NWSL Crest/Kit Unveilings/Changes

Digby

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's probably just Photoshop, but I guess this suggests that the Reign might keep the away jersey with the new generic logo:

Homepage-Feature-Banner-2020GroupTickets.jpg?format=500w

The possibility's a bit odd, given the stripe is made of small diamonds from the old logo.

On 4/9/2020 at 12:23 PM, vtgco said:

It's probably just Photoshop, but I guess this suggests that the Reign might keep the away jersey with the new generic logo:

Homepage-Feature-Banner-2020GroupTickets.jpg?format=500w

The possibility's a bit odd, given the stripe is made of small diamonds from the old logo.

It's possibly a case of not wanting to release the new uniforms yet. You don't want to use training gear instead of an actual uniform and I think the new badge in that picture is smaller than the Seattle badge was.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• 3 weeks later...

I really hope I get to see the Red Stars actually play in these. They now have one of the best full uniform sets in the country.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I don't like the "make stripes out of tiny words" trend, just feels like detail for its own sake. But the overall design is indeed fantastic. I agree with @crashcarson15's assessment and in thinking about it, I don't think there's any profound genius behind it. They just pick the ideas that make obvious sense and execute them well. Why is this so hard for so many teams, especially the other soccer team in town?

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

11 hours ago, crashcarson15 said:

The list of sports teams better at branding than the Red Stars is very short.

Wow, looks like they've already sold out their initial shipment of men's sizes L, XL, and XXL (though they might not have ordered many men's jerseys in the first place).

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

They definitely order a good amount of men's jerseys as well, speaking as someone who has been to their retail partner's store a few times. I believe last season, they ended up selling through four printings of their "Elevated" kit, and orders at the end of the season were backordered into December.

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

15 minutes ago, Sodboy13 said:

They definitely order a good amount of men's jerseys as well, speaking as someone who has been to their retail partner's store a few times. I believe last season, they ended up selling through four printings of their "Elevated" kit, and orders at the end of the season were backordered into December.

That makes selling out their first run of men’s L, XL, and XXL jerseys in the first day even more impressive. When things get back to normal, I expect to see more Red Stars “Neighborhood” kits around town than any of the rebranded Fire’s crap. 

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

14 minutes ago, Mingjai said:

When things get back to normal, I expect to see more Red Stars “Neighborhood” kits around town than any of the rebranded Fire’s crap. 

Chicago has such an amazing flag, I’m shocked that the Fire haven’t done more with it than an occasional third kit.

Maybe being out in Bridgeview, they felt an obligation to not scare the suburbanites. But moving back to the lakefront?  It’s malpractice. 

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

Chicago has such an amazing flag, I’m shocked that the Fire haven’t done more with it than an occasional third kit.

Maybe being out in Bridgeview, they felt an obligation to not scare the suburbanites. But moving back to the lakefront?  It’s malpractice. 

Has anyone worn 3rd kits other than LA Galaxy and Sporting KC since adidas became the sole supplier?

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Well, the Fire did.  That’s the one I was talking about. 

spacer.png

The Sounders have had a couple. 

spacer.png 

NYCFC chose not to have a third kit in 2015, in part because they already had a one-year kit in the black change strip, and in part because they wanted to establish the City Blue brand for at least a year before introducing one.  Then Adidas and the league phased them out as of the 2016 season. 

That Fire third kit doesn’t come close to the Red Stars’ take, though. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Of all the things that Fire 3rd got wrong, putting the flag on the sleeve in a way that made the MLS logo the 5th star on the Chicago flag may have been the most egregious. On my last trip to SeatGeek, I saw more of the original flag-inspired one-off from Puma (1) than I did of this abomination.

The Timbers have had two third kits in their MLS history, both of which were retro inspired and were some of the classiest kits in the league’s recent history:

spacer.png

spacer.png

The Whitecaps had their awesome brown third kits:

spacer.png

Philly had their Bethlehem Steel fauxbacks:

spacer.png

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

15 hours ago, upperV03 said:

The Timbers have had two third kits in their MLS history, both of which were retro inspired and were some of the classiest kits in the league’s recent history:

spacer.png

spacer.png

My lord, those Timbers throwbacks are pure class. I can't even place why, but they just look phenomenal. 

the user formerly known as cdclt

• 3 weeks later...

The Thorns have officially revealed their new kits:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Just like last year, these are fully custom and on Nike’s newest template. They’re the only NWSL club getting kits on Nike’s latest templates. I have to say these really do look fantastic. I’m still not totally sold on the idea of black primaries, but it’s something that a lot of Thorns fans here have been clamoring for, and it does look quite nice. The away is an upgrade from last year in that the pattern is much more visible and more relevant to the team, but some red accenting would’ve been nice and really put it over the top.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Archived