Patriots Unveil New Uniforms

Wentz2Jeffery

10 hours ago, shaydre1019 said:

I don't really like the Pats uniforms...but i LOVE the white socks. The league needs more white striped socks,

(And less solid colored socks - without the white bottoms...ZERO to be exact)

The league needs more striped socks in general. So does college football. I wish more football teams treated socks as a part of the uniform like hockey does.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Brass said:

For what it's worth, I'm hearing around these parts that the Patriots might have something close to their color rush uniform with the striping. White helmet and a different numbered font to match this updated front from a few years back:

I’ve heard similar but with keeping the silver helmet although nothing about font change.

I dunno...I have to assume that Edelman photoshopping himself onto 1999 Bledsoe was not by accident. He could have posted a photo of him in 80s throwbacks (with a caption like "White helmets? What?"), or he could have photoshopped himself on 1993 Bledsoe or 1994 Bledsoe...or even 80s Tony Eason, if he wanted to preview white helmets in a different way. I'm thinking the silver helmets stick around. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

12 minutes ago, CLEstones said:

Is that true?  Is that a reach?  I feel like that's a reach.

It’s not a reach, there was a prototype logo that the flying Elvis was based on that was a man in tricorn hat with a flag waving behind him. They combined to 2 and made it more abstract.

https://www.sportslogos.net/logos/view/ya8qoagwzweacwl1431mhfsef/New_England_Patriots/1978/Unused_Logo

The Patriots' uniforms have a lot wrong with them, from their terrible logo to the side panels to the general Techno Team 2000 vibe of the font and numbers, but I feel like at this point, they ought to be locked in, terrible as they are. The thought of rebranding the Patriots at this point feels like rebranding the Steelers. I know we've said you can't keep a bad uniform just because you won a championship in it, but five championships, I dunno, maybe you do have to?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 minutes ago, dont care said:

Also wasn’t there a tweet that the changes would be minor, why are we all assuming a full rebrand.

Yeah I think Mike Reiss wouldn't have said subtle if new helmets were coming. 

Oh and I forgot to mention it but the Patriots' United Sans-ish-but-with-thorns wordmark is absolutely terrible, one of the worst in the league. The old cursive one wasn't great, either, but at least it was established, and had a tiny bit of craftsmanship to it.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Kraft didn't own the Patriots when they made the switch to blue unis (blue unis debuted in '93; Kraft bought the team in January '94). The Patriots had a lot of owners when they wore red uniforms. 

OK, red was when the Sullivan family and Victor Kiam owned the Pats. Blue has mostly been Kraft, though James Busch Orthwein was the owner when the change to blue was made. And yes, there were other minority owners in that timespan. I was writing in general terms in my original post.

20 minutes ago, CLEstones said:

Is that true?  Is that a reach?  I feel like that's a reach.

A team called the Patriots having American flag imagery in their logo is a reach?

What do you think that's supposed to be then? 

PvO6ZWJ.png

I can see a regular football reporter thinking a change to color rush centric uniforms being seen as only a minor tweak ...as for the change of helmet color I agree that wouldn’t be minor. This isn’t a rebrand. However if helmet rule changes next year you would have your Pat patriot throwbacks there so no need to change helmet color for this change they are undergoing this year. 

3 minutes ago, Jojopeligreeno said:

I can see a regular football reporter thinking a change to color rush centric uniforms being seen as only a minor tweak ...as for the change of helmet color I agree that wouldn’t be minor. This isn’t a rebrand. However if helmet rule changes next year you would have your Pat patriot throwbacks there so no need to change helmet color for this change they are undergoing this year. 

Well he posted 2 completely different uniforms. So either he doesn’t know what he’s talking about and saw only 2 combos, or the pats are going full cowboys and having completely different uniform for home and away.

3 minutes ago, Jojopeligreeno said:

One was a reporter “Mike Reis”the other guy is a pats fan who became kind of the a pats fan character created his own cult type following “Fitzy”. Fitzy is clued into a lot of Pats stuff but he’s not like us...most aren’t. The details are where we live. 

Which is what I’m saying, he posted 2 completely different uniforms not knowing what he’s talking about and one was colorrush. Technically both were but the away was just all white of the current uniform. I find mike Reis’ description of a subtle change much more than that clowns.

18 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Wasn't the switch to blue a Bill Parcells move, the way the Jets' redesign was? It does represent a change in leadership. 

I think Victor Kiam sold the Patriots to James Busch Orthwein sometime during the 1992 season (Orthwein bought them with an eye towards moving to St. Louis, which is why I stress the Busch family relation). 1993 saw the hiring of Parcells as head coach and the change to blue. I'm not sure back then how long a team took to plan a uniform change; it is possible, even, that the emphasis of blue was an idea coming from the time of Kiam's ownership.

Anyone else have more or better information on this?

3 minutes ago, jws008 said:

I think Victor Kiam sold the Patriots to James Busch Orthwein sometime during the 1992 season (Orthwein bought them with an eye towards moving to St. Louis, which is why I stress the Busch family relation). 1993 saw the hiring of Parcells as head coach and the change to blue. I'm not sure back then how long a team took to plan a uniform change; it is possible, even, that the emphasis of blue was an idea coming from the time of Kiam's ownership.

Anyone else have more or better information on this?

Back then the NFL and sports as a whole didn’t have nearly as much merchandizing now. A team could change over an offseason, or even every other year like the pats did in the early 90’s until the got to the sublimated stripes and huge Elvis set.

28 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Wasn't the switch to blue a Bill Parcells move, the way the Jets' redesign was? It does represent a change in leadership. 

Possibly; Parcells was hired in January of 1993, new logo was unveiled March 31, 1993. 1993 was the first year the Patriots went with Apex unis, I think. 

Archived