NWSL Crest/Kit Unveilings/Changes

Digby

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Waffles said:

Los Angeles is getting an NWSL franchise named Angel City FC:

This might be a preview of some of the branding:

I was looking at this last week, and I find it hard to distinguish what that color may be. It's got kind of a rose gold hue to it. 

From what I read on Twitter, this club won't be owned by LAFC, so it would seem unlikely to share any branding elements.  

This bid has been in development since at least April of last year. That's when Natalie Portman, Uzo Aduba, Jessica Chastain, America Ferrera, and Jennifer Garner attended the U.S. Women's National Team friendly versus Belgium at Banc of California Stadium in support of the Time's Up for Equal Pay initiative. 

Following that match, Portman and venture capitalist Kara Nortman initiated the effort to land a National Women's Soccer League team for Los Angeles. Nortman reached out to fellow venture capitalist Alex Ohanian, who - through his venture capital firm, Initial Capital - will be the lead investor in the team. Gaming entrepreneur Julie Uhrman is also a principal investor, as well as rumored to be in line to serve as Angel City FC's president. Mia Hamm is one of more than a dozen former players - Julie Foudy and Abby Wambach are other names one hears mentioned - that will be part of the ownership group, as will actresses including Aduba, Ferrera, Garner, and Eva Longoria.   

On 7/21/2020 at 3:32 PM, CaliforniaGlowin said:

How about Angelic FC? Similar idea but original. Colors lavender and pastel yellow. Softer version of the Lakers.

Angel City has a better sound to it. Apparently the local women's roller derby league is raising a stink as they're called the Angel City Roller Derby. Not sure what kind of pushback they can mount but they're not happy they weren't considered when the name was announced.

City of Angels FC sounds nice, but naming yourself after a failed mens minor league team isn't a great look. I wouldn't mind using a literal translation of the city's name, something like The Angels FC, although I could see the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, California taking issue with it.

6 hours ago, GDAWG said:

I see that the team is following the LAFC model of having 100 people own the team.  If they win and win fast, that won't be much of an issue.  

LA Sol were pretty decent. I could see the league trying to make LA one of the better teams in the league immediately. 

• 3 weeks later...

26 minutes ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

I found a Facebook page with an international team called Angel City FC.  Don't know if that will be an issue.

Not unless that team has US trademarks.  The fact that the NWSL team has come this far indicates that they don’t. 

9 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

The team says Angel City FC might not be the official name, but they are selling gear with Angel City on it.  Could it be that Angel City is the "city" name and they could later have a team name?  Has a team sold gear at the team launch only to change the name before they play? 

I think they're trying to make this a nickname while still coming up with an official name later on. As far as teams changing names, the only one I can think of is the Akron Aeros, which were initially the Blast. I'm sure there's a few Blast t-shirts still out there somewhere. 

• 1 month later...

I came across the minor league United Women's Soccer with some puzzling logos:

spacer.png

A men's name and logo for a women's team?

spacer.png

Not sure about this, but it looks like a man too.  Or a women's face on a man's body?

There are a lot of teams in this league, some with decent logos:

https://uwssoccer.com/teams/

8 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

I came across the minor league United Women's Soccer with some puzzling logos:

spacer.png

A men's name and logo for a women's team?

spacer.png

Not sure about this, but it looks like a man too.  Or a women's face on a man's body?

There are a lot of teams in this league, some with decent logos:

https://uwssoccer.com/teams/

I think some of these teams field both men’s and women’s squads, so that could explain those crests.