Rams Logo Concept, looking for critiques

Jvelleu

Hi all --

I've been getting back into design a little bit during this covid quarantine/social-distancing and I'm looking for some feedback on this concept. Im overall pretty happy with it and feel it's close to done, but I'm not 100% sold on the eye of the ram yet. I've probably gone through 20 iteration on this eye and I just can't get anything to sit right completely with me. Option 2 was my original choice, but I wasn't really happy with how it looked in one color. I then settled on Option 1 and I'm like 90% sure it's the right decision, but I could use some validation.

Do you have any thoughts/ideas/feedback? Am i right to go with option 1? Should I reconsider option 2 for any reason?

Any other critiques on the logo in general are welcome too!

thanks!

spacer.png

Good start. I think the mouth needs some work as well. Other people may be able to provide better input, but I think the abundance of sharp lines on the head portion contrasts a little too much with the smooth, rounded horns. 

This may have been completely unintentional, but the eye on option 1 almost looks like an “LA” to me. I prefer that one to option 2 personally. Keep it going!

1 hour ago, builtbymachines said:

Option 01 is my pick.

I think it’s a very nice start nice but needs to be stretched vertically, looks like it is being pressed down by something.

Yeah I get that, but I actually chose to have it slightly wider like it is; I feel horizontal logos just work better in the nfl, especially when you consider score bugs and other media templates that have to support all nfl logos.

spacer.png

Also, I like the harmony the current proportionality has with this wordmark I'm working on.

spacer.png

I like it! This is very nice! Agree with @BVZ that the mouth needs some work. If I'm being honest, the negative space there looks a bit phallic. The ram horns feel a little flat and elongated on the top as well. I'd try rounding the top of the horns while thinking of how that shape would look on the helmet. The face looks like it is charging but rams will tuck their chins down to absorb impact when they are butting heads. I'd rotate the logo clockwise so that the stance matches that aggressive expression. Overall, great job!

I0000NkCBd11k11U.jpg

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

1 hour ago, BVZ said:

I think the mouth needs some work as well. 

Hmm, interested in what you would suggest

1 hour ago, BVZ said:

Other people may be able to provide better input, but I think the abundance of sharp lines on the head portion contrasts a little too much with the smooth, rounded horns. 

Yeah I see the contrast there. I have played with smoothing different parts out, but so far haven't been successful in doing so with losing some of the personality. I'll keep playing around with it, thanks.

1 minute ago, Jvelleu said:

Yeah I get that, but I actually chose to have it slightly wider like it is; I feel horizontal logos just work better in the nfl, especially when you consider score bugs and other media templates that have to support all nfl logos.

Also, I like the harmony the current proportionality has with this wordmark I'm working on.

If you prefer the wider orientation, I'd try to give him a more stoic look -- especially around the mouth. 

latest?cb=20150403211525

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

Going back to your main question on the eye -- I really like the line above the eye on option 2, as it accentuates the aggressive brow. The overall shape of the shadow and the lower portion of option 1 seem to work better for the space. If you combine the best of both, I think it'd look great. Essentially, use the eye from option 1, but add the brow line on the top from option 2. 

When looking at your mouth design, from the evolution gif I can see that the inner notches supposed to be teeth. Try to re-add the indent on the front of the teeth to distinguish between the they start and where the lips(?) end. Right now it looks like they’ve merged into this weird scary zombie mouth to me

The logo looks squashed to me. I think it’s because of the way the horns sweep back. Look at the pic jvillejags posted and you can see the horns don’t come out of the head like that. It’s really throwing it off for me. They’re also way too big. I’d make them come off the head in a more vertical direction and scale them down by a third.

I’ll also echo the sentiments about the mouth/teeth. I might also even suggest closing the mouth all-together?

The word mark is really nice by the way. I wouldn’t change a thing about it.

7 hours ago, j'villejags said:

I like it! This is very nice! Agree with @BVZ that the mouth needs some work. If I'm being honest, the negative space there looks a bit phallic. 

You put this much more eloquently than I would have, so thanks for that. 

Really enjoy the seeing the evolution gif of this. I would echo @8BW14 about maybe closing the mouth altogether. I think taking away the sharp lines on the mouth and shrinking the horns and slightly changing their angles to a more vertical approach like others have stated would help. Good work

On 3/24/2020 at 12:38 PM, Jvelleu said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Try tilting it 15-20 degrees clockwise and squeezing just the horns horizontally. Maybe try having him barring his teeth instead of open mouthed, this would reduce the negative space in the mouth.

2014Event7_Medal.pngEvent5_Medal.pngSDLureFT1L2.pngwb9iz8.jpg

Archived