Wentz2Jeffery

Patriots Unveil New Uniforms

26 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

The navy facemask looks downright awful...silver or red mask would be 1000000x better.

I've always hated the out-of-place red mask.  If i changed nothing else on the Patriots, I'd get rid of that ugly mask.

4 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I've always hated the out-of-place red mask.  If i changed nothing else on the Patriots, I'd get rid of that ugly mask.

I just think navy would be a worse choice on a navy jersey unless you added helmet stripes. 

Only two teams I can recall that have navy facemask on a silver helmet, and neither have a non-white tertiary color; by getting rid of the red facemask, the red essentially would disappear:

1984: Steve Young Debuts with USFL's LA Express | Nhl highlights ...

Georgetown Football Announces 28-Member Incoming Class ...

53 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

spacer.png

Ooh, ooh--can I play?

Mind you, this was almost ten years ago, but this is what I cooked up for the Patriots back then...looking back I probably should have kept the face cage red:

70a2c28496457.560be74d4789c.png

Zoom in on that and you can see what I had going with the stripe...its both a simplification of and callback to those Elvis-tail stripes from '93, while the shoulder loops evoke the Pat Patriot era of UCLA stripes.

In a way, you could say I ahead of the curve on the guys at the Swoosh. 😁

27 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

spacer.png

To this day I don't understand why they went to that...thing. the cursive script was far superior and much more distinctive. 

13 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

The biggest problem, at least to me, is how the logo is so navy front heavy that it gets compressed into a relative sandwich between the red facemask and the rear of the logo. You want to notice the entire logo. Not just part of it.

Maybe that’s just poor design of the logo.

56 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

I just think navy would be a worse choice on a navy jersey unless you added helmet stripes. 

Only two teams I can recall that have navy facemask on a silver helmet, and neither have a non-white tertiary color; by getting rid of the red facemask, the red essentially would disappear:

1984: Steve Young Debuts with USFL's LA Express | Nhl highlights ...

Georgetown Football Announces 28-Member Incoming Class ...

Wouldn't a navy mask on New England be exactly like New Orleans black mask, Carolina's black mask, Green Bay's green mask, Cleveland's brown mask, Cincinnati's black mask, etc?  All lighter helmets with masks that match the jersey. Do they bug you, too?

1 hour ago, Buc said:

To this day I don't understand why they went to that...thing. the cursive script was far superior and much more distinctive. 

I think the cursive was very dated, and never matched the rest of the navy-era brand particularly well. The newer one was a step in the right direction, but still doesn't quite fit, either. Wouldn't mind if they took another crack at that.

I think the Patriots' helmet with a silver mask looks very plain.

Here's an idea for a "rule" for helmets: a helmet should have either a facemask that is a different color than the shell, or a center stripe. A helmet with no stripe and a facemask the same color as the helmet is too boring.

The Bears and the Texans are the only teams in the NFL that currently have a same-colored facemask and no center stripe, and their helmet is uber-traditional, which the Patriots' isn't. If the Bears' helmet was a new helmet released today, I'm sure it would be considered boring. The Texans' helmet is boring - although they have one of the best logos in the NFL, I don't think anyone classifies them among the great helmets of the NFL.

Even the great plain college football helmets, like Ohio State and Alabama, have center stripes.

48 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Wouldn't a navy mask on New England be exactly like New Orleans black mask, Carolina's black mask, Green Bay's green mask, Cleveland's brown mask, Cincinnati's black mask, etc?  All lighter helmets with masks that match the jersey. Do they bug you, too?

Carolina's helmet looks great with the blue jersey, too, so the mask doesn't necessarily have to match the jersey. 

Green Bay's green doesn't look as good as the gray. 

Cleveland looks better with a white or gray mask.

New Orleans, Cincinnati, Green Bay, and Cleveland have few colors than the Patriots. 

1 minute ago, WSU151 said:

Carolina's helmet looks great with the blue jersey, too, so the mask doesn't necessarily have to match the jersey. 

Green Bay's green doesn't look as good as the gray. 

Cleveland looks better with a white or gray mask.

New Orleans, Cincinnati, Green Bay, and Cleveland have few colors than the Patriots. 

I agree about Cleveland's late gray mask. Sad.

But I'm not sure what the amount of team colors has to do with it. If a navy mask would disappear against the Patriots navy jersey, then the black mask should just as redily disappear against Cincinnati's and New Orleans black jerseys.

I'm not fighting, I'm just trying to see what you're seeing.

9 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I agree about Cleveland's late gray mask. Sad.

But I'm not sure what the amount of team colors has to do with it. If a navy mask would disappear against the Patriots navy jersey, then the black mask should just as redily disappear against Cincinnati's and New Orleans black jerseys.

I'm not fighting, I'm just trying to see what you're seeing.

If the Saints had silver elements in the logo or the numbers, I might not mind a gray mask to tie into it. That third color outside of white matters. The helmets with dark masks and jerseys that look good often have two choices; 1) helmet color or 2) jersey color. Outside of gray, they don't have that third color to choose and provide balance. 

I'm not really of the mind that the facemask must disappear on dark jerseys...so we'll probably never agree. I like facemasks that can tie into other colors effectively, and really don't buy into arbitrary "rules".  99% of the time it's completely based on the individual uniform. 

Would UCLA look better with a blue mask? Would Florida look better with a blue facemask?  Probably not. 

The Cowboys would certainly look worse with a navy or royal mask. 

2 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

spacer.png

This doesn’t exactly help it make more sense. That type style is just anachronistic to what their identity is supposed to represent. The script, flawed as it is, at least evokes *something* colonial (quill writing). I’d much rather see a new take on that with a nice, conservative number/lettering style for the jersey.

spacer.png

All this talk about facemasks, but I'm not hearing much appreciation for white. I always appreciated how it set off home jersey numerals.

Looks to me like the Patriots revamp is a total fail. Not Atlanta fail, but fail anyway. Looks like the helmet logo is larger though, I like that.

16 minutes ago, BroncoBuff said:

spacer.png

All this talk about facemasks, but I'm not hearing much appreciation for white. I always appreciated how it set off home jersey numerals.

Looks to me like the Patriots revamp is a total fail. Not Atlanta fail, but fail anyway. Looks like the helmet logo is larger though, I like that.

Hm? Is there a leak?

4 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

spacer.png

Ok, must've mistaken this for the new look.

4 minutes ago, Maroon&Gold said:

I honestly can't tell if he's trolling or saw a concept and thought it was real

I hope I could troll better than that.

So Maroon and Gold ... you were a Redskin? Seminole? Sun-Devil? 

2 minutes ago, BroncoBuff said:

I hope I could troll better than that.

So Maroon and Gold ... you were a Redskin? Seminole? Sun-Devil? 

Originally Gophers but then I became a Sun Devil by coincidence

4 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

spacer.png

Probably the best mock up I've seen. 

Just a few things;

1. Red Facemask needs to stay

2. Get rid of the star on the shoulders or some old coot in Dallas is going to be pissed

3. I never liked the current font, so not a fan of the numbers. 

894.gif

They never should have changed this font. 

8 minutes ago, Maroon&Gold said:

Originally Gophers but then I became a Sun Devil by coincidence

No kidding, that is a coincidence. If you pay any mind to uniforms anyway. Always really loved the Redskins and Seminoles looks, but that Sun-Devil maroon- that is/was an unnatural shade of maroon ... 🙄

Greg Eslinger - now a chiropractor I think - my favorite example of the difference between college and pro ball.

Yeah, count me as one of the people who hate their current color rush look. I think they need to ditch navy altogether and either return to something that resembles this...

98820183750be3686f1d8f946ccfb549.jpg

Or, for God's sake, just go back to this as the primary look...

Buffalo+Bills+v+New+England+Patriots+ZBI

10122009_cd12pats16-7386249.jpg