American Collegiate Athletics Federation (Looking for C&C 9/9/21)

the_grateful_ted

Crockett - I can't complain about either of these logos because they look very good. I personally hope they use the secondary more often just out of preference, either work though. Name is clever, colors are nice and I don't think you'll have to touch it.

Makatawa - This orange and black hits hard and looks fierce. I like the school name and the team name a lot, but the logos seem a step from perfect. Like @_DietDrPepper_ said, a few tweaks to the face and mane might help the lion, and the crown is a little unbalanced, but I am not sure why that is. The secondary is a good start, but I think you might as well use the whole crown instead of just the gem from the top. 

I really enjoy this pair of teams, always creative and unique! Nice to see you back.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/20/2020 at 11:47 AM, TheHealthiestScratch said:

Crockett - I can't complain about either of these logos because they look very good. I personally hope they use the secondary more often just out of preference, either work though. Name is clever, colors are nice and I don't think you'll have to touch it.

Makatawa - This orange and black hits hard and looks fierce. I like the school name and the team name a lot, but the logos seem a step from perfect. Like @_DietDrPepper_ said, a few tweaks to the face and mane might help the lion, and the crown is a little unbalanced, but I am not sure why that is. The secondary is a good start, but I think you might as well use the whole crown instead of just the gem from the top. 

I really enjoy this pair of teams, always creative and unique! Nice to see you back.

Much appreciated😁 I dig both, they'll both pop up a lot.

As I'll mention below as well, tweaks to Makatawa are going less than stellar, but they're being done so hopefully I have something soon.

On 6/17/2020 at 7:35 PM, _DietDrPepper_ said:

Wow I love Crockett! One of my favorite logo sets you've made so far. I like the updates as well. Although I think the Medgar Evans monogram is very hard to read as an ME, I think a less intricate design, something similar to Costal Texas, whose color scheme and name is fantastic might I add, would look a lot better I think. Makatawa is cool, it's a bit hard to read as a lion and I think a couple tweaks to the face could help but otherwise it's definitely a unique identity I can get behind

Thank you! Something about the colors and it all came together really well. You should've seen the first draft... woof.

I changed the Medgar Evans monogram to a stacked look, not sure when I'll get around to posting but I'm sure you can imagine what it looks like.😋 Encountering some difficulty tweaking MU correctly, but I agree and I'm continuing working on it!

Here are a few more while we're at it!

University of Northern California Condors

Affiliation: Pacific Frontier

Colors: Hunter Green, Black, Yellow

"Dead End Friends" - Them Crooked Vultures

vAxMqGI.png

Although the condors are not ~typically~ found as North as Redding, I love using one as a mascot and it's not too far off from a historical reason for use. It makes sense, ok? The primary is said mascot. The secondary has a little backstory... At one point in history, Redding was the proposed capital of a newly formed state called "Jefferson", which intended to separate from the rest of Cali. It obviously failed, but speaks to the animosity between this region and the rest of the state (specifically SF). Lets say this regional animosity stretches over to the ACAF as well. So as a big "FU" to the bay area (GGU), they use a secondary that closely resembles the proposed state seal of Jefferson (with switched letters). I thought it was a cool idea, but if its too out there lmk what I could replace it with. 

Saguaro State University Monsoons 

Affiliation: Territorial Twelve 

Colors: Cactus Green, Sand Gold, Black

"Fire In The Hole" - Steely Dan

UH5cHR6.png

Monsoons are huge storms that happen in AZ during, monsoon season in the summer. The primary combines the namesake cactus, the lightning of the storm, and the star from the AZ flag. The secondary I was stumped on... obviously the initials "SS" with lightning bolt imagery is a no-go. I knew that their actual mascot was going to be a quail, so I did a super simple quail for now. 

AND I FINALLY CRACKED. Here are the first uniforms of the ACAF... enjoy! We're going to wind aaaaall the way back in the same order that the schools were introduced. Starting with the javelinas of Grand Canyon College (I haven't figured out exactly how I want to present these, but this is what'll look like for now). Each team will be shown three combinations to showcase their combo possibilities, although for future plans they can have more (and crazy alts and one-offs are planned but will not be shown for now).

K3XRDPG.png

EgIfeVW.png

5bUwUH1.png

I won't do too much explaining on these. TEQUILA SUNRISE baby, wanted to let the colors shine and simplify everything else.

Usually like to wait, but you have two Arizona teams and a Northern California team in one post.

UNC - Not a name I'd think you'd land on for a team given the extensive creativity for each school, but that condor is fierce. I personally am not the biggest fan of dark green and black together. That being said, it doesn't mean the two don't belong together sometimes. I love the logo, and I am not saying it needs to be touched, but I think it could use some additional Redding flair to it so it is more recognizable. Maybe have the bird over a river, in the mountains, on a trail (known as the Trails Capital of California), or in front of the sun (is the 2nd sunniest city in the US, heat is associated with condors and you already have gold in the color palette. This might be the best route). I can accept a story of a rare Condor spotted in the city for the background of the name, but what makes it Redding's Condor? If you know what I mean.

The secondary has a lot of potential, and I think you should run with it. Looking at the seal as a reference, I see that there is text surrounding the mark. Maybe scrap the NC in the middle and replace it with some Redding imagery. For example, the Sundial Bridge is one of the largest functioning Sundials in the world. It also can easily be altered to look like the "X" used in the original Jefferson Seal. I'd then use "University of Northern California" in place of "The Great Seal of State of Jefferson". Love the connection a lot, good start on a great idea.

SSU - This color combo is 10/10, great for anywhere and perfect for Tucson. I am playing love/hate with the primary. It reminds me of that old school U of A logo, but feels a tad busy at the moment. 

If you aren't attached to the quail, I think you should scrap it for a monsoon moving across a simplified skyline of Tucson. That be very unique to the city. Or even use the skyline/school initials and have a gradient of the sand color over it.

GCC - For as wild as this school is with their identity, I am surprised the interlocking letters beat out the javelina on the primary helmet. Other than that, the Tequila Sunrise feels spot on for the school. If they have an alt helmet, I suggest a full gradient helmet with the interlocking GC as the logo and a purple jersey. This would be the school I'd go to in place of ASU, and I would be very ok with that. 

Big fan of UNC, the condors name is great. The colors are okay, green, yellow and black can work pretty good together, I think brighting the green or just playing around with the shades could help a bit, but they aren't terrible as they are. 

Now the Monsoons, the second black, green and gold team for the day. I really like the quails, and in all honesty I prefer the nicknames quails over Monsoons. But aside from that, the identity is a bit all over the place. The primary is busy and the green and gold clash at the top of the star, I think your fitting too much in. If I could redesign this I'd drop the Monsoon name in favor of Quails and adjust the primary logo to a quail perched on a cactus, I think that could work pretty well, maybe throw it in an enclosed shape so that bottom of the cactus isn't as awkward as it is now. But as for the Monsoons name, I think dropping the star and replacing it with the lighting bolt might work better, it would be cleaner and simpler too. 

The unis for GC look great and I wouldn't touch em. The GC letters are one of the best logos you've made imo, perfectly encapsulates the college aesthetic. 

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

On 6/24/2020 at 1:32 PM, jbird669 said:

I LOVE this series! One comment on Northern California - while I like that you're trying something different, the C in the NC logo looks off. I needed to look at it twice to realize what it was. 

That's awesome to hear 😁 I changed it up a bit, lmk what you think!

On 6/24/2020 at 3:00 PM, TheHealthiestScratch said:

Usually like to wait, but you have two Arizona teams and a Northern California team in one post.

UNC - Not a name I'd think you'd land on for a team given the extensive creativity for each school, but that condor is fierce. I personally am not the biggest fan of dark green and black together. That being said, it doesn't mean the two don't belong together sometimes. I love the logo, and I am not saying it needs to be touched, but I think it could use some additional Redding flair to it so it is more recognizable. Maybe have the bird over a river, in the mountains, on a trail (known as the Trails Capital of California), or in front of the sun (is the 2nd sunniest city in the US, heat is associated with condors and you already have gold in the color palette. This might be the best route). I can accept a story of a rare Condor spotted in the city for the background of the name, but what makes it Redding's Condor? If you know what I mean.

The secondary has a lot of potential, and I think you should run with it. Looking at the seal as a reference, I see that there is text surrounding the mark. Maybe scrap the NC in the middle and replace it with some Redding imagery. For example, the Sundial Bridge is one of the largest functioning Sundials in the world. It also can easily be altered to look like the "X" used in the original Jefferson Seal. I'd then use "University of Northern California" in place of "The Great Seal of State of Jefferson". Love the connection a lot, good start on a great idea.

SSU - This color combo is 10/10, great for anywhere and perfect for Tucson. I am playing love/hate with the primary. It reminds me of that old school U of A logo, but feels a tad busy at the moment. 

If you aren't attached to the quail, I think you should scrap it for a monsoon moving across a simplified skyline of Tucson. That be very unique to the city. Or even use the skyline/school initials and have a gradient of the sand color over it.

GCC - For as wild as this school is with their identity, I am surprised the interlocking letters beat out the javelina on the primary helmet. Other than that, the Tequila Sunrise feels spot on for the school. If they have an alt helmet, I suggest a full gradient helmet with the interlocking GC as the logo and a purple jersey. This would be the school I'd go to in place of ASU, and I would be very ok with that. 

Made a ton of edits to UNC!

SSU will be a work in progress, it ended up looking more disjointed than I hoped. It'll be a while, but expect a brand new-ish Monsoons soon! (with same color scheme).

I will be going WILD with the gradients on the alts do not worry 😋

On 6/24/2020 at 6:46 PM, _DietDrPepper_ said:

Big fan of UNC, the condors name is great. The colors are okay, green, yellow and black can work pretty good together, I think brighting the green or just playing around with the shades could help a bit, but they aren't terrible as they are. 

Now the Monsoons, the second black, green and gold team for the day. I really like the quails, and in all honesty I prefer the nicknames quails over Monsoons. But aside from that, the identity is a bit all over the place. The primary is busy and the green and gold clash at the top of the star, I think your fitting too much in. If I could redesign this I'd drop the Monsoon name in favor of Quails and adjust the primary logo to a quail perched on a cactus, I think that could work pretty well, maybe throw it in an enclosed shape so that bottom of the cactus isn't as awkward as it is now. But as for the Monsoons name, I think dropping the star and replacing it with the lighting bolt might work better, it would be cleaner and simpler too. 

The unis for GC look great and I wouldn't touch em. The GC letters are one of the best logos you've made imo, perfectly encapsulates the college aesthetic. 

Brightened the green a tad, but didn't like the almost apple green look I got after too much brightening. 

As mentioned above, SSU will have a completely new look. You are spot on, I was trying to jam way too much into one logo. Expect a much more cohesive brand down the road (still unsure about name as well, a lot to think about!)🙂

On 6/24/2020 at 6:52 PM, Sebastianm said:

These look fantastic!

Much appreciated!

First of all, thank you everyone for the C&C! These were two that I liked, but knew wouldn't be their final form. For now, all I got is a UNC edit.

vAxMqGI.png

Going with the "sun" theme definitely gave me a direction to go in on this one (and as a school that would make sense to be the focal point of the brand, what else is there to hype up about Redding ya know?). The Sun Condor makes up the primary (solo condor is relegated to tertiary). The secondary aaaalmost looks like Austin Peay (I noticed that after the fact I assure you). The "N" in NC is made up of the famous Sundial Bridge in Redding, and also gives off a "flight" vibe appropriate for the Condors. The Green is lightened a tad, but I like how the yellow pops so I didn't go too crazy. I'm on a kinda uniform kick right now, so here are two more sets!

First we have Mideastern Michigan:

u8HH8Hm.png

7u295oF.png

RK091Kh.png

The Smiths have an old-school look, topped off with mismatching home and away jerseys. They're a pretty no-frills team, with the exception of the Washington style stripeless pants to be worn on occasion.

Next, the Okies!

EEHR9Ao.png

vvPLm7O.png

j31VY1i.png

Another traditional team, the okies stick to their basic set in most cases. Obviously some big inspiration from Michigan's road set. I'm pretty happy with how these turned out, hope you guys enjoy and C&C is always welcome!

Was going to come say the Condors look like Redding's team now, but it seems the pics are gone! They are no ones team! Do love OKLA A&M's look. I am a casual watcher of NCAA, and they seem like a team I'd favor watching if scrolling through a list of games on a Saturday.

@Section30, good catch! Fixed.

@TheHealthiestScratchShould be updated, lemme know what your Cali perspective is :) 

Let's mix it up today, got a few pieces!

University of Eastern Ohio Barons

Affiliation: Power East

Colors: Prussian Blue, Officer Gold, White

"Berlin Got Blurry" - Parquet Courts

yobOixX.png

Everything about this identity is based off the city's namesake, Baron Von Steuben. He was prussian officer from the american revolution, and that influenced a lot of the design. There is another team from the Power East that has a colonial identity locked in, so I had to stay away from tri-corner hats and that. I took a ton from a very popular painting of Von Steuben, including the colors and the secondary "medal" shape (that is Ohio in the middle of the medal). The primary is an eagle, a bridge between American pride and of the Prussian imagery (I wanted to stay away from more blocky eagle designs, out of fear it would look more, er, later german influenced). It's pretty simple, but I think works well!

We got some more uniform designs, first VMU!

V8F9aAx.png

DedGGIx.png

KZbyGtV.png

I don't usually like big helmet logos, but I think this one fits well. The rest of the design takes cues from the logo as well.

THIS ONE I expect some feedback on, CIU!

ThgaLyT.png

XYkIrdm.png

eSQnXhU.png

The Harlequins take their queues from real Harlequins of the past, especially the diamond design. The jersey is the best example, with diamonds running up the shoulder and the number on the other side. Not many teams will rock monochrome, but in this world CIU is famous for their eye-popping all yellow combo (obviously contrasting socks).

I think I'll wait putting out more jersey designs until I get conference logos done, as I'm realizing I'll have to repost all of these w/ conference logos at some point. C&C welcome as usual!

I really like the Barons, no complaints there, feels collegiate and look great. 

The tidesmen uniform I like! Their logo package isn't my favorite but it makes for a good looking set of uniforms, the colors are nice too. 

CUI is almost there, I'd just replace the diamond pattern on the shoulder to a collar stripe maybe? Similar to TCU, I think that could look really nice, or you could move the numbers to the top of the shoulders and make a diamond stripe on the caps. Either way I think both sides of the uniform needs tv numbers

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

I really love the Condors' primary; it's perfect! Not so sure about the "NC" logo. It might work better with the bridge as the right side of the N (rather than the left), maybe with the C incorporated into the curve?

The Crockett Scouts also look awesome. No complaints at all.

The Barons' primary is a bit bland; it could use something more.  I much prefer that secondary. After a brief glance maybe you could try to incorporate the shape of Fort Steuber somewhere?

Big fan of Oklahoma A&M's & Mideastern's uniforms here.

Keep up the excellent work!

• 1 month later...

*bump*

Long story short, moved across the country again and got a job. Finally settling back into a routine, so thought I'd dip back into the cookie jar. Let's cut to the chase huh?

Channel Islands Institute of Technology Islanders

Colors: Depths Navy, Sea Foam, White

"Wave(s)" - Lewis Del Mar

7qzsX9n.png

This has gone through a couple incarnations in some of my past unshared series, but this is the one I am happiest with. Colors are ocean-y as heck. Primary is a spearhead-shell combo, marrying the cool historical artifacts found on the islands with the connection to the sea (in this world maybe those are two special science programs in the school). The secondary is an Island Fox, found only on the Channel Islands. It has 8 spots on it's nose, obviously intentionally to symbolize the 8 islands of the school's namesake. It's very endangered, and in this ideal world the school would use it as a mascot for the preservation of all endangered critters.

Hope you guys enjoy this one! It's nice to fool around with design again. Designs will get a little crazier, I'm just trying to have as much fun with this as possible. Expect some more sporatic posting from now on, cheers guys!

15 minutes ago, sleuthpanther said:

*bump*

Long story short, moved across the country again and got a job. Finally settling back into a routine, so thought I'd dip back into the cookie jar. Let's cut to the chase huh?

Channel Islands Institute of Technology Islanders

Colors: Depths Navy, Sea Foam, White

"Wave(s)" - Lewis Del Mar

7qzsX9n.png

This has gone through a couple incarnations in some of my past unshared series, but this is the one I am happiest with. Colors are ocean-y as heck. Primary is a spearhead-shell combo, marrying the cool historical artifacts found on the islands with the connection to the sea (in this world maybe those are two special science programs in the school). The secondary is an Island Fox, found only on the Channel Islands. It has 8 spots on it's nose, obviously intentionally to symbolize the 8 islands of the school's namesake. It's very endangered, and in this ideal world the school would use it as a mascot for the preservation of all endangered critters.

Hope you guys enjoy this one! It's nice to fool around with design again. Designs will get a little crazier, I'm just trying to have as much fun with this as possible. Expect some more sporatic posting from now on, cheers guys!

I love this! 

N3d5IIl.png

@jbird669 Thank you!

Keepin it rolling...

Polaris University Pathfinders

Affiliation: Pacific Frontier

Colors: Galactic Purple, Lavender, White

"This Way" - Dilated Peoples

KWSPD1o.png

The name "Polaris" is what is commonly referred to as the North Star, the star that explorers use to chart their way through unknown wilderness. The primary is this star, and also kinda looks like a compass maybe?? The secondary is one of these explorers, aka "mountain men", aka PATHFINDERS, Kit Carson (the founder of Carson City). His stylized self is looking off into the distance, doing some exploration stuff. The color scheme is just because I love me some double purple. Hope you guys enjoy!

• 4 months later...
On 1/8/2021 at 11:57 AM, the_grambymaster said:

Hey I just stumbled apon this and I love all of these logos, I know its the new year but I really hope you finish it boss, Im pretty sure my favorite logo is Eastern Ohio

On 1/9/2021 at 1:44 PM, GreenCat said:

I hope this project isn't dead because I've enjoyed seeing your creations!

Also, those VMU uniforms are slick. I agree that large helmet logos are usually not great but I think it works for those helmets. 

Well... I guess I should finish this 😆 Seeing this bumped might've made just a *little*nostalgic. Got the design bug, so it looks I'm back to occasionally throwing some stuff in here. We'll re-re-RE-launch this with a trip down south...

Rio Grande State University Mayans

Affiliation: Super Central

Colors: Jungle Green, Jade, Sol Yellow 

"Standing On The Shore"- Empire Of The Sun

SEBsm2t.png

Wanted to treat this one with a lot of respect... there's obviously a lot going on with any name or imagery of Indigenous people. I was careful not to use any symbols that hold incredibly religious or cultural importance, as well as avoiding any disrespectful caricatures. In this concept, I kept things simple. A Pyramid, and a bird called the Quetzal (found in regions that the Mayans were based in). I compare this to SDSU Aztecs, realistically Aztecs never were that far north but the area is still heavily influenced by the culture of people's from further south. If I am off-base, or this in any way crosses any lines, please let me know! Either way.. happy to be back!

Archived