Patriots Unveil New Uniforms

Wentz2Jeffery

11 minutes ago, Maroon&Gold said:

They aren't mandatory in high school or college either.

Maybe the NFL is changing the rules and the website isn't updated. It's not like something like that would be newsworthy to most people

They aren't needed in high school as you don't have people as far away (i.e., high up in stands) as you do in the NFL. College? Ought to have them, but college is less TV driven than the NFL. College also allows manufacturer's marks in different locations than the NFL, so the comparison isn't necessarily valid. Likewise the CFL - if they don't require them, that is irrelevant to what the NFL requires.

I know they are called TV numbers, but I use them most when I'm at the game.

It's where I sit.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

How necessary are TV numbers on football jerseys anyways?

For reference, only 5/9 CFL teams have TV numbers on their home/roads.

They're probably no longer necessary but regardless of that? The league apparently mandates them. 

Just now, Maroon&Gold said:

Why are they necessary?

From a fan in the stands perspective, the TV numbers are often more visible in a scrum than the front or back numbers are. I find myself using them as often, in fact.

It's where I sit.

2 minutes ago, Maroon&Gold said:

Why are they necessary?

1 minute ago, Sec19Row53 said:

From a fan in the stands perspective, the TV numbers are often more visible in a scrum than the front or back numbers are. I find myself using them as often, in fact.

I don't get it as a fan in the stands, because the giant numbers on the front and back probably render the TV numbers moot.

They're mostly important now just from a photo perspective.  If there's a still image of a pile, the TV numbers can help identify the players... though in the era of HD and 2,000 mega pixels, it's probably not truly necessary.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

22 hours ago, Dynasty said:

I don't know if it's it and it may be just me, but I think it's because of the jerseys. Outside of the numbers, there isn't any white on the jerseys to compliment the white helmet. They're too navy/red dominant and that makes the white helmet stand out a little more than it needs to. I don't care for the navy helmet, but it goes with the rest of the uniforms better.

I don't think that's quite the case. It's essentially the same with the Dolphins and the previous Titans look.. I think the real issue is they nailed it with the navy helmet, and try as we may to justify white being a better choice, it just isn't.. it can certainly work, but not as well as navy..

Although you can put me in for wanting them to switch to red jerseys at home

1 hour ago, oldschoolvikings said:

IIRC we've had a few posters here who's work involves identifying players from the booth, and they've stated when TV numbers are missing, it's definitely harder.

My big thing about tv numbers is a conspiracy that Nike is tanking them on some designs to push redesigns. Take the Panthers for example. They were originally holdouts- along with the Packers- who stuck to the pre-Nike templates. The tv numbers looked just fine. Then they finally cave and go with the Nike template and suddenly the same design- that had worked just fine since 1995- suddenly seems broken. The pants stripes- which used to taper perfectly- now extend to the ends of the pants in an awkward not quite full stripe design. And the tv numbers went from being a reasonable size to comically small once the Nike template was adopted.

You can kind of see something similar with the Patriots earlier. Where earlier Pats jerseys made by Nike's first template had regular-sized tv numbers. Which have shrunken since a new template was adopted.

Either Nike is shoehorning existing designs onto their templates with no regards for how they look (likely answer) or they're sabotaging designs that other manufactures- and sometimes even themselves- have managed without issue to push teams towards redesigns (IceCap's crazy and totally accurate conspiracy theory).

1 hour ago, IceCap said:

My big thing about tv numbers is a conspiracy that Nike is tanking them on some designs to push redesigns. Take the Panthers for example. They were originally holdouts- along with the Packers- who stuck to the pre-Nike templates. The tv numbers looked just fine. Then they finally cave and go with the Nike template and suddenly the same design- that had worked just fine since 1995- suddenly seems broken. The pants stripes- which used to taper perfectly- now extend to the ends of the pants in an awkward not quite full stripe design. And the tv numbers went from being a reasonable size to comically small once the Nike template was adopted.

You can kind of see something similar with the Patriots earlier. Where earlier Pats jerseys made by Nike's first template had regular-sized tv numbers. Which have shrunken since a new template was adopted.

Either Nike is shoehorning existing designs onto their templates with no regards for how they look (likely answer) or they're sabotaging designs that other manufactures- and sometimes even themselves- have managed without issue to push teams towards redesigns (IceCap's crazy and totally accurate conspiracy theory).

It is so embarrassing. Check how big the swoosh is next to Cam's #1. 

r597260_1296x518_5-2.jpg&w=1256&h=502&sc

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

I go both ways on tv numbers. I don’t think they’re necessary when identifying players on the team I cover because I’m well-versed in what they look like, what gear they wear, etc. If their front or back numbers happen to be covered in one of my photos, I can still figure it out. When it comes to the opposing team, though, I appreciate all of the help I can get. Similarly, I don’t think they’re needed when you’re watching a game on television because of how close you are to the action and how many replays they show, but it can certainly be a challenge to identify a player from any distance in the stands or in the press box. You’re more likely to see or be able to read the numbers on the shoulders or sleeves from that angle, too.

2 hours ago, IceCap said:

My big thing about tv numbers is a conspiracy that Nike is tanking them on some designs to push redesigns. Take the Panthers for example.

Don't forget the gradual steps the Jets uniforms suffered on an annual basis, from the shoulder stripes being cut short to become weird rectangles with triangles cut out of the base, the green gradually turning to a horrible drab army green, followed by every single use of green being mismatched . All of that is well documented in the Jets thread, and ultimately destroyed a popular and classic design into obsolescence.

2 hours ago, Froob said:

Ugh the cross across Brady’s face doesn’t match the sleeve stripes.

I’m no spelling major, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night...what wizard at Nike spelled “SYSTEM” wrong on the pants stripe?

EDIT:

Wait...someone at Nike is trolling NE...sysTOM.  Tom Brady!  Good one!  

7 hours ago, Cujo said:

CLEAN. 👌

I hope this is the route they go.

EVfzBWLXgAEUOke?format=jpg&name=large

EVfzBWMWoAEpMli?format=jpg&name=large

Finally, a uniform that this entire forum can unanimously enjoy! (For real though, that Tom decal made me laugh out loud)

Also, I'm a little late to this party but I don't think I can stop over-analyzing this old/new/borrowed/blue thing. I'd think "new" just means an updated look and "blue" just refers to blue staying as the primary color. As for differentiating the meanings of "something old" and "something borrowed..." I guess "borrowed" would be a direct throwback and "old" would just be an element of the uniform coming back/staying?

4 minutes ago, ahowe6464 said:

Also, I'm a little late to this party but I don't think I can stop over-analyzing this old/new/borrowed/blue thing. I'd think "new" just means an updated look and "blue" just refers to blue staying as the primary color. As for differentiating the meanings of "something old" and "something borrowed..." I guess "borrowed" would be a direct throwback and "old" would just be an element of the uniform coming back/staying?

• "Something blue" I'd bet refers to the Color Rush unis, whether staying as an Alt or Blue/Blue becoming the main home jersey (prefer as alt)

• "Something new" I also interpreted as a white jersey with the Color Rush striping (Blue/Red/Blue)

• "Something old" would make sense as the red throwbacks that we wore from 1960-1993 (B/W/B stripes)

• As for something borrowed, we could see the Bledsoe-era jerseys with the royal blue (as teased by Edelman on social media), or the silver/grey ones we wore in 2006

74d0f3bc1082d257c8413bc806aa2d94.jpg

silver_blue_3.jpg

Archived