

C&C on the project as a whole is always appreciated, and one or two updates will probably pop-up over the next day or two before a new school does. Thank you so much everyone for sticking with me and giving very helpful commentary for the first quarter of the project, here's to three more quarters!

I'm sorry, I still cannot understand what the primary is supposed to be. The details on the face that help give a sense of proportion, like a nose or a mouth, just aren't registering for me and I think this one might need another rework. The secondary is nice, however.

the user formerly known as cdclt

35 minutes ago, QCS said:

I'm sorry, I still cannot understand what the primary is supposed to be. The details on the face that help give a sense of proportion, like a nose or a mouth, just aren't registering for me and I think this one might need another rework. The secondary is nice, however.

Yeah, it sort looks like your looking at a bird straight on. Defining the chin an nose more and shortening the neck may help

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

On 4/28/2020 at 6:42 PM, QCS said:

On 4/28/2020 at 7:18 PM, _DietDrPepper_ said:

Yeah, it sort looks like your looking at a bird straight on. Defining the chin an nose more and shortening the neck may help

On 4/28/2020 at 7:18 PM, Blindsay said:

Replace the heart with a circle nose, and I think you got it!

This is a question to the general audience, would it be a better looking package if the primary was replaced with some classy looking letters? It would be a similar take to Wake Forest I guess. I plan on revisiting the school no matter what in the near future, but the tweaks are just turning into more and more of a grind. Now that I have the secondary, I'm less attached to the primary. Let me know what you guys think!

On 4/30/2020 at 12:04 PM, TheLogoFather72 said:

When are you revealing the next university

Here we go! Chugging in from Nebraska...

Platte State University Engineers

Affiliation: Super Central

Colors: Union Gold, Pacific Blue, Brass

"Accelerate" - R.E.M.

vo7PSXe.png

Many of these cities that pop up in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the country, are because they used to be stops on the Transcontinental Railroad. Nebraska has a lot of these towns that started in this way, and the state realistically does not have much of an identity besides this and corn(huskers) so 🤷‍♂️ The name comes from the river that runs aaaall the way through Nebraska, and the nickname comes from those that made the steam locomotives of old times run, the primary is one of these trains. The secondary is a "P" wrench, the P for Platte and the wrench for engineers. The "S" for State just didn't fit in right, so I nixed it for the sake of aesthetics. The colors come from Union Pacific Railroad train-cars, the red on these trains might show up in the uniforms. As usual, C&C on all my previous work is appreciated. Thanks as usual, stay safe! 

On the topic of the Harlequins, I'd love to see a UCLA like script logo, since it seems to fit with the International moniker. 

Also, I'd be interested if beveling on the P would look better and tie it in to the primary logo more. Also, I could see an S in the monogram logo, not interlocking but place underneath the part of the P that sticks out. Similar to UCF if you get what I mean. Or you could drop the State and just run with Platte University? 

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

Cal International seems to want to fight against your modern approach for the logo. I think it deserves some old school NOLA influence matched with Cali coastal vibes. How would I do it? idk, but you have some talent I bet you can take that challenge. 

Platte State reminds me of a Purdue and Pitt hybrid a little bit. I wish that unique brass color was played up a bit more because I think it belongs as an equal to the other two. Number of schools who use blue and gold = 100+, number of schools who use brass, blue and gold = I'm not very sure. I think Dr. Pepper's idea of beveling would help include brass in the whole identity, tying it together. Also like the idea of Platte University. If you used PU you could make the bottom of the wrench cut off where the line and round shape connect and reshape it for a "U" turned on its side. 

Suggestions taken... so let's have a (kinda) double feature!

pdusRMV.png

Well, here we are. Almost completely different from their first iteration, and in a much better place imo. Gone is the vengeful-shadow-bird-demon, replaced with a classy (I hope) script "CIU". The sword is used as a tail/flourish, and the diamond (which will play a huge part in their identity, I knew that from the start), makes an appearance dotting the "i". I'm finally feeling in a good place with this, but please let me know what you guys think!

The Platte State updates are going to be in the original post, added some beveling (I'm not expert and not usually a fan of beveling, but I think it doesn't look half-bad)

And let's wrap up today from Central Illinois...

Lincoln University Tornadoes

Affiliation: Midwest Union

Colors: Navy, Gray, White

"Leaders of the Free World" - Elbow

bsgMTcV.png

This one should be a pretty easy explanation, here we go. The name comes from Abraham Lincoln, you cannot walk 30 ft in Springfield without seeing some kind of statue or memorial. The nickname comes from the natural disaster which frequently tears through Central and South Illinois. I was DREADING making a tornado vector, my worst fear was that it would just look like a bunch of jumbled lines. With that in mind, I went with simplicity and made a "L"- tornado hybrid. The secondary takes the state capitol building of Illinois located in Springfield, and adds some Tornado wind around it (I am looking for help on a secondary, I was completely drawing a blank and suggestions would be appreciated).

Well, that's all I got for today! As usual C&C on any of my work is appreciated, specifically looking for better ideas for a secondary for LU. Stay safe everyone, thanks in advance!

Big fan of both updates and the new team! My only gripe is that I think CIU script could do without the leftovers from the C, the little loop after the C. 

The beveling and updated monogram works really well for Platte State, brings in the brass color really well like Healthiest said. 

3YCQJRO.png

Archived