Patriots Unveil New Uniforms

Wentz2Jeffery

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

This is a fascinating conversation. On its own, these uniforms are not perfect, but they're not nearly as bad as the reactions make them seem to be. I mean, the previous Browns and Bucs and the current Titans sets were calamitous and worthy of scorn. By comparison, these are probably in the top half of the league in terms of quality. The trouble is, they're replacing something that, while maybe a bit tired, didn't really need to be changed. Remove it from those circumstances, and I don't think the criticism here would be as harsh. 

But what do I know.

The Browns weren't horrific, they just weren't the traditional Cleveland Browns look so of course they were hated. The Tampa uniforms weren't great, but the only thing "calamitous" about them was the font, and the oversized logo.

I thought any update to the Patriots’ look would be better than the last set. I was wrong.
The elements within this uniform are not necessarily poorly designed or bad individual decisions but it feels like the uniforms as a whole were not really considered. There are so many inconsistencies and competing ideas that the entire look comes across as jarring and jumbled. Is red a trim color or a focal point? Is silver or white their light color of choice? Are these a throwback look or a modern look? So many things left unanswered and unexplained. Not a fan but I think they started out with a correct mission: adopt the color rush looks as their main uniform. They just got lost along the way.

I just realized they removed the hold-over Adidas socks from 2000 with the 3 stripes.  I always loved that quirk was still a staple of their away look and i'm sure it just pained Nike to remove that aspect of the uniform or it was likely the first thing pressed to be removed

2 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

The weird thing is Belichick hated the monochrome unis that were worn in 2002 (when going monochrome was wildly popular). Maybe he changed his mind, or realized his issue was immaterial. 

Green Bay Packers v New England Patriots | Robbins Photography

I hate to say it but that looks better than what they unveiled. If you were going all navy then this would be preferable.

5 minutes ago, the admiral said:

To be clear, it was a terrible font, all Y2K team-of-the-fyoo-chore crap. Unfortunately for the rest of us, they actually were the team of the fyoo-chore, and now for better or worse it's a defining part of their brand. They don't really look like the old loser Patriots jerseys that the Color Rush were supposed to be a palette swap of, they're too far gone for that. They look like a generic team in a movie.

No doubt the font wasn't perfect, but they were at least distinctive and were hardly the eyesore that some other 'distinctive' number fonts are.

Now they've just gone for a pretty standard block. Block is fine if you've always had it or if you're harking back to a famous era, but in this case it just makes them look really generic. Genericism sucks. Teams using block without good reason to is lazy and boring.

2 minutes ago, Chromatic said:

The Browns weren't horrific, they just weren't the traditional Cleveland Browns look so of course they were hated. The Tampa uniforms weren't great, but the only thing "calamitous" about them was the font, and the oversized logo.

The orange inserts and yoke were bad too. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

What is surprising to me is the contradictions in the new set:

It seems that there was a big effort to simplify: block numbers instead of a custom font, removing the side panels, keeping the helmet as/is.

But there was also a "modernize" effort: eliminate the shoulder numbers, one set of pants resulting in a mono-navy home set.

I pretty much feel the same way about this set as I did about the last one: meh. Or in a few more words: they're OK; but there's nothing (besides winning) that makes them a top 10 in the league uniform either.

3 minutes ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

I love how the other day we thought TV numbers were mandatory because Cleveland apparently wanted to go without them on their color rush jersey. 

Then we find out through the Patriots that TV numbers aren't mandatory.

To be fair, willmorris did point out that the rulebook uses "should" which does not mean "must", despite what people were claiming earlier.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

3 minutes ago, Chromatic said:

Browns were horrific & not really any redeeming qualities for the Yucs either.

Final thought for a while:

Stripes on the blue jersey should have been red/gray/red, to tie in with the helmet. Gray stripe on the shoulders would have made the white numbers stand out. 

Pants should be gray with red/navy/red stripes (equal width) and pants should be navy with red/gray/red stripes (equal width).

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Just now, hugevolsfan said:

Browns were horrific & not really any redeeming qualities for the Yucs either.

Browns weren't horrific. The shoulder yoke stretched too far onto the chest and the font was a little too modern but there was absolutely nothing "horrific" about those uniforms.

The Browns are just one of those teams that if they increased the width of their socks stripes by 1/64th of an inch people would riot.

4 minutes ago, Chromatic said:

They were ok. Not great but not some eyesore either.

I thought they were.  In fact the number font being so bad kinda hid how totally awful those were.  And bonus points for replacing a modern classic.  I think I'd be hard-pressed to find five bigger downgrades over the time (16 years!) I've been on the boards.  The Bucs had modern classics and they replaced them by telling Nike "Do your worst."  For me, that was a part of the frustration. But even if they'd been an expansion team, everything about those was a mess.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I like the jerseys enough, but the monochrome look shouldn't be primary.  Whatever.  Everybody just do whatever the hell they want.  Nothing matters.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

3 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Final thought for a while:

Stripes on the blue jersey should have been red/gray (or silver)/red, to tie in with the helmet. Gray on the shoulders would have made the white numbers stand out. 

This is probably the best take I’ve actually seen on this board today.

image.png

1 minute ago, CherryMX said:

I like the jerseys enough, but the monochrome look shouldn't be primary.  Whatever.  Everybody just do whatever the hell they want.  Nothing matters.

Enjoy Arby’s. 

1 minute ago, OnWis97 said:

I thought they were.  In fact the number font being so bad kinda hid how totally awful those were.  And bonus points for replacing a modern classic.  I think I'd be hard-pressed to find five bigger downgrades over the time (16 years!) I've been on the boards.

What was so particularly grotesque about that uniform aside from the font and obnoxious logo size.

Again, I don't think they're great, but there's nothing about them I find particularly obscene.

Archived