jerseys/logos in television and movies

On 3/13/2020 at 12:42 PM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I couldn't find a currently open thread on this matter; so I thought I would start one.

On the very funny HBO show Avenue 5, there have been several instances of current (or slightly older than current) logos and jerseys.  This is odd because the show is set in 2060.

It makes sense to me that someone in that year would wear the Cavs jersey of an all-time great like LeBron James.  This is the equivalent of someone wearing a Magic or Bird jersey today.  

avenue-5-lebron.png

But are we expected to believe that Ezekiel Elliott will be equally fondly remembered in forty years' time?

avenue-5-elliott.png

And evidently there will still be some merchandise available then that has the old NFL shield logo.

avenue-5-49ers.png

Clearly this show put no effort into selecting these articles of clothing.  This is a bit surprising for a show that is otherwise very well designed.  By contrast, a show that was paying attention to this question might have had some fun whipping up some plausible future logos for these teams and leagues.

Damn that Zeke Jersey looks fresh off DHGate lol

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Gobbi said:

What’s the story here? Braves jersey with a Giants cap? I’ve never seen the movie. 

This film was about Robert De Niro playing a San Francisco Giants fan who becomes psychotically obsessed with the team's slugger (played by Welsey Snipes). I don't remember that particular scene as it has years since I last saw this movie.  I needed to find a scene from that movie that fits this topic. 

• Like 1

On 4/18/2020 at 11:20 AM, disman00911 said:

This film was about Robert De Niro playing a San Francisco Giants fan who becomes psychotically obsessed with the team's slugger (played by Welsey Snipes). I don't remember that particular scene as it has years since I last saw this movie.  I needed to find a scene from that movie that fits this topic. 

Snipes' character, Bobby Rayburn, use to play for the Braves and signed with the Giants, which is why De Niro's character was wearing the Braves jersey and the Giants cap 

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

Reviving this thread because last week I watched... 
Damn Yankees! (1958) - A disgruntled, middle-aged Washington Senators fan sells his soul to the devil so he can become their star slugger.
srFGJZH.png
Wz3SABK.png
(Incidentally I really liked this sweater design before I knew it was also what they wore in this film.)

• Like 1

Damn Yankees is based on a book called The Year the Yankees Lost the Pennant, which is funny to me because 1) it shows how winning a league pennant was itself seen as an accomplishment; and 2) the Yankees won so many of them in the 1930s, 40s, and 50s that the prospect of somebody else winning one was notable. 

The cover features a (very rough) rendition of the famous Yankee pinstripes. 

spacer.png

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

The most recent episode of the series Pam & Tommy featured a flashback to Pamela Anderson being discovered at a BC Lions game in Vancouver. They didn't get every detail right, but I was surprised how much merch they featured.

spacer.png

spacer.png

They did get the wrong CFL logo on the ball though:

spacer.png

• Like 1

In the 1989 James Bond film LICENCE TO KILL, 007's CIA buddy Felix Leiter has several pennants hanging in his home office including the Yankees, Cowboys, Dodgers, Cubs and Reds:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Lots of other sports memorabilia and team photos as well but I can't make out who they are. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This reminds me that Young Rock recently had an episode featuring Dwayne Johnson's time with the Calgary Stampeders in 1995. I think they did a pretty good job with the mid-90s gear, including hats, hoodies, jackets, the mock turtleneck undershirts with the team name embroidered on the collar, and even the Coca-Cola ad on the practice uniforms:

Young-Rock-Stampeders.jpg

https://www.instagram.com/p/CbYZAAjltSl

https://www.instagram.com/p/CbZW2dCu2rt

15f83b25-6d16-4455-a64d-b162e8a2ae8c-Flu

• Like 2

12 hours ago, officeglenn said:

This reminds me that Young Rock recently had an episode featuring Dwayne Johnson's time with the Calgary Stampeders in 1995. I think they did a pretty good job with the mid-90s gear, including hats, hoodies, jackets, the mock turtleneck undershirts with the team name embroidered on the collar, and even the Coca-Cola ad on the practice uniforms:

Young-Rock-Stampeders.jpg

https://www.instagram.com/p/CbYZAAjltSl

https://www.instagram.com/p/CbZW2dCu2rt

15f83b25-6d16-4455-a64d-b162e8a2ae8c-Flu

Shoulder pads are way too small 

• Like 4