American Collegiate Athletics Federation (Looking for C&C 9/9/21)

the_grateful_ted

19 hours ago, Blindsay said:

For the first few secs, I couldn’t see the clown in the harlequins. Looks more like a penguin.

I can see where you're coming from, not satisfied with it myself. Anything you see specifically that could make it more distinguishable?

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure about Penguin, then again not sure about anything going on there. I appreciate that you went with the traditional look (opposed to the more modern jester like take on the character). I think the hat looks placed on top of the face shape and doesn’t look like he is wearing it. Might also be too aggressive with the shadows. I think with more characteristics or maybe a mask it be more identifiable. 

Think the Tidesman look sharp! Don’t see why they’re using a pitchfork though! Haha (joke geared towards my own school using what they call a pitchfork as their logo. Just go back to Sparky you guys)

Mideastern MI has cool colors, and the crossed hammers are nice, but the logo really doesn't read as an anvil. Maybe you could make it silver with green outlines separating the layers (with gaps for the monogram), or switch to a side view.

I like the A&M in the radio tower for the Okies!

Agree with what's been said about the Harlequins; a third hat spike might help.

Virginia Maritime looks awesome! Love the colors and the logos are great. The only concern is that the crest of the wave looks a tad flat.

Also,

On 3/23/2020 at 10:44 AM, sleuthpanther said:

Ocean Breathes Salty" OR "Dashboard" - Modest Mouse

nice hype song choices here... 💙🎸💙

5 hours ago, sleuthpanther said:

I can see where you're coming from, not satisfied with it myself. Anything you see specifically that could make it more distinguishable?

Move the blue dot, make the pentagon nose circle .

spacer.pngspacer.png

Im an isles,rangers,devils,Sabres,Yankees,Mets,Braves,hawks,knicks,nets,bills,giants,falcons,and jets fan. So?

On 3/24/2020 at 1:54 PM, TheHealthiestScratch said:

Not sure about Penguin, then again not sure about anything going on there. I appreciate that you went with the traditional look (opposed to the more modern jester like take on the character). I think the hat looks placed on top of the face shape and doesn’t look like he is wearing it. Might also be too aggressive with the shadows. I think with more characteristics or maybe a mask it be more identifiable. 

Think the Tidesman look sharp! Don’t see why they’re using a pitchfork though! Haha (joke geared towards my own school using what they call a pitchfork as their logo. Just go back to Sparky you guys)

Overall, I think "Dumpy" is a good adjective for him. That's what it is (the hat sitting on the head), thank you for pointing that out! Oh if you don't think I'm a vehement BRING SPARKY BACK supporter as well, you are mistaken!

On 3/24/2020 at 3:12 PM, vtgco said:

Mideastern MI has cool colors, and the crossed hammers are nice, but the logo really doesn't read as an anvil. Maybe you could make it silver with green outlines separating the layers (with gaps for the monogram), or switch to a side view.

I like the A&M in the radio tower for the Okies!

Agree with what's been said about the Harlequins; a third hat spike might help.

Virginia Maritime looks awesome! Love the colors and the logos are great. The only concern is that the crest of the wave looks a tad flat.

Also,

nice hype song choices here... 💙🎸💙

I took the view as if you are looking down onto an anvil, in all honesty the side view of an anvil just isn't very good looking. It's a kinda derphy shape, and hard to fit letters into. I'll take a run at it though! I'll look at adding a little sumthin sumthin to the top of the wave, thank you so much for the c&c! (and hopefully you enjoy some more of these tunes I'm sharing, Modest Mouse is awesome!)

On 3/24/2020 at 6:11 PM, Blindsay said:

Move the blue dot, make the pentagon nose circle .

If no one likes my completely new harlequin, I'll give this a shot! On this topic...

fsODUVb.png

Looks a little different huh? Essentially the only things kept were the eye area and colors (and the bells of course), everything is else is changed! The bottom part is a "clown ruffle", look up harlequin and it's practically in every picture. There are a few details to clean up still, but I wanted to get some C&C on the major change before I cleaned it up too much. What does everyone think, too modern and mean looking? Do we miss the penguin? Just right? Let me know! As well as this, one more new school to finish off the day. Hailing from the beautiful (so I've heard) Georgia Coast...

Georgia Atlantic University Herons

Affiliation: Grand Old South

Colors: Purple, Orange, White, Lavender (I've already run out of steam on the cheesy color names, whoops!)

"Coquette Coquette" - of Montreal (they are actually from Athens, hence my choosing this kickass song for GAU)

HIODao9.png

From my research, the coast of Georgia seems much different than the interior. Beautiful beaches and wildlife habitats, tons of sun and hospitality (especially in Savannah). I picked a pretty recognizable critter from the coastal marshes of the region, the Great Heron, as the mascot. The colors don't mean all that much, just wanted bright and warm. When making the logo set, the primary was supposed to read as a "G" and the secondary as an "A". However, that did not work as well as I thought it would. The primary is an unusually aggressive-looking heron (when it comes to eventual uniforms don't worry, there will be lavender). The secondary triangle shape was supposed to be an "A" originally as I said above, but the silhouette made it look vaguely similar to a national park sign, so I kept it. Hope you guys enjoy this one, looking forward to some C&C for both GAU and the Harlequin 2.0!

17 hours ago, sleuthpanther said:

If no one likes my completely new harlequin, I'll give this a shot! On this topic...

Well, you’re getting warmer, keep the hat, and neck, and resculpt the face. GAU is EXQUISITE 

spacer.pngspacer.png

Im an isles,rangers,devils,Sabres,Yankees,Mets,Braves,hawks,knicks,nets,bills,giants,falcons,and jets fan. So?

On 3/25/2020 at 12:10 PM, Blindsay said:

Well, you’re getting warmer, keep the hat, and neck, and resculpt the face. GAU is EXQUISITE 

If I told you it's supposed to be a mask that would explain the lack of facial features? Is there anything I could do to make that more obvious? Thank you! One of my personal favorites so far 😁

Well, on we go! We'll travel away to Billings, the home of those who represent Montana...

High Plains University Sauropods 

Affiliation: Pacific Frontier

Colors: Blue, White

"Do The Evolution" - Pearl Jam 

24p9btl.png

The "Sarps" as they're affectionately known, have one of the simplest brands in the ACAF. Blue for the "Big Sky State", and white because simplicity is beautiful too. The primary is a non-descript Sauropod, the giant, herbivore, four-legged kind of dinosaurs. Most of the dinosaur bones found in the United States have been found in Montana, which is where the name came from. I thought about doing a raptor or some other kind of theropod, but there is another mascot in this conference that bears similarities to those kinds of dinos, so I decided to go with the Sarp. The secondary is a simple HP, keeping it classy for the boys in blue from Billings.

But we're not done yet, no way! Representing the state of Alabama...

Alabama Baptist University Bloodhounds

Colors: Maroon, Gold

"The Boys From Alabama" - Drive By Truckers

605vJSw.png

Well, we needed a couple private schools in this right? Alabama is just about the most religious state in the Union, trust me I looked it up on Wikipedia! A vintage looking brand with vintage colors, Alabama flag included. Obviously a hound dog had to be included somewhere in the South, and this seemed like the right fit. I'll tell you what, a hound-dog is NOT EASY to turn into a logo. Too many dang folds, not 100% pleased with what I have yet. C&C is welcome as always, hope you guys enjoy these latest installments!

On 3/24/2020 at 9:03 PM, sleuthpanther said:

Overall, I think "Dumpy" is a good adjective for him. That's what it is (the hat sitting on the head), thank you for pointing that out! Oh if you don't think I'm a vehement BRING SPARKY BACK supporter as well, you are mistaken!

I took the view as if you are looking down onto an anvil, in all honesty the side view of an anvil just isn't very good looking. It's a kinda derphy shape, and hard to fit letters into. I'll take a run at it though! I'll look at adding a little sumthin sumthin to the top of the wave, thank you so much for the c&c! (and hopefully you enjoy some more of these tunes I'm sharing, Modest Mouse is awesome!)

fsODUVb.png

Looks a little different huh? Essentially the only things kept were the eye area and colors (and the bells of course), everything is else is changed! The bottom part is a "clown ruffle", look up harlequin and it's practically in every picture. There are a few details to clean up still, but I wanted to get some C&C on the major change before I cleaned it up too much. What does everyone think, too modern and mean looking? Do we miss the penguin? Just right? Let me know! As well as this, one more new school to finish off the day. Hailing from the beautiful (so I've heard) Georgia Coast...

Georgia Atlantic University Herons

Colors: Purple, Orange, White, Lavender (I've already run out of steam on the cheesy color names, whoops!)

"Coquette Coquette" - of Montreal (they are actually from Athens, hence my choosing this kickass song for GAU)

9SLo4iv.png

From my research, the coast of Georgia seems much different than the interior. Beautiful beaches and wildlife habitats, tons of sun and hospitality (especially in Savannah). I picked a pretty recognizable critter from the coastal marshes of the region, the Great Heron, as the mascot. The colors don't mean all that much, just wanted bright and warm. When making the logo set, the primary was supposed to read as a "G" and the secondary as an "A". However, that did not work as well as I thought it would. The primary is an unusually aggressive-looking heron (when it comes to eventual uniforms don't worry, there will be lavender). The secondary triangle shape was supposed to be an "A" originally as I said above, but the silhouette made it look vaguely similar to a national park sign, so I kept it. Hope you guys enjoy this one, looking forward to some C&C for both GAU and the Harlequin 2.0!

As someone who's worked on his own heron logo, I can appreciate the difficulty in creating one. The head is really nice. I think the neck could use a little refinement to the angle and thickness. I think it tapers a bit too quickly.

gYH2mW9.png

On 3/26/2020 at 11:21 PM, _DietDrPepper_ said:

The way you made the eyes look like the dog is wearing a pair of those sunglasses, I'd try getting making it look more like a old loyal hunting dog rather than a happy mascot, if that makes sense

😂 Those glasses kill me, agreed! Reworked the face quite a bit, let me know what you think

6wYdjvb.png

On 3/27/2020 at 8:20 AM, GeauxColonels said:

As someone who's worked on his own heron logo, I can appreciate the difficulty in creating one. The head is really nice. I think the neck could use a little refinement to the angle and thickness. I think it tapers a bit too quickly.

Definitely a bit tricky... thanks for the tip! Here's what I came up with, let me know how I did

njBq3oo.png

And lastly, we obviously couldn't leave today without another new school! Representing Superior Mountains Minnesota...

Superior College Giants

Affiliation: Midwest Union

Colors: Burgundy, Babe(y) Blue (Ok this one was too easy), White

"Giant" - Banks and Steelz

jVGvutA.png

The most northern school in the ACAF takes it's identity from the legend of Paul Bunyan (the giant lumberjack), and Babe the Blue Ox (equally as giant). Ole Paul supposedly was born somewhere in this northern, mountainous part of Minnesota. The primary is Babe the blue ox in all his glory, the secondary pays homage to the other half of the legend, Paul's axe. This one was a pretty simple explanation, but I'm very happy with how it turned out. C&C is always welcomed, on the Giants as well as the updated previous sets!

I love the logo set, but the S monogram is a little confusing. It reads TS, or ST, and not just the S. I don't know if that is what you were going for, but I'm not sure...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

Superior looks great, love the colors and Babe themed logo. I will say that the indent at the top of Babe's head is throwing me off a bit, it looks like he got hit in the head by a something and it dented his skull. I think that wither making that area curve equal to the horns or bumping it out the opposite direction would help with that.

Unrelated to the actual design though is that you mention the team being from the mountainous part of Minnesota, but Minnesota doesn't have any mountains. There's Eagle Mountain but it's more of a big hill. Hibbing is located in the Iron Range, but range refers to the amount of Iron in the ground there rather than a mountain range.

I suggest making the whites in the Bull’s eyes longer, because it kind of makes the bull look cross-eyed....

spacer.pngspacer.png

I think the Hound still looks off, it's nose should come to more of a point, it's back looks off, and the eye still needs more tweaking. A blood hoods snoot is also much droopier. Here's a good reference image to what I'm talking about. (Here)

I'd also try thinning out the outer gold outline maybe. 

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

Falling behind so I should give a run through while I have the chance!

I think you’re heading in the right direction with the Harlequins. I personally found it hard to make out what each piece was in the final product, but once I figured out that the ruffle at the bottom was the neck area everything fell in place. I’m getting a lot of shadow (scary clown) vibes that are on the edge of menacing and abstract. I think maybe add a nose? Just to give the audience another reference point.

HPU has a great simple branding that will lend influence to the uniforms in all their sports. I could imagine them having a Seahawks like football helmet that involves the neck wrapping around to the back. Very well done.

GAU has a sharp looking Herons logo and I like the colors. I find birds hard to do so I especially appreciate this one. 

ABU is probably my favorite at the moment because of the way you treated the shield, incorporating the hound into the whole thing. Would have preferred to see the dog on its own be a secondary, but based on the type of school it is I understand the use of the shield.

SC has a branding that fits Minnesota. I like the scheme, the name and the visuals to go with it. I will echo Section30’s comment regarding Babe’s forehead. It looks a little awkward, but that’s an easy tweak to an otherwise stellar brand.

On 3/27/2020 at 5:23 PM, chcarlson23 said:

I love the logo set, but the S monogram is a little confusing. It reads TS, or ST, and not just the S. I don't know if that is what you were going for, but I'm not sure...

Unfortunately not what I was going for... check the image below for an updated concept that hopefully gets rid of the confusion! Replaced the axe with the Northern Star, a symbol of Minnesota and a nice reference to their most-northern position in the ACFA

21 hours ago, Section30 said:

Superior looks great, love the colors and Babe themed logo. I will say that the indent at the top of Babe's head is throwing me off a bit, it looks like he got hit in the head by a something and it dented his skull. I think that wither making that area curve equal to the horns or bumping it out the opposite direction would help with that.

Unrelated to the actual design though is that you mention the team being from the mountainous part of Minnesota, but Minnesota doesn't have any mountains. There's Eagle Mountain but it's more of a big hill. Hibbing is located in the Iron Range, but range refers to the amount of Iron in the ground there rather than a mountain range.

Fixed, looks like an inconsistency from the paper sketch made it in on accident!

The Iron range is what I was referring to, I assumed when I read it that it was some kind of mountain range! Mistake on my part, hopefully it does not take away from the concept too much

7 hours ago, Blindsay said:

I suggest making the whites in the Bull’s eyes longer, because it kind of makes the bull look cross-eyed....

Could not unsee it after this comment, fixed!

5 hours ago, _DietDrPepper_ said:

I think the Hound still looks off, it's nose should come to more of a point, it's back looks off, and the eye still needs more tweaking. A blood hoods snoot is also much droopier. Here's a good reference image to what I'm talking about. (Here)

I'd also try thinning out the outer gold outline maybe. 

You have a good eye sir, big changes below! The nose with more of a point looked a little off so I kept it, and the eye will stay for now as well until I figure out a different approach. Hunchback is fixed, and the snout is BIGTIME adjusted. Finally getting happy with it, this was very helpful advice thank you!

3 hours ago, TheHealthiestScratch said:

Falling behind so I should give a run through while I have the chance!

I think you’re heading in the right direction with the Harlequins. I personally found it hard to make out what each piece was in the final product, but once I figured out that the ruffle at the bottom was the neck area everything fell in place. I’m getting a lot of shadow (scary clown) vibes that are on the edge of menacing and abstract. I think maybe add a nose? Just to give the audience another reference point.

HPU has a great simple branding that will lend influence to the uniforms in all their sports. I could imagine them having a Seahawks like football helmet that involves the neck wrapping around to the back. Very well done.

GAU has a sharp looking Herons logo and I like the colors. I find birds hard to do so I especially appreciate this one. 

ABU is probably my favorite at the moment because of the way you treated the shield, incorporating the hound into the whole thing. Would have preferred to see the dog on its own be a secondary, but based on the type of school it is I understand the use of the shield.

SC has a branding that fits Minnesota. I like the scheme, the name and the visuals to go with it. I will echo Section30’s comment regarding Babe’s forehead. It looks a little awkward, but that’s an easy tweak to an otherwise stellar brand.

Harlequins are still giving me a bit of trouble, going to have to revisit them a bit later for a facial do-over and a new secondary.

Very thankful for the kind words on the rest ('Bama Baptist is probably my favorite as well so far, even thought I have no love for the state in any other context) 😁 I've had to stop myself from rushing lately, lots of ideas floating around for uniforms!

No new concepts today, hit a little bit of a creative slump the last few days. Should have something out pretty soon, but don't want any half-assed stuff in this thread if I can help it. Below are the updated concepts for ABU and Superior, any if anyone has any regions they want specifically to see please let me know so I can force some concentration into this project!

605vJSw.png

jVGvutA.png

2 hours ago, Section30 said:

Big fan of the North Star S logo and Babe looks great!

Overall all the updates have been improvements, keep it up!

Thanks for the kind words, this series has been a lot more fun with all the good c&c coming in!

Well, I managed to stir up some creativity today. Roaring in from West Texas...

Texas School of Wells Prairie Dogs

Affiliation: Super Central

Colors: Red, Black, Gold

"Sing Along" - Sturgill Simpson

JMmVr1o.png

Took some inspiration from the Colorado School of Mines for this school name, I don't think "Schools of Wells" exist in real life but it helps spice up the names a bit. Drilling and agriculture are big out in West Texas, so I rolled with the one that was a little more unique from other areas of the country. At one point in time, it's said you couldn't walk through West Texas without seeing a prairie dog scurrying around somewhere. As well as this, they're burrowing critters which made sense with oilers diggin around in the ground. The primary is a simple TW for "Texas Wells" (the common name). The secondary is a prairie dog on alert in front of a pump jack. I tried to keep the detailing to a minimum with the prairie dog because he's already such a comparatively small part of the logo. The hexagon looked vaguely industrial so I rolled with it. Well, this is all I got for today. C&C is what's keeping this thing going, thanks in advance as usual guys!

Archived