Colts to tweak Logo/Unis in 2020

Wentz2Jeffery

7 hours ago, IceCap said:

No thanks. The Colts have such a classic look. A small tweak here or there wouldn't be bad, but something like that? No thanks.

A simple inversion of colors isn’t really that huge of a tweak either... I mean I’m good with what they have. The uniform is a classic, but if the 2021 helmet rule change actually happens this should be top on their list.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, DNAsports said:

A simple inversion of colors isn’t really that huge of a tweak either... I mean I’m good with what they have. The uniform is a classic, but if the 2021 helmet rule change actually happens this should be top on their list.

You're just proving @oldschoolvikings's point. The idea about relaxing the one helmet rule was supposed to be to be about letting teams throw back to looks with different colour shells. And now we're talking about the possibility of an alternate Colts helmet with inverted colours just because.

I mean, they could claim it was inspired by their 1955 set, which they threw back to in 2010 (though that was obviously a darker shade of blue and featured two horseshoes on the back). 

Personally, I wouldn’t mind a relaxed helmet rule. If you allow just one more helmet than is currently permitted, most teams will go for a throwback design. Others who have worn the same colored helmet for most or all of their history would either stick with one helmet or go for a black or white version of their current design, and I wouldn’t be against a team like the Raiders wearing a black helmet once in a while.

Sure, maybe a team or two gets wild (I’m looking at you Jaguars with teal or Dolphins with aqua). But it’s not like the Chiefs and Vikings are going to be suddenly wearing yellow helmets or the Bears wearing orange helmets or a team like the Seahawks passing up the opportunity to wear their gray throwback helmets for action green.

20 minutes ago, AndrewMLind said:

Personally, I wouldn’t mind a relaxed helmet rule. If you allow just one more helmet than is currently permitted, most teams will go for a throwback design. Others who have worn the same colored helmet for most or all of their history would either stick with one helmet or go for a black or white version of their current design, and I wouldn’t be against a team like the Raiders wearing a black helmet once in a while.

Yeah, :censored: that.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

24 minutes ago, AndrewMLind said:

I mean, they could claim it was inspired by their 1955 set, which they threw back to in 2010 (though that was obviously a darker shade of blue and featured two horseshoes on the back). 

Sure, maybe a team or two gets wild (I’m looking at you Jaguars with teal or Dolphins with aqua). But it’s not like the Chiefs and Vikings are going to be suddenly wearing yellow helmets or the Bears wearing orange helmets or a team like the Seahawks passing up the opportunity to wear their gray throwback helmets for action green.

You know Nike, riddel, the NFL, or the team themself would go “you know what this team needs, a chrome lime green helmet“ at some point. Or a pink helmet for breast cancer. Look at college football and tell us that won’t happen to the NFL at some point

20 minutes ago, dont care said:

Look at college football and tell us that won’t happen to the NFL at some point

I think NFL teams would tend to be more conservative than the attention-seeking college football teams to which you’re referring. And by limiting the number of helmets to two per team, you’re much more likely to get tasteful alternate helmets than you are to get off-the-wall designs. Again, that’s not to say one or two teams won’t try it. But the majority won’t stray far from throwback or complementary designs. 

you never think it could happen to your favorite team, it only happens to others. and here we are. sure, say "its just small tweaks" but im preparing myself for those to be awful.

if i had to take a guess though, i'd say they'll probably change the jersey stripe a bit. maybe LSU like?

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

1 hour ago, AndrewMLind said:

Personally, I wouldn’t mind a relaxed helmet rule. If you allow just one more helmet than is currently permitted, most teams will go for a throwback design.

A relaxed helmet rule is only really a good thing if it's written down that the alternate helmet can ONLY be used for throwback purposes. If that isn't explicitly stated? Then the NFL is taking the first steps to NCAA-levels of ridiculousness.

12 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

For those of you excited by the death of the one helmet rule... say hello to 2023.

There is no evidence to support your claim, and no need for you to continue to make stupid generalizations.  I explained myself in a previous post, but you continue to make the slippery slope argument and generalize people that like throwback helmets without even having the courtesy to address rebuttals and have a mature discussion.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Like a lot of people around here, I wouldn’t mind seeing the Colts change their number font but (Unpopular Opinion Alert), I’d like to see them use the helmet number font on their jerseys, or at least a version with proportions better suited to a jersey. 
spacer.pngThis was the best pic I could find, but I really like the full serif on the top of the 1 and the diagonal on the 2.  It’s unique to the NFL but it’s still a traditional block font.

22 hours ago, Mingjai said:

Socks stripes. Please. But hopefully their away socks are solid white with two blue stripes--their previous striped socks didn't look right with their away uniforms.

2005-indianapolis-colts_pg_600.jpg

31b720b61452087de91eacac03a936f1.jpg

I think it looks fine with the white jerseys. The genius in that sock design is that it can be viewed as two white stripes on a blue field or two blue stripes on a white field (with a blue color block above), so it works with both jerseys.

10 minutes ago, 8BW14 said:

Like a lot of people around here, I wouldn’t mind seeing the Colts change their number font but (Unpopular Opinion Alert), I’d like to see them use the helmet number font on their jerseys, or at least a version with proportions better suited to a jersey. 
spacer.pngThis was the best pic I could find, but I really like the full serif on the top of the 1 and the diagonal on the 2.  It’s unique to the NFL but it’s still a traditional block font.

I think that would be cool. Classic, but distinctive. I wish Alabama would do it, too.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

It's a little too vertical for me.  Stretch it a little wider and it's a winner.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

There is no evidence to support your claim, and no need for you to continue to make stupid generalizations.  I explained myself in a previous post, but you continue to make the slippery slope argument and generalize people that like throwback helmets without even having the courtesy to address rebuttals and have a mature discussion.

Well, this just isn’t true.  I’ve explained a few times why I think these things are definitely part of a slippery slope. I mean, yeah, I did ignore your earlier post about how my opinion was “the dumbest thing, by far, you’ve ever read on this site” (now there’s some “mature discussion”), because I thought it wasn’t really worth responding to, and from the goofy hyperbole I half assumed you were kidding. But if now, after calling my opinion “worse than Tnak’s” you’d like to engage in some “mature" debate, I’ll give it a try. (Although as you have pointed out my obvious limited intellectual facilities, how well can I really expect to do?)

Here’s the slippery slope, as it has pertained to the NFL’s stance on alternate jerseys. The first example of any sort of alternate jersey, at least in the Super Bowl era, was back in the 90’s when everyone wore Throwbacks a couple times that year. Seemed like a one time deal. But after that a few teams starting mixing them in. So the NFL instituted a policy that teams could wear EITHER a throwback or an alt jersey in a secondary color, only twice and only at home. Checking Gridiron Database, you can see that this stated policy got messed with before too long.  The Panthers started wearing their alt on the road, and at some point, three became the maximum amount instead of two. OK, that seems a bit slippery to me. Next came a possible FORTH jersey, when the NFL decided to do the Color Rush stuff. But don’t worry! They have a very strict policy! Only on Thursday nights!  Except that that policy (slippery slope?) went away in two years. Now a team can wear that color rush jersey whenever. And mix and match them with other uniform pieces. And if there are still restrictions on how often you can wear an alternate uniform, I can’t tell what they are.  Last year the Ravens and Titans wore 9 different combos. The Jaguars wore 10. (Again, according the Gridiron Database.) Now you can like all this variety or dislike it… that’s up to you, but I don’t see how you can debate (mature or otherwise) that the track alternate jerseys and uniforms followed from 1994 until today can be seen as a slippery slope.

So, you’re right, that there’s no absolute proof that alternate helmets would follow this same path. The NFL could institute a policy (you know, like all those previous defunct policies) that says alt helmets are for throwbacks only. But, really… is it all that crazy to think that, based on everything I outlined above, after opening the door to alternate helmets those rules (whatever they are at first) will become more relaxed as time goes by?  That a newer team that doesn’t have a throwback helmet possibility from their history might want to try out an alt helmet too?  That Nike and the NFL might want to push another Color Rush type promotion, this time including helmets? I don’t know, maybe that is the dumbest thing you’ve ever read on this site, but even if it is, there seems to be more than a few people on here that agree with me.    

Remember, this is a league where several teams started running a Wildcat package in their offense just because the Dolphins fooled the Patriots one afternoon. Eventually, there will be some classics that hop on the bandwagon just to keep up with the hips and the trendies.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

The second helmet each team should adopt:

Cardinals- NONE

Falcons- RED/BLACK (whichever one they don’t use in the redesign)

Ravens- PURPLE

Bills- RED

Panthers- BLACK

Bears- NONE

Bengals- NONE

Browns- NONE

Cowboys- WHITE

Broncos- LIGHT BLUE

Lions- NONE

Packers- NONE

Texans- RED

Colts- BLUE

Jaguars- TEAL

Chiefs- NONE

Dolphins- NONE

Vikings- DARK PURPLE

Patriots- WHITE

Saints- DARKER GOLD or WHITE

Giants- NONE

Jets- WHITE

Raiders- NONE

Eagles- KELLY GREEN

Steelers- YELLOW

Chargers- DARK or ROYAL BLUE

49ers- NONE

Seahawks- SILVER

Rams- NAVY BLUE (assuming they change the helmet color for redesign)

Buccaneers- WHITE

Titans- WHITE

Redskins- FAUX LEATHER/YELLOW

11 teams should opt for no second helmet

21 remaining teams should opt for second helmet

Out of the 11 teams:

- All of them can utilize throwbacks

Out of the 21 teams:

- 14 should opt for helmets geared towards strictly throwbacks

- 7 should opt for helmets geared towards throwbacks or something completely new

Archived