Patriots Unveil New Uniforms

Wentz2Jeffery

Giving this one a 7/10: 

• Wish the stripe on the pants was more similar to the shoulder stripes for symmetry purposes
  • Looks like they created a blend of their old font + a standard block, but I probably would have just carried over the last number font. 
  • Was hoping they'd release more options (red third jersey, white & silver pants)
  • Yoga pants womp womp womp 

Overall, appears to be an upgrade.  Holding out final judgement until we see them in action.  

...41-33. 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, WSU151 said:

Because there are flaws in this new "traditional" look. The pants stripes are terrible when combined with the shoulder stripes. The numbers probably oughta have one outline, not two. The shoulder stripes on the road jersey seem to clash with the numbers (they're not awful, but perhaps they could be improved). 

No one is saying its flawless. Just blown away that there are people calling this a massive downgrade over the absolute hotmess that was their last uniform. It was basically a case study in bad 00s design tropes.

52 minutes ago, Digby said:

The culture on this board has a weird sort of over-correction where anything “flames emoji” is trash but any given team’s mid-80s look is considered its default best look. 

That’s my biggest problem with the boards. Everything old is good and any new design must be old-fashioned/a modernization for it to have even the slightest chance of the majority liking it. If you even try to voice approval of modern designs or design trends, you’re “put in your place” by the majority.

Overall, it’s lateral. They exchanged old problems for new ones, producing a blasé look. I expect we’ll see different pants options at some point and maybe a Bledsoe-era throwback, but as of now, it’s a very “whatever” design.

10 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

This is a legitimate question and isn’t meant to be snarky...

How is it that the Browns can return to a traditional look and its immediately loved, but the Patriots did it and its seemingly unanimously hated?

Is it just not what you were expecting or had hoped for?

For me its just change for the sake of change. I never did not like the Super Bowl set although it was never one of my favorites. I look at this I do not see traditional because of the mono navy & striping on the pants. Its combining several eras in a jumbled mess which does not work.

Here are the only two combos possible now for the Patriots
Dark
dF9u0Y5.jpg
Light

3PUi4nb.jpg
So the documentation I have access to shows the pants with more traditional brashier stripping but the pictures from the release show the stripping from the previous color rush set.  This just help illustrate the inconsistency between the documentation the league provides and what is actually produced. Maybe know people will better understand why inaccurate things are produced in things like Madden. If the NFL provides information to EA that is not accurate you can't always fault them for having things off in the game.

I am also waiting to see the the League has changed their stance on the TV numbers. I have a few emails out to those I know and am waiting for a response.

2 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

That’s my biggest problem with the boards. Everything old is good and any new design must be old-fashioned/a modernization for it to have even the slightest chance of the majority liking it. If you even try to voice approval of modern designs or design trends, you’re “put in your place” by the majority.

Overall, it’s lateral. They exchanged old problems for new ones, producing a blasé look. I expect we’ll see different pants options at some point and maybe a Bledsoe-era throwback, but as of now, it’s a very “whatever” design.

Well stated. To use the Mitch Hedberg standard ("They either loved us or they hated us or they thought we were ok"), I think this qualifies as ok.

2 minutes ago, plastictaxicab said:

Minor revision, making the pants and shoulder stripes silver. Feels way better than the mono-blue. 

spacer.png

Love this. Imagine the pants having red/navy/red stripes, all equal width. Would be phenomenal. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

8 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

I do not see this happening here as this is a old fashioned design & most are not liking it. I am not calling it trash because I know what trash is & Cleveland, Tampa Bay, & Jacksonville before all threw it out.

I think this comment on the Lukas blog post today gets to the root of my issues with it:

This is the most barebones uniform unveiling I can remember. There’s one set of pants. One set of socks. No mix-and-matching. No throwbacks. No alternates. 

Just two jerseys, pants, and socks. That’s all.

spacer.png

These are so underwhelming they make the Patriots previous flawed uniforms look better than middle of the pack. Just carrying over the color rush without changing anything but the socks and numbers when the pants stripe was clashing shows clearly that these weren’t really thought all the way through. Going monochrome full time at home is a huge mistake. The adidas stripes on the  away uniform weren’t good, but at least they were clashing socks. I really liked the color hierarchy of the previous uniform, where red was never more than the third most present color on any of the fabric parts of the uniforms, and silver was prominent on the home. Now red is the secondary on the home jersey, a trim color on the pants, and looks like the primary on the away jersey. These are a mess. Just removing the side panels and wearing these pants with the away jersey, maybe including a little bit of red trim on the collar where the navy portion is would have been a great update on what for better or worse was the uniform of the best team of the past 20 years. At the very least, they should have put silver in the striping shoulder pattern, maybe going silver-red-silver instead of red-white-red

07Giants.pngnyy.png

1 minute ago, RedSox44 said:

I think this comment on the Lukas blog post today gets to the root of my issues with it: 

This is the most barebones uniform unveiling I can remember. There’s one set of pants. One set of socks. No mix-and-matching. No throwbacks. No alternates. 

Just two jerseys, pants, and socks. That’s all.

Yeah I just woke up and had to read through like 5 pages of this thread to understand that. Are they just going to unveil an alternate, color rush and the Bledsoe throwbacks latter?

Excellent!

4 minutes ago, hugevolsfan said:

I do not see this happening here as this is a old fashioned design & most are not liking it. I am not calling it trash because I know what trash is & Cleveland, Tampa Bay, & Jacksonville before all threw it out.

Well, that’s because of the “modern” touches (monochrome, no TV numbers, etc.). If it had silver pants and TV numbers, I’m sure the boards would be loving them.

6 minutes ago, Krz said:

Yeah I just woke up and had to read through like 5 pages of this thread to understand that. Are they just going to unveil an alternate, color rush and the Bledsoe throwbacks latter?

Apparently the Bledsoe throwbacks aren’t happening — a tweet from the Pats Pro Shop said that the 95-99 jerseys are for retail only in 2020.

EDIT: source

spacer.png

spacer.png

Just now, SFGiants58 said:

Well, that’s because of the “modern” touches (monochrome, no TV numbers, etc.). If it had silver pants and TV numbers, I’m sure the boards would be loving them.

Doubtful, if people are hating on the traditional number font.

1 minute ago, SFGiants58 said:

I still would not love them but would be an slight upgrade. I think I actually would love the Super Bowl set striping on the shoulders outlined in red on home but I would need to see it mocked up to know for sure. I am not a huge fan of them going with the cut off stripes in general. The piping is really all I did not like in the last set.

Archived