Patriots Unveil New Uniforms

Wentz2Jeffery

14 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

The weird thing is Belichick hated the monochrome unis that were worn in 2002 (when going monochrome was wildly popular). Maybe he changed his mind, or realized his issue was immaterial. 

Green Bay Packers v New England Patriots | Robbins Photography

Those are much worse. Too bland.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Final thought for a while:

Stripes on the blue jersey should have been red/gray (or silver)/red, to tie in with the helmet. Gray stripe on the shoulders would have made the white numbers stand out. 

Hmm somebody should do a concept of this.

5 minutes ago, Chromatic said:

Browns weren't horrific. The shoulder yoke stretched too far onto the chest and the font was a little too modern but there was absolutely nothing "horrific" about those uniforms.

The Browns are just one of those teams that if they increased the width of their socks stripes by 1/64th of an inch people would riot.

Obviously we are not going to agree but all of the changes on the Browns uniforms were an eyesore & the same with Bucs. They were no changes about either look that I would say looked like a good uniform.

Meh, they're ok I guess. 

Only real complaint is that they got rid of the silver pants. 

Would have been better to go to a white helmet in that case. If you get rid of the thick white outline (which I've always hated) around the flying elvis, it really wouldn't look that bad. 

Plus yeah, they could use the red "Pat Patriot" throw backs. 

Guess this also means we wont see any kind of throwback to the royal blue "Bledsoe" era unis unfortunately. 

I've never been a fan of the Patriots uniforms since the 2000's design, but this new for 2020 set is a solid downgrade.

I get the move for simplification (which when done well, is great), but the clunky number font with inconsistencies is weird.  The mono blue is a bad choice, despite it being what the Color Rush alts were previously.

Maybe we can hope silver pants can come quickly, much like the Browns have said they'll work to have an orange set for 2020.

This is a legitimate question and isn’t meant to be snarky...

How is it that the Browns can return to a traditional look and its immediately loved, but the Patriots did it and its seemingly unanimously hated?

Is it just not what you were expecting or had hoped for?

17 minutes ago, El Scorcho said:

No doubt the font wasn't perfect, but they were at least distinctive and were hardly the eyesore that some other 'distinctive' number fonts are.

Now they've just gone for a pretty standard block. Block is fine if you've always had it or if you're harking back to a famous era, but in this case it just makes them look really generic. Genericism sucks. Teams using block without good reason to is lazy and boring.

This is one of the reasons I don't see anything here as an "upgrade" so far. By basically taking the existing Color Rush unis and promoting them wholesale to primary, but changing the numeral font to an off-the-rack block, the new look now calls to mind "your local high school/FCS team does their best to dress like the New England Patriots, presented by Russell Athletic's stock catalog options."

No silver pants is a mistake. The color distribution is off on the road jersey. Dumping shoulder numbers irks me. And they still haven't figured out that if they want 3-color numbers on the home jersey, it should be white-red-silver, so the three colors can be distinguished from each other at a distance. Nothing about this is really any better than what they had, and not much of it is different enough to alert the casual fan that this is a new look. So why bother?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

2 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

How is it that the Browns can return to a traditional look and its immediately loved, but the Patriots did it and its seemingly unanimously hated?

Because people here want to complain and find faults.

Same reason we go from "nobody should have a unique number font, they all look terrible" one week to "why did the patriots go with that awful generic font"

The old uniforms were a mess and just about anything would have been an upgrade, so I'm confused by the reaction here.  People on this board complaining about a team changing to a "boring block font" confirms people will complain about just about anything.

IUe6Hvh.png

8 minutes ago, speedy said:

They got blown out by the Packers at home and never wore them again.

They wore them two weeks after the Packers game, against the Broncos, and lost again.

Patriots To Unveil 'Color Rush' Uniforms For Week 3 Game Tuesday ...

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

5 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

Becuase one is executed very well with attention to detail, while the other looks like a mailed-in order from a high school

1 minute ago, WSU151 said:

They wore them two weeks after the Packers game, against the Broncos, and lost again.

Patriots To Unveil 'Color Rush' Uniforms For Week 3 Game Tuesday ...

So that was the death knell. A bit of revisionists history as a Packers fan I suppose. 

8 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

Because there are flaws in this new "traditional" look. The pants stripes are terrible when combined with the shoulder stripes. The numbers probably oughta have one outline, not two. The shoulder stripes on the road jersey seem to clash with the numbers (they're not awful, but perhaps they could be improved). 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived