Patriots Unveil New Uniforms

Wentz2Jeffery

4 minutes ago, BJ Sands said:

The pants are trash. Why didn’t they fix the striping-width inconsistency?

this is a good point and one small thing I was hoping they would change. Ah well.

6 minutes ago, heavybass said:

And you could of retired the silver too... but nooooo of course not.

Why on earth would they do that? They became the best team of the millennium in that helmet.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, El Scorcho said:

They've ruined these with the standard block font. Terrible decision. Why remove that point of difference? They don't look like the Patriots anymore.

I'd have matched the shoulder stripe on the pants as well.

I don’t understand how they don’t look like the Patriots anymore. Sure silver pants could help their cause but they still look like the Patriots. If we want to simplify the changes in the jersey it’s the font, remove the early 2000s style piping and shoulder details, and add stripes. The helmet is the exact same as before. Most people will still recognize them as the Patriots fairly easily.

image.png

I give these an incomplete as a grade. I think the jerseys have been upgrade on their own, however there is discord between the shoulder stripes and the pants. Personally I would have liked for the more modern pants stripes to become the shoulder loops but that's my opinion. Going with 90's style socks is definitely a good decision although we really needed to avoid the leotard look.

I'm sure silver or white pants will come back at some point. 

I’m definitely taken aback by the loss of TV numbers and the minimal use of silver, likely to justify the silver helmet.  I think silver pants would have made sense.  I agree with whoever said they should swap the colors of the stripes on the white.  

All that said, I am surprised how many consider this a downgrade.  I’m not going to miss the side panels/piping, the one-color shoulder swaths, or the number font.  Despite the missteps, I like the look overall and feel that they are replacing a look that had aged poorly.

Edit: long live standard block! I feel about this the way some of you feel about gray face masks; I am fine with every team using it (except for the Bears).

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I’m surprised by all the pining for a white helmet and the throwback uniforms. Regardless of your opinion of the Patriots, the silver helmet is associated with the greatest years in the franchise’s history. You can argue the quality of the logo (I like it), but I think the silver Flying Elvis helmet has become as recognizable as the Packers or Cowboys helmets. Unless they just fall off the face of the earth, navy, red, and silver are the Patriots colors. I don’t see them going away from that helmet anytime soon.

I get that old things are cool, but let’s face it, Pat Patriot is a crappy helmet logo, red jerseys don’t make a ton of sense for the Pats (insert beating dead horse gif), and frankly, the Patriots flat out sucked for the most part while wearing white helmets

To me this seems like a combination of every era of Patriots football, and for a team that has had so many drastically different looks - it doesn't look good. Those socks are definitely a hearken back to the Bledsoe era, the wide pants stripe stays the same from the Brady Era, and the jersey is a mismatch of AFL/Brady. This could be a very solid clean look if executed properly, but it isn't.

Feels good to see the Patriots screw something up. The silver helmets look silly on top of navy jerseys, pants, and socks. At least the Seahawks go all the way and have the helmet match. Sacrificing useful TV numbers for their ugly primary logo is a terrible move. The silver number outlines get lost against the white on the home uniforms and stick out in a bad way on the roads. Overall, feels like a cash grab to keep the merchandise moving with Brady gone. Should have left their old set alone at this point, warts and all. 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

4 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

I’m definitely taken aback by the loss of TV numbers and thee minimal use of silver, likely to justify the silver helmet.  I think silver pants would have made sense.  I agree with whoever said they should swap the colors of the stripes on the white.  

All that said, I am surprised how many consider this a downgrade.  I’m not going to miss the side panels/piping, the one-color shoulder swaths, or the number font.  Despite the missteps, I like the look overall and feel that they are replacing a look that had aged poorly.

Yep - apparently should isn't mandatory in the Rule Book. My apologies for thinking it was.

It's where I sit.

My biggest issue is the matching navy socks with navy pants on the road set. Why does every team seem to be adopting this? The Patriots and Jets were two of the few teams left who did it the right way before their changes, but now we have all 4 AFC East teams wearing the same color pants as socks with their road looks.

Why not go with white socks with the away set and that weird single stripe at the bottom remains red so that they are not plain white. That would look fine. Or even go with solid red socks rather than this bottom-heavy nonsense.

The silver pants they had would still work with the Color Rush uniform, so I'm not sure why they would scrap them entirely. I never would've expected the Pats to become a strictly-monochrome team in Foxboro, especially after winning six title in navy over silver. This just feels a little off for a number of reasons.

3 minutes ago, FlyingBuckeye7 said:

I don’t understand how they don’t look like the Patriots anymore. Sure silver pants could help their cause but they still look like the Patriots. If we want to simplify the changes in the jersey it’s the font, remove the early 2000s style piping and shoulder details, and add stripes. The helmet is the exact same as before. Most people will still recognize them as the Patriots fairly easily.

The most recognisable thing on the old set was the numbers, home or road. They had a block-like, unique number font that defined that entire set, IMO, along with the silver helmets..

Now they just have a standard block font like 2/3 of the NFL. It's a boring move towards genericism. And for what? The Patriots wore a block font in the 60s, 70s and 80s when every single team did. It was never special to them. They were an entirely forgettable team for the vast, vast majority of that time.

Block for block's sake sucks.

Just now, El Scorcho said:

The most recognisable thing on the old set was the numbers, home or road. They had a block-like, unique number font that defined that entire set, IMO, along with the silver helmets..

To be clear, it was a terrible font, all Y2K team-of-the-fyoo-chore crap. Unfortunately for the rest of us, they actually were the team of the fyoo-chore, and now for better or worse it's a defining part of their brand. They don't really look like the old loser Patriots jerseys that the Color Rush were supposed to be a palette swap of, they're too far gone for that. They look like a generic team in a movie.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

5 minutes ago, 8BW14 said:

I’m surprised by all the pining for a white helmet and the throwback uniforms. Regardless of your opinion of the Patriots, the silver helmet is associated with the greatest years in the franchise’s history. You can argue the quality of the logo (I like it), but I think the silver Flying Elvis helmet has become as recognizable as the Packers or Cowboys helmets. Unless they just fall off the face of the earth, navy, red, and silver are the Patriots colors. I don’t see them going away from that helmet anytime soon.

I get that old things are cool, but let’s face it, Pat Patriot is a crappy helmet logo, red jerseys don’t make a ton of sense for the Pats (insert beating dead horse gif), and frankly, the Patriots flat out sucked for the most part while wearing white helmets

From the end of the story on the Pats' website:

"Several other NFL teams changed their uniforms ahead of the 2020 season, and while there was speculation that the Patriots change might revive the popular red uniforms of previous decades, a current NFL uniform rule makes it impossible to wear the red throwbacks while respecting the integrity of that uniform.

NFL rules state that teams can only use one helmet for the season, and silver helmets have come to represent the modern era of the New England Patriots. A silver helmet with the "Flying Elvis" logo just doesn't work with the red uniforms, which, of course, feature a white helmet with the iconic "Pat Patriot" logo.

Ferron did leave the door open that, if the NFL ever changed the rule to allow more than one helmet per season, the red uniforms could certainly make a comeback as the team's alternate.

'Our primary uniforms in the modern era have been blue and white and they will remain so,' Ferron said. 'We recognize that fans also have an affinity for the red 'throwback' uniform and we hope to incorporate that into our uniform rotation in the future.'"

This is a fascinating conversation. On its own, these uniforms are not perfect, but they're not nearly as bad as the reactions make them seem to be. I mean, the previous Browns and Bucs and the current Titans sets were calamitous and worthy of scorn. By comparison, these are probably in the top half of the league in terms of quality. The trouble is, they're replacing something that, while maybe a bit tired, didn't really need to be changed. Remove it from those circumstances, and I don't think the criticism here would be as harsh. 

But what do I know.

Silver seems to have been reduced to a trim color now, which is unfortunate. I wouldn't have retained a helmet in a trim color as they seem to have done, but....**shrug**

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

Silver pants on the homes are needed, but overall its still an upgrade. 

I don't know if its stockholm syndrome from having the old uniform for 20 years or people have rose tinted goggles from how successful they were in them, but previous set was absolutely awful. 

4 minutes ago, NFLfan10 said:

The silver pants they had would still work with the Color Rush uniform, so I'm not sure why they would scrap them entirely. I never would've expected the Pats to become a strictly-monochrome team in Foxboro, especially after winning six title in navy over silver. This just feels a little off for a number of reasons.

The weird thing is Belichick hated the monochrome unis that were worn in 2002 (when going monochrome was wildly popular). Maybe he changed his mind, or realized his issue was immaterial. 

Green Bay Packers v New England Patriots | Robbins Photography

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived