G League Uniform Concepts 14/30 (Agua Caliente Clippers added!)

sawakita33

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/17/2020 at 11:27 PM, sawakita33 said:

So I imagined the G League having violet vs. light green, pink vs. teal etc. etc..

To complete pink vs. teal, here is the Grand Rapids Drive. The design is heavily inspired by the 90's Pistons. Fans have long been asking for the only other color scheme of Detroit (unless you consider the boring black and gray jerseys). The Drive actually wore similar fauxbacks

tdTSaB2.png

• sawakita33 changed the title to G League Uniform Concepts (Grand Rapids Drive added!)

That's beautiful. I never got to see those jerseys in action, although I use them quite frequently on MyTeam (the Piston ones, of course).

I don't really have any complaints here.

One suggestion: I don't know exactly how you're going about these concepts, and I definitely don't want to disrupt the creative flow, but it would be cool to see you tackle some out-of-the-box designs for some of the clubs. The NBA should stick to professionalism, IMO, but the G-League has a lot of room to maneuver the boundaries of jersey design. What if the Drive had their logo on the chest, in a Warriors-esque fashion? or the Herd had a vintage Bucks-style sublimation?

You've proven that you can nail a classic design and your talent is unquestioned. I'd love to see you push some boundaries and really let your ideas fly here. Remember, this is the G-League, you have a license to try something that the NBA team wouldn't (or has in the past).

I recall @darkpiranha saying something similar to me in one of my hockey design projects, it stuck with me ever since. (thanks darkp)

9 hours ago, timberwolf said:

it would be cool to see you tackle some out-of-the-box designs for some of the clubs.

For the main sets, I'm keeping them simple and familiar. But I have been thinking of making City jerseys so maybe I can go crazy with those😅. Thanks for the suggestion @timberwolf. I'll definitely keep that in mind 🙂.

The next few teams are Western Conference Juggernauts (at least their parent clubs are). First up, we have the South Bay Lakers. The template is from the Kobe Era but in 60's Lakers colors. I then used the typography from their main logo. It boggles my mind why the Lakers keep on using the same wordmark in their City jerseys. They should be using this! Or use the cursive Los Angeles. I might try a light blue and yellow version of these too so stay tuned.

S2EEIHM.png

• sawakita33 changed the title to G League Uniform Concepts (South Bay Lakers added!)
Guest darkpiranha
On 4/3/2020 at 12:02 AM, timberwolf said:

That's beautiful. I never got to see those jerseys in action, although I use them quite frequently on MyTeam (the Piston ones, of course).

I don't really have any complaints here.

One suggestion: I don't know exactly how you're going about these concepts, and I definitely don't want to disrupt the creative flow, but it would be cool to see you tackle some out-of-the-box designs for some of the clubs. The NBA should stick to professionalism, IMO, but the G-League has a lot of room to maneuver the boundaries of jersey design. What if the Drive had their logo on the chest, in a Warriors-esque fashion? or the Herd had a vintage Bucks-style sublimation?

You've proven that you can nail a classic design and your talent is unquestioned. I'd love to see you push some boundaries and really let your ideas fly here. Remember, this is the G-League, you have a license to try something that the NBA team wouldn't (or has in the past).

I recall @darkpiranha saying something similar to me in one of my hockey design projects, it stuck with me ever since. (thanks darkp)

Thanks for the shoutout!  That was a while ago!  I've always thought it would be neat for a team to have distinct identities for different uses, like one mascot at home and a different one (but related in some way) on the road.  It would definitely be radical, but like you said, perfect for the G-League!  

Here is South Bay Version 2. Colors inspired by their MPLS days. I changed the collar because the Kobe era template looked too familiar. I think I like this one better. The yellow ties up quite nicely with the Lakers while the color combination gives it a very sunny LA vibe.

WsjgVSL.png

Next we have another Western Conference Dynasty G League team - the Austin Toros. Austin should've kept their old team name tbh. The color scheme obviously came from the Spurs's fiesta branding, with the teal uniform reminiscent of the 1996 San Antonio All Star Game uniform. It kinda looks like my Grand Rapid Drive concept, but hey it looks good - very 90's Grizzlies-y. Wordmarks used are from the previous Spurs jerseys and finally the diamond sides are inspired by the George Gervin uniforms. I have no idea why the Spurs keep on  recycling their camouflage city jerseys when they could be putting out something like this. Easily one of my favorites from my G League concepts.

EH0Tr8z.png

• sawakita33 changed the title to G League Uniform Concepts (Austin Toros and South Bay Lakers v2 added!)

Very clean. I’ve always wanted the Spurs to do something with those colours but they seem to love the camp theme.

Only thing I’d change... I’d make the black jersey the home to avoid Drive similarities and stay consistent with the parent club. Just a really minor nitpick though, I don’t see an issue having the teal as the primary. Just another suggestion.

I love both Laker uniforms, and the blue/gold might be my favourite of the two.

On 4/9/2020 at 12:48 AM, timberwolf said:

I’d make the black jersey the home to avoid Drive similarities and stay consistent with the parent club.

You're right. I'm probably dropping the color vs. color idea in this G League series. Then I'll add a fourth jersey so it evens out on instagram 😅

I was supposed to post Santa Cruz and OKC concepts for the rest of the Western Conference powerhouses but wasn't really feeling what I came up with. I'll pivot instead to a couple of Eastern Conference teams.

First up is @timberwolf's very own Raptors 905. The design is a simplified version of the Raptors' inaugural set. Kept a red jersey as a nod to Canada and Toronto/905's current identity. Another pet peeve I have with the G League jerseys is the use of only current NBA numbers (which don't match the wordmarks!) so I fixed it up here. These are definitely more 🔥 than Toronto's current uniforms. 

52ydknS.png

• sawakita33 changed the title to G League Uniform Concepts (Raptors 905 added!)
On 4/18/2020 at 7:20 AM, Seadragon76 said:

When are you going to get to the Iowa Wolves?

Just finished 'em. They'll be the third post after this one. But I'm thinking of renaming them back to Energy. What do you think?

Next, we have another Eastern team in stripes - the Lakeland Magic. The design is an updated version of the original striped jerseys. I paired the classic wordmark with the current numbers to tone it down a bit (but not as toned down as Orlando's jerseys). I also mimicked the color mismatch of the wordmark and numbers from the 90's unis. Lakeland apparently wore jerseys similar to this during a 90's Night promotion.

X3R7UU7.png

• sawakita33 changed the title to G League Uniform Concepts (Lakeland Magic added!)
2 hours ago, sawakita33 said:

Just finished 'em. They'll be the third post after this one. But I'm thinking of renaming them back to Energy. What do you think?

Honestly, that would be a great idea to combine the old name with the Timberwolves' color scheme. Make that happen.

On 4/29/2020 at 10:11 PM, qckgnc said:

I like that a lot of these are based on throwback designs and I'm excited to see Greensboro because of it. Are you going to use Birmingham for the Pels?

Guess what team I'll be posting next after this 😉. Oohh I didn't know that they were moving the Bayhawks to Birmingham. Thanks for the info 😀.

Because all of us are watching The Last Dance, it's just appropriate to post the Windy City Bulls! I changed the color scheme to that of the Chicago flag and applied striping to all the uniforms. The diamonds on the shorts were removed since Austin has them already. I really like Windy City's wordmarks because they look like the Bulls's classic font with horns. Overall, I like how it turned out. Windy City now has a unique yet familiar identity.

5LfGUtt.png

• sawakita33 changed the title to G League Uniform Concepts (Windy City Bulls added!)

The set looks good. This is one where I could see some improvements.

The pinstripes are nice, but the last three clubs all have them. I'm assuming they're based off these...so if you decide to go pinstripes, maybe make them smaller and closer together (and less similar to the Magic ones).

I love these colours and I fully agree that they should become more prominent with the Windy City club. This set just needs more colour balancing. On the blue and white sets, there's almost no black...and then the red set has the black name and numbers. I understand the difficulty of balancing three bold colours, such as these. I'm sure there is a plethora of directions you could go. Maybe make the names/numbers black on every jersey? or keeping the those the same and simply adding some more black into the striping?

This set is so close to being perfect, just needs a little more.

Archived