Louisiana or Louisiana-Lafayette

CrimsonBull9584

27 minutes ago, CrimsonBull9584 said:

Is the school officially Louisiana or Louisiana-Lafayette? I've always heard Louisiana-Lafayette, but it seems that (at some point) they dropped Lafayette.

Anyone have some clarification on this?

The School is officially University of Louisiana at Lafayette but for athletics branding they are the Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns, however some refer to them as their academic abriviation UL Lafayette.

https://www.louisiana.edu/about-us/media/proper-use-universitys-name

Signature intentionally left blank

The above post pretty much got it. The decision to go by Louisiana has caused much anguish and gnashing of teeth in the state. There's not supposed to be a flagship of the UL system, so one of the schools using Louisiana pisses a lot of people off, especially Louisiana-Monroe and Louisiana Tech since they're the other FBS schools in the system. ULL supposedly got permission from Tulane who were once called the University of Louisiana, but also I don't think that that matters at all.

As a follower of ESPN+'s favorite conference, the Sun Belt, I generally just refer to them as the Cajuns. Or if I'm feeling salty after a loss I go with Southwestern Louisiana-Lafayette. It puts a small band-aid over the arterial spray of my mind.

On 3/16/2020 at 7:41 PM, Dynasty said:

Isn't this the same thing with California-Berkeley being called just California?

More like someone in Lafayette, Louisiana was taking a shower and then wondered why almost every other state has a [State Name] University and a [State Name] State University but Louisiana didn't. Then, they took it from there. 

On 3/24/2020 at 4:09 PM, Red Comet said:

More like someone in Lafayette, Louisiana was taking a shower and then wondered why almost every other state has a [State Name] University and a [State Name] State University but Louisiana didn't. Then, they took it from there. 

Minnesota is University of Minnesota, Twin Cities. 

Minnesota-Duluth, and others are just, University of Minnesota Duluth, for example. 

Ohio's system is a bit strange. There's 14 major universities, and each one can have satellite campuses. 

Ohio State, Kent State, Akron, Cleveland State, Toledo, Bowling Green State, Miami, Central State, Shawnee State, Cincinnati, Wright State, Youngstown State, Ohio and Northeast Ohio Medical. 

The Ohio State University is the flagship university and campus in the entire system. 

Kent State has 7 other campuses all over northeast Ohio. Ohio has southeast Ohio. Ohio State has campuses in Central Ohio. And Cincinnati, and Miami have Few in southwest Ohio and BGSU has one other campus. 

But at least Ohio named the major colleges different names. And other "state" universities don't use the "Ohio State-Youngstown" style. And been those in the Ohio State or other umbrellas don't label the primary campus. Almost all the other campuses are named by their location. You just know Kent State is in Kent. But Kent State-Trumbull is in Trumbull County. 

But the University of Texas System actually calls the main campus the University of Texas at Austin. And there's been times state legislators, usually from other universities strong arming UT to stop using Texas as their school name for sports and use Texas-Austin. Like Texas-Arlington, Texas-San Antonio, UTPB, UTRGV or the most notable UTEP. But it has always fallen apart without anything happening. 

Archived