Colts to tweak Logo/Unis in 2020

Wentz2Jeffery

1 hour ago, Tracy MidGrady said:

Has there ever been an explanation for 7 dots on logo?

The seven nails?  Not so far as I know.

I do know that the person who designed the logo doesn't understand actual horseshoes.  If you put a nail at the very bottom of a horseshoe, you'd hurt the horse.

370px-Indianapolis_Colts_logo.svg.png56e5925b60b60.0.jpg (480×445)

Always reminds me of the San Jose Sharks logo, designed by a guy who didn't know what a hockey stick looks like.  :lol:

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ Those grommets on the horseshoe logo actually are the explanation for the grommets in the C logo--it was mentioned in the logo graphic when it was first unveiled. 

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

On 4/17/2020 at 9:53 AM, Shumway said:

Both are awful, the Colts should've flipped the shoe into a C for an alternate and thrown Indiana in the middle if they felt necessary. 

22 hours ago, Tracy MidGrady said:

Has there ever been an explanation for 7 dots on logo?

probably a lucky-number-7 thing to go along with the lucky horseshoe.

which, per the superstition, is always in the U shape so “the luck doesn’t spill out”

so...doing the obvious and making it into a C would spill out their luck and ruin the point of having a horseshoe in the first place

On 4/18/2020 at 11:16 AM, Buc said:

^ Those grommets on the horseshoe logo actually are the explanation for the grommets in the C logo--it was mentioned in the logo graphic when it was first unveiled. 

I know they call them grommets, but they’re the only ones.

Again, it’s like the Colts have never actually seen a horseshoe.  😂

• 4 weeks later...

love the new typeface. its inspired by the Baltimore numbers but evolved to be something new.

but whats odd is they put the print horseshoe logo on the helmet to build consistency; eliminating the slight variations between those logos. only then to end up at that very place with the typography. the new logos are just a out of the box font (no customization beyond being typed out) of something similar, but certainly different. 

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

I don't get why the top of the A is rounded when everything else is angled.

I really hope we don't see #FORTHESHOE all season long.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

13 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

The top of the T, N, and M are also rounded. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

14 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I really hope we don't see #FORTHESHOE all season long.

The Colts have used the phrase "For the Shoe" for a while now. Just looking online the earliest I see it documented anywhere is 2016, but I think I've heard it said before that as well.

MZnWkGU.png

StL Cardinals - Indy Colts - Indiana Pacers - Let's Go Blues! - Missouri State Bears - IU Hoosiers - St Louis City SC

On 4/17/2020 at 1:12 PM, MDGP said:

And that is how parallel thinking can get you successfully sued.

Subconscious copyright infringement is very much a real thing, and if it can be shown that you were aware of the thing you're infringing upon, even if you didn't mean to infringe, they can still get you.

See George Harrison's "My Sweet Lord" as an example.

Are people seriously thinking the Colts stole some logo design from a high school in their city? After perusing through the school website, I found no instances of that logo being used (funnily enough, they use the Notre Dame Fighting Irish logo often - how's that for hypocritical copyright infringement?) So all of you declaring the Colts should have known about this school logo - well, turns out it isn't actually their logo. I'm guessing it was an unused concept by a student or very seldom-used alternate logo (though I could also be wrong, I'm not doing a super deep dive into this random catholic school's athletic history).

It's a block C creatively making use of negative space. Hardly novel. This is not a ripoff.

For what it's worth, I dig it. Indy has long needed an alternate logo and to inject a little juice into its stale brand

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

45 minutes ago, chestnutz said:

Are people seriously thinking the Colts stole some logo design from a high school in their city? After perusing through the school website, I found no instances of that logo being used (funnily enough, they use the Notre Dame Fighting Irish logo often - how's that for hypocritical copyright infringement?) So all of you declaring the Colts should have known about this school logo - well, turns out it isn't actually their logo. I'm guessing it was an unused concept by a student or very seldom-used alternate logo (though I could also be wrong, I'm not doing a super deep dive into this random catholic school's athletic history).

It's a block C creatively making use of negative space. Hardly novel. This is not a ripoff.

For what it's worth, I dig it. Indy has long needed an alternate logo and to inject a little juice into its stale brand

Literally from the coach who designed the logo. I'm not saying they did it on purpose, I was just pointing out that an artist can design something and get sued for it without realizing that they're using something that someone else designed previously. It's called cryptomnesia. If the person who created a piece of art prior can show a causal chain that demonstrates that the second person could have or should have been aware of the logo, then there is an argument for copyright infringement.

----------------------

On the topic of "Do people really think the Colts would steal a design from a high school team," quite frankly, I've seen enough examples of stars/big corporations doing things like that where I'd absolutely believe it. Again, the above example of George Harrison's "My Sweet Lord", where the main tune of the song was taken from the Chiffons' song "He's so fine."

Or more recently there has been the issue of Quibi, a 2 billion dollar streaming service created by Jeffery Katzenberg straight up lifting the name, aesthetic, and general idea of Everything Is Terrible's Memory Hole

EU8FgT2VAAAojyo?format=jpg&name=small

And let's not forget the time where an actual NFL team had to stop using a logo because they committed copyright infringement when they designed it.

Karol_201109_clip_image0021-350x207.jpg

Again, I'm not at all saying the Colts purposely used a design that a high school uses, but is it out of the realm of possibility that they would? Hell no.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

7 minutes ago, MDGP said:

Literally from the coach who designed the logo. I'm not saying they did it on purpose, I was just pointing out that an artist can design something and get sued for it without realizing that they're using something that someone else designed previously. It's called cryptomnesia. If the person who created a piece of art prior can show a causal chain that demonstrates that the second person could have or should have been aware of the logo, then there is an argument for copyright infringement.

----------------------

On the topic of "Do people really think the Colts would steal a design from a high school team," quite frankly, I've seen enough examples of stars/big corporations doing things like that where I'd absolutely believe it. Again, the above example of George Harrison's "My Sweet Lord", where the main tune of the song was taken from the Chiffons' song "He's so fine."

Or more recently there has been the issue of Quibi, a 2 billion dollar streaming service created by Jeffery Katzenberg straight up lifting the name, aesthetic, and general idea of Everything Is Terrible's Memory Hole

EU8FgT2VAAAojyo?format=jpg&name=small

And let's not forget the time where an actual NFL team had to stop using a logo because they committed copyright infringement when they designed it.

Karol_201109_clip_image0021-350x207.jpg

Again, I'm not at all saying the Colts purposely used a design that a high school uses, but is it out of the realm of possibility that they would? Hell no.

I think there was an issue with the angels a wing logo as well...from what I remember there was a softball team or something that was using a similar winged a or some other letter but the concept was basically the same. I think the sale of the club and moving away from that uniform may have proactively scuttled the issue.

22 hours ago, MDGP said:

Hadn't seen that, thanks for sharing! Still looks like those are mostly proposed logos that haven't been used on any official school merch, so I doubt some Nike designer managed to find these then turn it into a Colts logo (though who knows - you're right, seen it happen enough times). I still see this as a case of two different designs, come to on their own, that have the same features and thus inevitably end up similar, as it's the pretty obvious solution to creating a C monogram and adding some state pride (I'm also of the opinion that a rotated horseshoe "C" logo would be an awful idea, so that's out). I mean, is the Mets monogram a ripoff of the Yankees monogram, or is that simply the best solution to overlapping those two letters? I just hesitate to use the word ripoff in this scenario, as to me that screams blatant plagiarism, which I just don't think is the case here. Now that Ravens one, THAT'S a ripoff. If I was the original Cathedral designer though, I'd probably naturally be suspicious too.

Sidenote: anyone else think that cross in the state logo looks a bit too much like crosshairs? Probably not a great idea for a school..

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

On 5/21/2020 at 3:34 PM, chestnutz said:

Sidenote: anyone else think that cross in the state logo looks a bit too much like crosshairs? Probably not a great idea for a school..

It's a Celtic cross. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celtic_cross

On 5/21/2020 at 1:52 PM, chestnutz said:

The Colts' brand is one of the NFL's most storied. It's part of the lore of one of the NFL's greatest games. It's associated with two of the greatest QBs of all time. Multiple NFL and Super Bowl championships. 

Stale? Nah. 

This actually reminds me of the Maple Leafs' ill-fated TML alternate logo. Fills a perceived "need," adds nothing, and will be dropped in relatively short order with little fanfare. 

On 5/21/2020 at 3:34 PM, chestnutz said:

I mean, is the Mets monogram a ripoff of the Yankees monogram, or is that simply the best solution to overlapping those two letters?

The Mets inherited their NY from the Giants. And the Giants and Yankees' NYs were designed back in the day before sports branding was an actual business.

Whereas the Colts designed their logo in 2019/2020, apparently copying a logo of a local high school team they partner with. 

Kind of an "apples and oranges" comparison. 

30 minutes ago, IceCap said:

The Colts' brand is one of the NFL's most storied. It's part of the lore of one of the NFL's greatest games. It's associated with two of the greatest QBs of all time. Multiple NFL and Super Bowl championships. 

Stale? Nah. 

It's stale.  Even when they had Manning, it was more about him, and less about the franchise.  That 'greatest game' is one that few (not no) people under 50 know much about.  I'm north of 40 and don't even remember their days in Baltimore, and their days in Indianapolis are marred by boring teams (pre Manning) playing in a soulless poorly-lit dome, and then the Manning show, where IMO the logo on his helmet was irrelevant. 

Leaving the AFC East hurt their prestige, IMO. Their regular battles with New York, New England, Buffalo, and Miami being replaced by battles with completely irrelevant teams like Tennessee, Jacksonville, and marginally-relevant Houston really made them fade away.

Controversial opinion - they should have abandoned the Colts trademarks when they moved, and become something else.  It was a different era, so "Cleveland Deals" weren't a thing, but IMO the Indianapolis Colts is a stale brand. Not saying they should come up with some new fangled logo in a desperate attempt to get attention, but it's stale.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

6 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Controversial opinion - they should have abandoned the Colts trademarks when they moved, and become something else.  It was a different era, so "Cleveland Deals" weren't a thing, but IMO the Indianapolis Colts is a stale brand. Not saying they should come up with some new fangled logo in a desperate attempt to get attention, but it's stale.

Maybe they should have, but they didn't and they've been the "Indianapolis Colts" longer than they were the "Baltimore Colts." Coulda, woulda, shoulda, but they didn't. It's been thirty-six years and the Colts have a pretty strong legacy across two cities. 

I don't see anything stale about their brand. It's traditional, but they're a traditional franchise. And we've seen what happens when traditional teams try to "revitalize" things (Rams). 

I think a lot of it, for me, was that they've sucked for the majority of my life, and played in a warehouse on astroturf.  Maybe if they were playing under natural light I wouldn't have seen them as so (literally) dull, but the lifeless dome sorta contradicted their traditional look, and just made it look boring to me.  It also doesn't help that Indianapolis isn't a sexy location with a half-century's worth of equity built up.

It's all just opinion here, but it's mine that it's a stale brand.

19 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I think a lot of it, for me, was that they've sucked for the majority of my life, and played in a warehouse on astroturf.  Maybe if they were playing under natural light I wouldn't have seen them as so (literally) dull, but the lifeless dome sorta contradicted their traditional look, and just made it look boring to me.  It also doesn't help that Indianapolis isn't a sexy location with a half-century's worth of equity built up.

It's all just opinion here, but it's mine that it's a stale brand.

That's a fair of assessment of the RCA Dome, but Indianapolis is a tremendously underrated city and Lucas Oil Stadium is among the nicest in the NFL. I love going there for the Big Ten Championship.

Archived