Colts to tweak Logo/Unis in 2020

Wentz2Jeffery

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Sorry - the incongruous color swoosh. Lime green. Black. Orange. Red. Single (or limited) use on the uniform.

If that wasn't what you were getting at, then pay no attention 🙂

What's more is, at least on the Seattle shirt, it looks blank without the swoosh:

ff_2920235alt1_full.jpg&w=900

They introduced a design element solely to pop in their logo.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

30 minutes ago, ebod39 said:

The black swoosh on the white jerseys is ridiculous. So out of left field and makes zero sense.

High-top Black: The Nike Swoosh™ tribute to the black high-top cleats worn by legendary Colts quarterback, Johnny Unitas.

6uXNWAo.png

57 minutes ago, VikWings said:

At first I was like "meh ok nothing too crazy, pretty much what I expected) and then I saw that extremely pointless black swoosh. It's definitely there as an excuse to have a BFBS alternate in a few years.

I would say it's for merch reasons, but I'm pretty sure every team already has black t-shirts/hats/hoodies/etc, I mean even the Dolphins do.

right, theres no reason to introduce “anvil” as an official team color. you can even get Yankees hats in about any color you want but that doesnt mean it has to be on field. 

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

33 minutes ago, ebod39 said:

The black swoosh on the white jerseys is ridiculous. So out of left field and makes zero sense.

Exactly & that is my problem with a lot of updates. They have to throw something in that just makes no sense. Its like the Falcons silver face mask it makes no sense unless you are going to incorporate silver in the uniform which they did not.  The Titans pant stripe that looks nothing like the rest of the uniform. I can at least know where they were going if it makes sense but when you just randomly add something I just can't stand it. My rant is over! 

23 minutes ago, Cujo said:

High-top Black: The Nike Swoosh™ tribute to the black high-top cleats worn by legendary Colts quarterback, Johnny Unitas.

Is that the reason?  I don't see anything listed in their press release or website.

It doesn't make it any better.

2 hours ago, upperV03 said:

spacer.png
spacer.png

spacer.png

Totally off to the side, but having been to Lucas Oil numerous times...that giant window [that actually was designed to open during good weather, but I don't know that they ever have] casts some of the weirdest lights and shadows onto that field. I still want to know who thought that was a great idea...

...Back on topic, I'm cool with the update. 

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

New wordmark is nice,

Retro numbers are huge upgrade,

Secondary logo is ok, at least for now it's only on neckline so no one will see it.

Black swoosh is forced and unnecessary.

Overall I like it, but thing that bother me is how these tweaks affect to a 5 year rule?

4r2eer.png

spacer.png

So for all the grey face mask people, I have a question ... You say it goes with the teams that have traditional identities, but my question is, if they are wearing these completely modern helmets as we see in the Colts unveil pictures, does it still look appropriate to you? IMHO I think you have to have and older shell or older looking shell for a grey face mask to have the desired effect....   Grey face masks, I think of  Jim Plunkett ,Jim Brown, Johnny Unitas  that era, and the only reason they used them then was the lack of color availability if I'm not mistaken...

I said I had a feeling the old western wordmark was gonna be gone. And what a pit a nice tall, CURVY seriffed font, gets replaced by a modern squared font. The C with the holes is brutal.

Shame I was right. Now were down to what 2.5 teams left? (Cowboys, Bills, 49ers flirt with their old wordmark)

14 minutes ago, zoogs44 said:

spacer.png

So for all the grey face mask people, I have a question ... You say it goes with the teams that have traditional identities, but my question is, if they are wearing these completely modern helmets as we see in the Colts unveil pictures, does it still look appropriate to you? IMHO I think you have to have and older shell or older looking shell for a grey face mask to have the desired effect....   Grey face masks, I think of  Jim Plunkett ,Jim Brown, Johnny Unitas  that era, and the only reason they used them then was the lack of color availability if I'm not mistaken...

classic Gulf Racing liveries still work great on modern Porsches. its about using visuals to conjure certain connotations and, as much as i dislike the phrase, "tell a story". one that is cohesive. the Colts uniforms are now worse because they're being pulled into different directions— different stories being told. you have elements being pushed forward (black and 2 logos) and others being pushed back (numbers). the facemask matters less now than ever i think.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

7 minutes ago, BrandMooreArt said:

classic Gulf Racing liveries still work great on modern Porsches. its about using visuals to conjure certain connotations and, as much as i dislike the phrase, "tell a story". one that is cohesive. the Colts uniforms are now worse because they're being pulled into different directions— different stories being told. you have elements being pushed forward (black and 2 logos) and others being pushed back (numbers). the facemask matters less now than ever i think.

For me personally, I feel like its more like putting a chrome bumper on a 2020 Camaro or Challenger trying to harken back the 60s & 70s muscle cars, the 2020 Camaro or Challenger is retro styled after all, but to me it doesn't work because no matter how retro it is , it still isnt a 1970 Challenger, its a 2020 Challenger designed to look somewhat like a 1970....

38 minutes ago, EddieJ1984 said:

I said I had a feeling the old western wordmark was gonna be gone. And what a pit a nice tall, CURVY seriffed font, gets replaced by a modern squared font. The C with the holes is brutal.

Shame I was right. Now were down to what 2.5 teams left? (Cowboys, Bills, 49ers flirt with their old wordmark)

The Vikings use the same wordmark they used upon their inception in '61. Sure, they used that weird stencil font during the nineties, but they did have good sense to return to and stick with the old/current beauty. 

edit- I see now that you're talking specifically about western marks, not just classic marks. Oh well, any excuse to draw attention to how good the Vikings' wordmark is, I guess. 

1 hour ago, zoogs44 said:

For me personally, I feel like its more like putting a chrome bumper on a 2020 Camaro or Challenger trying to harken back the 60s & 70s muscle cars, the 2020 Camaro or Challenger is retro styled after all, but to me it doesn't work because no matter how retro it is , it still isnt a 1970 Challenger, its a 2020 Challenger designed to look somewhat like a 1970....

its not taking the single bar Unitas facemask and placing it on the modern helmet, its just the color. we can make it look old (livery) by not changing any functional piece of the modern uniform. 

GRAPHIC ARTIST

I like it. Wordmark is improved, numberfont looks decent, and I like the secondary logo they introduced. The black swoosh doesn't really bug me, especially considering the Colts are one of those teams that have a grey facemask despite it not being anywhere in their colours.

4 hours ago, Chromatic said:

I like it. Wordmark is improved, numberfont looks decent, and I like the secondary logo they introduced. The black swoosh doesn't really bug me, especially considering the Colts are one of those teams that have a grey facemask despite it not being anywhere in their colours.

Well, if you blend the white with the black swoosh, I believe you'll get grey. Or, just skip cleaning the uniforms for a week or two... ;) 

Maybe it’s been mentioned, but when I first saw the leak of the C inside the collar, I thought it was a bad screen print. You can fire my geography teacher if he’s still alive, before I realized it was the state. Really, this was change for change sake as the numbers aren’t that much different, the word mark is worse, but it’s only on the helmet bumper, and a big eff you to a black swoosh. Personally, I hate the gray mask, so I’d go back to blue (or even white) so the casual fan would actually say there’s something new or different.

KISSwall09.jpg

Archived