Patriots Unveil New Uniforms

Wentz2Jeffery

They kinda look like NASCAR numbers too.

How were the stripes made?  

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's interesting about those sublimated stripes is that the Nets did the same thing with their jerseys a couple years later.

spacer.png

I wonder if it was less of an attempt to copy soccer aesthetics and more of a "performance" fabric gimmick that manufacturers were trying to push at the time.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

9 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

It's pretty obvious those Patriots jerseys were inspired by soccer kits, there is no way it wasn't. Even as a little kid I picked up on that. I actually liked that jersey at the time and still kinda do.

13206513%5D&call=url%5Bfile:product.chai

This is my favorite Elvis era patriots jersey. 

9 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

It's pretty obvious those Patriots jerseys were inspired by soccer kits, there is no way it wasn't. Even as a little kid I picked up on that. I actually liked that jersey at the time and still kinda do.

13206513%5D&call=url%5Bfile:product.chai

Best Pat's jersey hands down to me 

Norfolk,VA Philadelphia,PA VMD,(Virginia Maryland DC)

14 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I think he means do you have a source that the american flag strips were the inspiration for the Patriots stripes.  I kinda doubt it myself - I just think they thought it was cool.

nah, that is more credit than i deserve. i was just trying to entertain myself (and others) by being willfully obtuse.

40 minutes ago, Froob said:

Assuming Pat Patriot can’t return, they outta cycle through a few of these 90’s jerseys variations. Start from the first one. What are there, like four?

There were Three. The 1993 set, the 1994 set (worn in 1995 preseason), and the 1995-1999 set.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

da0Lbhs.png

The GUD is usually pretty reliable, but I'm gonna stick my neck out and say that the Pats weren't using Techno Team 2000 nameplate lettering in 1993.

Also, darkening to navy blue probably was the right call in the end for them. The idea should be to match the shade of blue used on the actual American flag, and those 1993-1994 jerseys were probably a little closer to the Bills and Giants than they should have been. 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

31 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Also, darkening to navy blue probably was the right call in the end for them. The idea should be to match the shade of blue used on the actual American flag, and those 1993-1994 jerseys were probably a little closer to the Bills and Giants than they should have been. 

Silver helmets vs. red and blue helmets, and red road numbers vs. blue road numbers were quite a bit different. 

The Bils and Giants were damn near carbon copies of each other. I don't really think the Patriots were that close. The 1994 was the closest, but the 1993 set and 1995-99 were definitely way different. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

8 hours ago, the admiral said:

Were the drop-shadow-italic numbers supposed to evoke soccer? Or was that also just "I dunno, looked cool"? Because I really did like those numbers. They look cool. It's a funny coincidence that the Patriots used them while they were playing footsie with Hartford, and then the Whalers started using those same numbers right after they left Hartford.

I can't recall any soccer teams of note using drop-shadow-italic numbers, I think that was just the wild 90s at work. I didn't know of an official source that they were supposed to look soccer-y with the stripes, just an aesthetic thing I noticed years later when I was older and smarter about these things. It would make sense, Bob Kraft was an early US soccer guy -- got the 94 World Cup in Foxboro, the Revs obviously (though you might think there'd be more Revs/Pats aesthetic crossover in the 90s if that were the case).

The nameplate definitely wasn't the same font as now. I think most of the time it was a single layer version of the same italic typeface as the numbers, as seen in Super Bowl 31. When I was a kid I owned a Terry Glenn jersey (true story!) that I seem to remember had the nameplate set in a sort of condensed black sans-serif typeface ... that may have been me misremembering, or just one of those replica vs authentic differences.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

Brad Muster | Al Golub Photography Archive

(I'd love it if the Saints put the state logo back on the sleeve. Yeah, it's asymmetrical, but I liked it)

Cincinnati Bengals' Worst Seasons Ever | Bleacher Report | Latest ...

25 Years Jubilee: Super Bowl, Flow, Creativity & You! - Leadership ...

I always thought of it as a NOB font used exclusively by Champion...never realized the Saints still use a version of it today (slight differences but the curvy sans-serif letters are similar).

Three players who could make the Saints defense elite in 2019 ...

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

10 hours ago, Lights Out said:

What's interesting about those sublimated stripes is that the Nets did the same thing with their jerseys a couple years later.

I'm not sure, but Nets look more like a mesh holes cut in a fabric than sublimation.

Atlanta had sublimated (at least it look like this) stripes when champion was their provider:

1202420%5D,&call=url%5Bfile:product.chai

But with switch to reebok they received same treatment as Nets:

2002-03-glenn-robinson-atlanta-hawks_1_2

4r2eer.png

5 hours ago, WSU151 said:

I always thought of it as a NOB font used exclusively by Champion...never realized the Saints still use a version of it today (slight differences but the curvy sans-serif letters are similar).

That's the one!

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

43 minutes ago, pepis21 said:

I'm not sure, but Nets look more like a mesh holes cut in a fabric than sublimation.

Atlanta had sublimated (at least it look like this) stripes when champion was their provider:

1202420%5D,&call=url%5Bfile:product.chai

But with switch to reebok they received same treatment as Nets:

2002-03-glenn-robinson-atlanta-hawks_1_2

Such an underrated jersey. If not for the terrible losing seasons, these would be modern classics that the Hawks could still wear.

7 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Brad Muster | Al Golub Photography Archive

(I'd love it if the Saints put the state logo back on the sleeve. Yeah, it's asymmetrical, but I liked it)

Cincinnati Bengals' Worst Seasons Ever | Bleacher Report | Latest ...

Just an aside but even though all three of these photos are between 1991 and 1993, they look like they're from decades ago compared to today's finely tailored and slim fitting uniforms/padding.  

I started watching that era in real time in my teens.  Just don't remember ever thinking how for-lack-of-better-term clumsy teams looked then.

2 hours ago, L10nheart404 said:

Such an underrated jersey. If not for the terrible losing seasons, these would be modern classics that the Hawks could still wear.

They should have just kept them. They haven't done much winning since 1958. 

Archived