NWSL Crest/Kit Unveilings/Changes

Digby

5 minutes ago, Digby said:

Those are really great. Really love how the Thorns lean into the Victorian sad-goth thing. Very Portland.

I'd say they're going in on their team name, they're also using what looks like a blown up version of England's away shirt. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The execution is pretty good, but they're a miss from me, almost certainly because I don't like the Thorns as a black-heavy team. The fan base seems to really like it, which is all that ultimately matters, but to me, the Thorns are best as a red-heavy team. I at least greatly prefer the color balance on either of these looks:

Screen_Shot_2015-08-12_at_12.04.59_PM_36 2ayxUZJ0qvkmsiOqyntsY43mufSANjgFf8TdvxxK

6fQjS3M.png

Love these Thorns kits. My only quibble would be on the typeface used for the BAON neckline. I read it as BRON at first. 

For those of you wondering what BAON stands for, here's what the Riveters supporters group says about it

By Any Other Name is the narrative of the Riveters, a nod to the Rose City, and a pledge to the Thorns. Regardless of what we call ourselves, what the club calls itself, what the names of the women who wear our badge are, we will support with all we have.

4 hours ago, crashcarson15 said:

The execution is pretty good, but they're a miss from me, almost certainly because I don't like the Thorns as a black-heavy team. The fan base seems to really like it, which is all that ultimately matters, but to me, the Thorns are best as a red-heavy team. I at least greatly prefer the color balance on either of these looks:

Screen_Shot_2015-08-12_at_12.04.59_PM_36 2ayxUZJ0qvkmsiOqyntsY43mufSANjgFf8TdvxxK

I think something like last year's black/red look is a better look. The flowers being so large are a bit much so I bought the away jersey.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/20/2020 at 12:31 PM, upperV03 said:

The Thorns have officially revealed their new kits:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Just like last year, these are fully custom and on Nike’s newest template. They’re the only NWSL club getting kits on Nike’s latest templates. I have to say these really do look fantastic. I’m still not totally sold on the idea of black primaries, but it’s something that a lot of Thorns fans here have been clamoring for, and it does look quite nice. The away is an upgrade from last year in that the pattern is much more visible and more relevant to the team, but some red accenting would’ve been nice and really put it over the top.

HNYv5qv.jpg

Social CBD is the new training gear sponsor.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

4FgYtIe.jpg

Got the men's version of the Thorns away shirt. This is a L. I'm a bit rounder near the center as well. The sleeves are a little tighter than the last replica design but not by much. The only thing it's missing is the raised pattern on the chest and sleeves, but that was expected. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Looks like Orlando released a new away jersey; they're calling it the "White Plume" kit.

7236f253-0f77-4a5a-92f4-1175c0b6f75d.jpg

Apparently, it's swan themed because of swans on Lake Eola. It's not terrible for a mostly blank white jersey, but I'd appreciate some more color somewhere...

• 2 weeks later...

In general I think we need to get some better photographers for these NWSL teams. We've got kit unveils featuring Birkenstocks and chain-link fences. Red Stars HQ needs to start image-consulting for their rivals, apparently. 

Can't tell if the Spirit stripes are playing tricks on my eyes. Are they gold?

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

I feel like there are a lot of things about that Spirit shirt I shouldn't like, but I actually think it kinda works and like the overall look. I'm a huge fan of prominently pairing both navy and a bright red in general — it's such a good look to me (ditto for why I love D.C. United with red shorts).

Sky Blue in with an effort I think works pretty well:

s454408447256822312_p129_i1_w1080.jpeg

6fQjS3M.png

2 hours ago, Digby said:

In general I think we need to get some better photographers for these NWSL teams. We've got kit unveils featuring Birkenstocks and chain-link fences. Red Stars HQ needs to start image-consulting for their rivals, apparently. 

Can't tell if the Spirit stripes are playing tricks on my eyes. Are they gold?

They look grey to me. And it looks like they borrowed someone's patio. Maybe they weren't allowed in the stadium and decided on this instead of finding a spot at the training grounds.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

And... the Reign have finally released their first uniforms under their new ownership:

As generic as the lion crest :/

At least they kept a blue jersey, but definitely not feeling the heavy red trim on the primary white kit.

12 hours ago, crashcarson15 said:

Sky Blue in with an effort I think works pretty well:

s454408447256822312_p129_i1_w1080.jpeg

Overall pretty cool, but I feel like they could've made the different shades of blue/teal of the crest, sponsor, and design work together a tad better.

13 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

Washington Spirit have released their new kit. 

It's alright, but the Spirit seem traditionally more red-dominant than navy-dominant to me, so this feels kinda backwards!

Archived