LA Chargers rebrand (9/3)

Htown1141

click here to go down to most recent post

I tried to create something iNsPiReD bY tHe PaSt

- The shield logo and the bolt are incorporated into a new primary with a kickass horse. I went without an eye because I couldn't really figure out a proper shape for it that fit the bolt going through the center of the design.

- The wordmark is a lil uninspired, but isn't supposed to be the primary focus anywhere it would be used except for merch, where it would mostly be used with the horse.

- The uniforms use a custom number font and try to simplify things. No more double outline (no need for one) and no dumb stupid over the shoulder bolt striping, which I always felt was a little forced. I added bolts to the socks!

eip2082.png

lW2qVHk.png

vzpb9l2.png

KLlmisa.png

Lemme know what y'all think!

First of all, love the uniforms. The only change I would like to see would be the swapping a yellow face mask for the white one but that’s not a dealbreaker at all, I just really like their helmet with a yellow mask. 

The size and shape of the horse’s war is off. It’s too fat and short. Maybe angle the ear forward a bit, like this:

spacer.png

Also, while I like the overall design of the number font, I think the serifs could be a little shorter. As they are now I can envision some legibility issues, especially with the 5, 6, and 8. Not a big deal, just a thought. 

Anyway, I think it’s a good start and with some tweaks, it could even better.

17 minutes ago, 8BW14 said:

First of all, love the uniforms. The only change I would like to see would be the swapping a yellow face mask for the white one but that’s not a dealbreaker at all, I just really like their helmet with a yellow mask. 

The size and shape of the horse’s war is off. It’s too fat and short. Maybe angle the ear forward a bit, like this:

(cut for space)

Also, while I like the overall design of the number font, I think the serifs could be a little shorter. As they are now I can envision some legibility issues, especially with the 5, 6, and 8. Not a big deal, just a thought. 

Anyway, I think it’s a good start and with some tweaks, it could even better.

they're actually grey facemasks lol but I might think about swapping it over

also thanks for making me realize I drew a cat ear last night and not a horse ear lol

kg1TTxo.png

this immediately looks so much better.

The numbers will be addressed but I'm just trying to figure out how short i want the serifs/ not short enough and it looks the same, too short and they look like the rockets' new wordmark.

The yellow parts of the horse head get lost on the yellow background. I'd make the whole shield blue. And the stroke is a bit too thick. Aside from that (and the aforementioned font issues), this is amazing and exactly what the Chargers should do. I would love to see alternate jersey and pants options to complete the look. Great Job!

lBzmcSM.png

Perrin Grubb | Aspiring Designer | NAFA Project ~ NFL Redesigns

The ear is miles better and after seeing it on a white background I’m thinking maybe the top half of the horse should be blue too? Or maybe the top part of the shield? It does feel a bit heavy on the yellow

8 minutes ago, 8BW14 said:

The ear is miles better and after seeing it on a white background I’m thinking maybe the top half of the horse should be blue too? Or maybe the top part of the shield? It does feel a bit heavy on the yellow

55 minutes ago, rjrrzube said:

I don't know, too much gold? Maybe flip the gold and blue on the horse head? Then the middle of the shield would have to be blue, too. 

I like the uniforms. 

I decided to go with a 1960 shield inspired look that I think looks good in both applications

uGiRfoi.png

hey Rams, take note in what "inspired by the past" means.

Just now, woody86 said:

Im liking the changes you've been making, and your receptiveness to feeback. Wondering how it'd look to lengthen the ears just a bit more. Overall great work! 

Either just, or detach the "mane" from the back of the current ear. Not see if that's what it's intended to be, but I can envision  if you take that yellow line off the back of the ear it looking pretty spot on 

22 hours ago, woody86 said:

Either just, or detach the "mane" from the back of the current ear. Not see if that's what it's intended to be, but I can envision  if you take that yellow line off the back of the ear it looking pretty spot on 

I updated the ear, and added the new bolt. I had to work on the horse a little but I still think it all fits together nicely.

0yM2ewD.png

updated uniforms and numbers coming soon!

Guest darkpiranha

Love love love this.  The ONLY thing I'm curious to see what it would look like is if the horse was angled forward in a more active pose.  It's just not 'charging' forward.  It's resting in a stately fashion.  

3 hours ago, Htown1141 said:

I updated the ear, and added the new bolt. I had to work on the horse a little but I still think it all fits together nicely.

0yM2ewD.png

Looks good. The new bolt feels much more dynamic thank the original. The tweaks you made were small but I think they make a huge difference. Can’t wait to see it on the helmet.

edit: I’m a couple hours behind. I didn’t realize your new bolt was the actual new bolt. Anyway, it works better in your concept

This is fantastic.  I think you nailed the shield after a few tries! Big fan of the horse and bolt from the start. The sublimated bolt on the middle of the horse's jaw is great too. I'm here for more work on this concept!  

On a separate but related note, I have always correlated the Chargers' horse to the Athletics' elephant.  Both are subtle compliments to each team's identity that are vastly under used.

That looks really nice!  Great work!  I really like how you incorporated the bolt in the horse.

I'm curious as to how the bolt in your design would look if it had the powder blue outline like the official one does.  Not saying as a suggestion, just as a curiosity.

On 3/24/2020 at 3:38 PM, Htown1141 said:

0yM2ewD.png

I think the horse's chin should be tucked down like the image from 8bw14 and the old logo. Right now, at a glance, the head has a dog vibe.

2014Event7_Medal.pngEvent5_Medal.pngSDLureFT1L2.pngwb9iz8.jpg

• 5 months later...

The horse is fantastic, but the only issue I see is how the curve at the top of the shield isn't symmetrical. 

I think this would benefit from smoothing that out. If the shield has 3 tips at the top (like the NFL shield), I think the center tip needs to be extended a little and the two curves to the left and right tips need to be the same. 

Archived