American Collegiate Athletics Federation (Looking for C&C 9/9/21)

the_grateful_ted

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, TheLogoFather72 said:

By the way, can you create a spotify playlist with the songs for each school?

Yes I can, that's a great idea! I'll get that started today. Search for "ACAF 2020" on Spotify tomorrow.

1 hour ago, kb105 said:

I mean he did say people from UP are a little strange.

But joking aside, I do think it would look better if the detail was on the other side of the blade, which would show where the shaft meets the blade.

Yeaaaaaa, that's it👀. Agreed, gonna mess around with it today! (insert Michael Scott gif)

1 hour ago, Josef_Bretones said:

Without testicules. It may be necessary to redraw the shovel.

Agreed, changes coming in the next day or so! 

Also, I'm still brainstorming a secondary (not very happy with the current look). If anyone has some thoughts, dm me or something!

sy75hO3.png

Edited the original post, but here it is one more time! Shovel changed, hopefully its a little, er, less confusing. As well as this, secondary changed to something a little more collegiate (More old school to fit the brand as a whole). The text (UMM) is written "backwards", and diagonally because I watched a Santa Clara U basketball documentary and thought it was a cool quirk. More C&C always welcome! 

The surfing moose is pretty great! I don’t think you need the extra U in the secondary, it makes it feel a little busy. With a name so specific I think students would find pride in just “Upper Michigan”, separating themselves from the rest of the schools in a state that has so many. I’d try to find a way to incorporate the moose head by itself in some fashion, it seems strong enough to stand alone. I was going to suggest the football helmet, but there is no way that antlers won’t be used on the helmet. Perhaps the hockey team’s chest logo. That’s all in the future though.

On 4/21/2020 at 3:18 PM, TheHealthiestScratch said:

The surfing moose is pretty great! I don’t think you need the extra U in the secondary, it makes it feel a little busy. With a name so specific I think students would find pride in just “Upper Michigan”, separating themselves from the rest of the schools in a state that has so many. I’d try to find a way to incorporate the moose head by itself in some fashion, it seems strong enough to stand alone. I was going to suggest the football helmet, but there is no way that antlers won’t be used on the helmet. Perhaps the hockey team’s chest logo. That’s all in the future though.

Not entirely sure why I added the extra U, consider it changed! Looks much better. The loose plan I have is to go through every school after the logos are done, and add in tertiary's where I feel like they need them. That way, I don't feel forced to pump out crappy looking third logos for every team. However, the moose head is definitely going to be one of those that I go back to. As always, thank you for the kind words 😁

On 4/21/2020 at 5:08 PM, TheLogoFather72 said:

When are you going to reveal your next school?

Right.... now!

I can't even hide it, this might be my favorite so far. From Northern Georgia...

Blue Ridge College Brigands

Affiliation: Grand Old South

Colors: Dark Green, Cherry Red, White, Aged Gray

"Outlaw State Of Mind" - Chris Stapleton

ywFpAm9.png

A lot to unpack here, here we go. So the school name comes from the Blue Ridge Mountains, which gives the region of N. Georgia all it's curves. The name "Brigand" comes from a couple of things. The first inspiration I got was from the "Bushwackers", essentially confederate guerrilla fighters during the Civil War that were very common across all the Appalachians (including Northern Georgia). I wanted to stay far away from directly using that identity, but keep the same crazy, criminal/rebel identity. "Brigand" is a severely underrated, badass name (it's essentially a highway robber/generally notorious individual). The primary is a skeleton brigand lookin' guy, with some messed up teeth and generally broken looking. The undershirt takes it's hints from the pattern of the Georgia flag, and the flower in it's hat is the state flower of GA, the Cherokee Rose. The secondary is the letters of the school, with a nasty looking dagger coming off the "R".

Like I said before, this might be my favorite so far. I'd love to hear what you guys think! (Also forgot to mention, the Fighting Mooses are updated with a bolder outline and some cleaned up details). Enjoy!

Always would love to hear more C&C for Blue Ridge, but for now, ominously existing in Northern Ohio...

University of Lake Erie Phantoms

Affiliation: Power East

Colors: Depths Blue, Supernatural Green

"daphne did it" - cleopatrick

hdtw6CA.png

Fun Fact: Lake Erie has among the highest concentration of shipwrecks as any lake in the world (!). Eerie, no? A synonym of e(e)rie is spooky, and what do you think of when you think of spooky? For me, Scooby Doo. More specifically, one of my favorite scooby doo cartoons from back in the day ("A Clue for Scooby Doo", look it up and you'll have your aha moment). Diving for shipwrecks has been very common in Lake Erie, and this old-timey scuba suit seemed like a cool, spooky idea to base an identity around. The secondary is a boat, most likely an old, shipwrecked boat possessed by unearthly powers. The tertiary actually makes an appearance on the chest, the seal has an "L" and a "U" on the right, and an "E" on the right. The colors are I guess blue for the waters of Lake Erie, and neon green for supernatural presence. 

This one might be one of the less realistic ones, but I think the logic follows and it's a fun identity as a whole. Looking for comments, criticisms, questions or concerns as always! Enjoy guys 😁

Awesome! I always love a good Scooby-Doo reference and the Captain Cutler episode is one of the all-time classics! The logo is really well-made and For whatever reason, the colors aren't quite doing it for me. I think the blue is a little too bright, maybe toning it down will help the green shine a little more?

the user formerly known as cdclt

On 4/23/2020 at 2:55 PM, QCS said:

Awesome! I always love a good Scooby-Doo reference and the Captain Cutler episode is one of the all-time classics! The logo is really well-made and For whatever reason, the colors aren't quite doing it for me. I think the blue is a little too bright, maybe toning it down will help the green shine a little more?

Played around with the colors, think it looks much better, thanks for the comment! That and Cyber Chase are some of my fondest childhood TV moments, glad you enjoyed it!😃

On 4/23/2020 at 4:08 PM, neo_prankster said:

The flower on the hat makes the pirate look like Mary Poppins.

Couldn't see unsee it once you mentioned it, updated.

22 hours ago, RightGuard said:

I was looking at the map and saw Pacific International changed its name to California International. Is this a revisiion?

The map is where I do a lot of brainstorming, so it's not set in stone. However, I was having some trouble with a name for the Coastal Oregon school, so I am thinking about shifting the Pacific moniker up that way. I don't feel particularly strongly about keeping the name in Anaheim, so "Cal International" might stick!

Wrapping up today, got one more team out of New Mexico...

Yucca University Roadrunners

Affiliation: Territorial 12

Colors: Turquoise, Amarillo Orange, White

"Of Moons, Birds, and Monsters" - MGMT

auWTEMl.png

I knew New Mexico was going to have a Southwestern Native American identity, having the second highest NA population in the US (the highest out of states used in this project). The name comes from the state flower, and a very iconic looking plant in the Southwest, the Yucca. Wasn't sure about the nickname until I saw an amazing Navajo roadrunner design on a rug, and I was sold. Turquoise was an obvious choice, and this yellow-orange color looked very pretty with it. The primary is a geometric "Y", they are the only school that starts with a "Y" in the ACAF so I wanted to make that noticeable. The secondary is said roadrunner design. Overall a lot of native american art in the area is super complex and pattern based, I wanted to ultra-simplify that but still have the main shapes that make it so recognizable.

All the other teams have been updated in their appropriate posts, C&C for any recent teams is welcome. Thanks as always guys, hope everyone is staying safe and healthy!

One more at the end of the day can't hurt! From Northern Idaho...

Panhandle State University of Idaho Spuds

Affiliation: Pacific Frontier

Colors: Soil Brown, Russet Gold, White

"Stray Dog And The Chocolate Shake" - Grandaddy

JJwVAbo.png

THIS was fun, lemme tell you. I've wanted to do a vintage brand with some kind of sailor-hat toting mascot for a while now, I was just waiting until I knew the time was right. The Spuds are obviously located in the panhandle of Idaho, a state famous for it's potato (AKA Spud) production. The colors just ~seemed~ Idaho, and I guess you can read more into the names of the colors. The primary is a "P" for panhandle, with the state outline of Idaho making up the middle portion(?). The secondary is this pissed of russet with a old-school sailor hat and varsity sweater. All things considered, it's a pretty straight forward brand! Still taking C&C on all previous work, I hope you guys enjoy this one as well!

Wow you have been rolling out some quality work. 

Blue Ridge - Feels funny that this team has no blue haha! I like the inspiration and the unique take on the heavily used outlaw type identity. The colors are solid along with the pair of logos. The Georgia flag on the shirt is a brilliant touch to tie the school to their state when the schools name doesn't directly address the state. I like the dagger logo's design, but the two colors seem to bleed in this logo unlike the other. Maybe it is because there isn't any white? I would try giving an option with a white outline just to break it up a little bit. 

University of Lake Erie - Calling a team the "Phantoms" is probably one of the most challenging to build an identity around, but the way you took this was genius. This is probably my favorite you have put together when it comes to the story around what has been produced. Is it a stretch? Maybe for an outsider. But I feel like the student body and locals would appreciate the time that was taken to identify with Lake Erie and not just Ohio itself. As for the actual product, I think the primary does give off a feeling of mystery, and I really enjoy the old school diver gear. The colors work, but I think a darkened blue might help lean more into the eerie vibe you're playing up. Giving a real "coming out of the depths" feeling. The other logo is also solid, but I think the bubbles lack the intimidation and looks out of place. I would replace that with the boat breaking through the water instead.

Yucca U - Logo set seems very traditional and the colors pop. I think this isn't the school for me, but I can't say it doesn't fit what you were aiming to do. I must ask what is up with the "C" on the roadrunner though. Is that the chest?

Panhandle State - To start, the name of this school is just like one of their colors, GOLD. The primary "P" mark does the job, and the Idaho inside makes the simple block very identifiable for the school. I think the spud is hilarious and very well executed. It is fun and the charm it has screams "college classic"! Only thing that bugs me is the sailor hat on a vegetable from a landlocked state. Also, did you name him?

Archived