Colts to tweak Logo/Unis in 2020

Wentz2Jeffery

Overall, I like all the changes.

1) New wordmark - the old one was fine, but really looked 'old'.  The new one looks contemporary, without being dated.  At worst it's a lateral, but I'd consider it an upgrade.

2) New numbers - kinda weird to throwback your numbers if you're moving your wordmark forward, but I still like them.  The Cowboys should be using them, but since they're not, let the Colts have them.  Upgrade.

3) Secondary logo - meh.  It's fine.  Took me a second to realize why the inside of the C was so jagged and awkward, but whatever.  It's harmless.  Won't see it much except on hats, and if the locals want to 'rep the state', then fine.  Lateral / trivial.

4) The helmet - I can't really tell the difference.  Lateral.

5) Piss on the black swoosh, and piss on the fact that they even had to mention that in their announcement.  Piss on the whole thing.  Downgrade.

So out of 5 things, they're 2-1-2, for 6 points out a possible 10.  If we weight it in terms of important, they got the big things right, so I'll give them an 8 out of 10.  Not bad.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

4) The helmet - I can't really tell the difference.  Lateral.

The Helmet Change was adding the New Wordmark, changing the Number Font on the back, and using the Primary version of the Logo on the Helmet instead of a slightly different variation of it.

da0Lbhs.png

Going to a more distinctive number style and unifying the helmet and print logo are good changes (though I liked the helmet mark slightly better than the print one, if I’m honest). The other changes, however, are puzzling.

The new wordmark is a little clunky and undercooked; definitely cut from the same cloth as Detroit’s. The old one had that goofy, novelty look that was common in its era, but it had personality, and I think the curves and serifs were a nice link to the form of the horseshoe, and now the numbers as well. Shame to see that go in favor of something with much less style and character to it.

The secondary logo is a real clunker, in my opinion. After ISU, I think it’s safe to say that clever uses of the Indiana state shape should come with a “just because you can doesn’t mean you should” disclaimer. I like this one better because it’s not quite as simplistic as the ISU silhouette, but it still doesn’t work for me. The irregular placement of the holes seals it.

The black swoosh is probably the strangest design change I’ve ever seen. I just don’t know what to say about it, it makes so little sense.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

11 minutes ago, simtek34 said:

The Helmet Change was adding the New Wordmark, changing the Number Font on the back, and using the Primary version of the Logo on the Helmet instead of a slightly different variation of it.

I can't tell the difference between the horseshoes.  Is one fatter at the bottom?  That's about all I can see.

8 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

The black swoosh is probably the strangest design change I’ve ever seen. I just don’t know what to say about it, it makes so little sense.

Well now it jumps out, rather than blending in since it's the same color.  Not that it really blended in, but it certainly is more noticeable now.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Superb update.  Everyone else already said what I was going to say so I won’t be repetitive.  Great job to whoever was involved (except to whomever decided on the black Swoosh, that’s dumb).

Number font was honestly the only update here, I preferred the helmet logo to the primary and wished they changed it to the primary, the new font is a downgrade, the black swosh is kinda ridiculous, I consider this a lateral move if anything, they should've just updated the number font and added sock stripes. 

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

I think the number font is ugly and I preferred the logo that was just replaced. But Nike mostly did no harm, which is generally the best you can hope from them.

I think a black and white Colts uniform will look pretty nice, TBH. If any team is suited to looking like they're still in the black and white TV era, it's the Colts.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Archived