Patriots Unveil New Uniforms

Wentz2Jeffery

I understand the Pats wore it for years but i don't get the love for them wearing red full time.  One: it's completely not what they are known for now with the exemption of uniform buffs or long time patriot fans & with so much great success coming sense going to a blue primary. Two: the historical aspect of a team named the Patriots  wearing red makes zero sense to me. 

#DTWD #GoJaguars

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The red uniforms need to stay as a one-off thing. They look great, but they also bring back way too many painful memories for true Patriots fans. The team was atrocious when they wore those things, which might be more reason for some people to want them back!

For what it's worth, I'm hearing around these parts that the Patriots might have something close to their color rush uniform with the striping. White helmet and a different numbered font to match this updated front from a few years back:

patriots-e1372883878642.jpg?w=312

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

11 hours ago, Dynasty said:

I use to be all for them removing silver, but I don't know now. I think they can make it work.

The tweet the OP posted doesn't list the Patriots making a logo change and considering that the logo is navy/red/silver, that could be an indication of silver staying. I could be wrong though, as logo colors don't always heavily factor in the uniform colors.

I agree and I hope they retain Silver as it works extremely well with Navy & Red.  If anything, I hope they simplify the uniform greatly, and with Belichick likely involved in the decision-making process and either not giving a hoot or caring a lot, I would not be surprised if that's the case.  Knowing everything we know about Bill, it's easy to surmise that they'll get rid of any and all frill.  Would not be surprised to see a Penn State-like uniform.

If they are just making semi-subtle changes, my hope is for the following:

NAVY JERSEY

- removal of Grey striping on neckband

- removal of Grey shoulder stripes

- removal of all side paneling & piping

- update # font, use Grey fill with Red outline

GREY PANT

- no changes

WHITE JERSEY

- removal of Navy striping on neckband

- removal of Navy shoulder stripes

- removal of all side paneling & piping

- update # font, use Navy with Red outline

NAVY PANT

- delete from lineup.....just wear one pant, like the Steelers/Packers/49ers/Raiders

4 minutes ago, CLEstones said:

This may not be the time or place for this, but can someone explain why in their logo, the left side goes from red to navy at a hard line?  It doesn't make sense to me.  Thanks.

It's supposed to be like an abstraction of a waving American flag. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

I know the tradition is that the minutemen and the colonial/U.S. army wore blue during the American Revolution, but the actual history, at least according to my college professor is more complicated than that (this is from some old class notes):

Many veterans of the French and Indian Wars wore their old uniforms, which were blue with red facing. But just as common were volunteers who showed up in hunting shirts. General Washington was authorized by Congress on March 23, 1779 to set the color. General Order of October 2, 1779 officially established blue as the color. The rules were that at least officers were to have one uniform which conformed, but even by the end of the war it was not fully implemented. 

So, for at least a portion of the war there was no declared color or uniform; and even when it was set as blue, it wasn't a hard and strict rule.

We need to remember, in a lot of battles, the colonial units were more guerrilla fighters than traditional soldiers.

My point is that you could make the same argument for blue for a team called the Patriots as you could argue that such a team could just wear a rag-tag collection of all sort of contrasting colors and styles.

It's another reason why I've never cared for the argument that the Patriots uniforms should not be red or shouldn't include silver/grey or a thousand other arguments about what their colors should be.

17 hours ago, Volt said:

Have they actually never worn this combo?  It looks like it was made to be worn together...way better than White over Navy.

There's a commercial floating around with the Patriots and another team (generic players) and they're wearing this combo. I can't for the life of me find it though. Nor do I remember what the commercial was for - so this was a pointless post.

3 minutes ago, speedy said:

There's a commercial floating around with the Patriots and another team (generic players) and they're wearing this combo. I can't for the life of me find it though. Nor do I remember what the commercial was for - so this was a pointless post.

Go back one page.

28 minutes ago, Volt said:

I agree and I hope they retain Silver as it works extremely well with Navy & Red.  If anything, I hope they simplify the uniform greatly, and with Belichick likely involved in the decision-making process and either not giving a hoot or caring a lot, I would not be surprised if that's the case.  Knowing everything we know about Bill, it's easy to surmise that they'll get rid of any and all frill.  Would not be surprised to see a Penn State-like uniform.

Belichick has stated at least once that the throwbacks are some of his favorite jerseys - I think it was in 2009 he was mic'ed up saying he liked the Patriots AFL uniforms but thought the Broncos' brown and yellow unis looked awful. If he really wanted to get rid of any and all frill, he would have done it years ago. 

I really don't see the Patriots going just plain navy jersey. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

30 minutes ago, Brass said:

The red uniforms need to stay as a one-off thing. They look great, but they also bring back way too many painful memories for true Patriots fans. The team was atrocious when they wore those things, which might be more reason for some people to want them back!

For what it's worth, I'm hearing around these parts that the Patriots might have something close to their color rush uniform with the striping. White helmet and a different numbered font to match this updated front from a few years back:

What are these parts, and who is saying this? I mean, we've seen 80 different concepts and 50 different posts with dudes saying "I hope they go with white helmets!!"

2 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

What are these parts, and who is saying this?

"These parts" are New England. And I know someone who is a beat writer for the team.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

I totally get the thought of red being a bit ironic because of redcoats, but I guess it never bothered me much because of some other patriotic themed teams wearing red uniforms at different times too (like the Capitals and 76ers) to the point where it seems like enough of a theme to work. The Capitals I understand are referring to something more broad and not at all pointing of course to the revolutionary period. However, I’ve assumed “76ers” to be basically referencing the same figures that the Patriots are, and they’ve also worn red uniforms off and on. So if the wearing of red really was that big an error for the Patriots, then it maybe should’ve been for the 76ers, too. 

With all that aside (and regardless of team record, too), in a vacuum I’ve always thought the Pat Patriot uniforms were beautiful, most especially the last iteration (with the red road pants) before the Flying Elvis rebrand. Pat needed some work, but the uniform itself was really well done in my opinion. I love all the matching stripes, it was just one of those “satisfying” uniforms in history to me.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

32 minutes ago, jws008 said:

I know the tradition is that the minutemen and the colonial/U.S. army wore blue during the American Revolution, but the actual history, at least according to my college professor is more complicated than that (this is from some old class notes):

Many veterans of the French and Indian Wars wore their old uniforms, which were blue with red facing. But just as common were volunteers who showed up in hunting shirts. General Washington was authorized by Congress on March 23, 1779 to set the color. General Order of October 2, 1779 officially established blue as the color. The rules were that at least officers were to have one uniform which conformed, but even by the end of the war it was not fully implemented. 

Each state had different color facings as well to identify what state was which. That ended up carrying over as branch colors for Army units after the war. Branch colors are still worn by officers on their dress uniforms but not by enlisted soldiers outside of the infantry who add a blue disk around their branch insignia.

https://historyofmassachusetts.org/uniforms-revolutionary-war-soldiers/

Each state regiment in the Continental army had different colors for the linings, buttons and facings:

New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Connecticut and Massachusetts soldiers wore white facings, linings and buttons.

New York and New Jersey soldiers wore buff facings with white linings and buttons.

Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland and Virginia soldiers wore red facings with white linings and buttons.

North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia soldiers wore blue facings with white linings and buttons.

Light Dragoons wore blue coats with white facings.

According to an article titled “Guide to Military Uniforms” on military.com, the reason blue was chosen for the Continental Army uniforms was because it was in direct contrast to the British Army’s red uniforms.

In addition to the blue coats, the Continental army also wore white, off-white or beige waistcoats, breeches and long-sleeved hunting shirts, black tricorne hats, white stockings and black or dark shoes with buckles.

The reason that the Patriots wore red to begin with though, was that in an 8 team league, there would have been 5 teams in blue jerseys if they didn't wear red (New York Titans, Buffalo, Houston and San Diego). Instead two teams wore red and four teams had blue until the Titans changed to the Jets and wore green.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

46 minutes ago, Brass said:

The Calgary Stampeders have a similar number font and I don't think it looks all that bad (though I would say the placement of the spikes on the different numbers are inconsistent).

calgary-kamar-jorden-celebrates-touchdow

stampaction052-copy.jpg?quality=60&strip

4 minutes ago, FinsUp1214 said:

I totally get the thought of red being a bit ironic because of redcoats, but I guess it never bothered me much because of some other patriotic themed teams wearing red uniforms at different times too (like the Capitals and 76ers) to the point where it seems like enough of a theme to work. The Capitals I understand are referring to something more broad and not at all pointing of course to the revolutionary period. However, I’ve assumed “76ers” to be basically referencing the same figures that the Patriots are, and they’ve also worn red uniforms off and on. So if the wearing of red really was that big a error for the Patriots, then it maybe should’ve been for the 76ers, too. 

The difference I would say with the 76ers and Capitals and the Patriots, is that the 76ers and Capitals are more abstract references to the United States/patriotism and are using the colours of the States. The Patriots on the other hand are a specific reference to the people who didn't wear red.

IbjBaeE.png

4 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

The difference I would say with the 76ers and Capitals and the Patriots, is that the 76ers and Capitals are more abstract references to the United States/patriotism and are using the colours of the States. The Patriots on the other hand are a specific reference to the people who didn't wear red.

I'd say the 76ers are bit closer to the Patriots than the Capitals, especially with "Unite or Die" motto and dribbling Ben Franklin.

9 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

I'd say the 76ers are bit closer to the Patriots than the Capitals, especially with "Unite or Die" motto and dribbling Ben Franklin.

They've also moved to blue as their primary color over red in their last rebrand. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

There is one other uniform tradition that the Patriots uniform history (sort of) follows -- the idea that a sports teams' identity would change and correspond to a change in leadership (be it coach, manager, or ownership). The Pats were a "Red" team under their original owners; and became a "Blue" team when ownership changed.

In a sense, if they scheduled this specific uniform change to coincide with Brady's departure, and the end of that era; it was well and somewhat traditionally done.

7 minutes ago, jws008 said:

The Pats were a "Red" team under their original owners; and became a "Blue" team when ownership changed.

Kraft didn't own the Patriots when they made the switch to blue unis (blue unis debuted in '93; Kraft bought the team in January '94). The Patriots had a lot of owners when they wore red uniforms. 

1 hour ago, FinsUp1214 said:

I totally get the thought of red being a bit ironic because of redcoats, but I guess it never bothered me much because of some other patriotic themed teams wearing red uniforms at different times too (like the Capitals and 76ers) to the point where it seems like enough of a theme to work. The Capitals I understand are referring to something more broad and not at all pointing of course to the revolutionary period. However, I’ve assumed “76ers” to be basically referencing the same figures that the Patriots are, and they’ve also worn red uniforms off and on. So if the wearing of red really was that big a error for the Patriots, then it maybe should’ve been for the 76ers, too. 

With all that aside (and regardless of team record, too), in a vacuum I’ve always thought the Pat Patriot uniforms were beautiful, most especially the last iteration (with the red road pants) before the Flying Elvis rebrand. Pat needed some work, but the uniform itself was really well done in my opinion. I love all the matching stripes, it was just one of those “satisfying” uniforms in history to me.

1 hour ago, WSU151 said:

51 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

They've also moved to blue as their primary color over red in their last rebrand. 

Wow.  I can't believe I never even made the connection between 'Patriots' and '76ers', and never criticized the Sixers for wearing red like I do the Patriots, but you're (mostly) right.  

I hate the name '76ers', and don't think it's ever been used outside of the basketball team, but it directly references the people that declared their independence and essentially initiated war with the redcoats (who had a very visible presence in colonial America) so red doesn't make any sense for them.  I don't think they ever had a red look that I liked so I'm glad they're in blue anyway, but now I'll never support red for them again no matter what the design.

As for Capitals, I think that's totally different and less important, especially since the DC flag is red and white.Washington was't established as the capital until after the war (though there was the small matter of 1812) so I don't really care either way what scheme they go with.  The blue/black/gold eagle look was my favorite, but the Al Iafrate / Don Beauphre look was sweet too.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived