Patriots Unveil New Uniforms

Wentz2Jeffery

My Pats-fan-biased & hyper-critical first reactions:

Things I love: 
-Overall design which keeps the now-iconic colors and logo
-I’m actually finding myself liking the updated number font as a kind of a middle ground between the old block font and what they’ve been wearing for the last 20 years 
-Sock design is a nod to the 90’s and they’re now consistent (no adidas socks!!)
-No TV numbers (we all know they would’ve been tiny)

Things that are just alright:
-Silver helmet, not terrible but at this point it’s also an iconic part of the look
-Monochromatic home uniform is also not the end of the world, but not having a pair of white or silver pants at all is a BIG miss
-Double outlines on the numbers... did those really ~need~ to stay?

Things that are bad/missing:
-Silver or white pants. Not even as an alternative option?
-No alternate is disappointing but I’m sure that eventually we’ll see either a 1990’s throwback, a red throwback next year, or a red alternate jersey

-The pants and the jersey stripes don’t match in thickness, a glaring issue on the CR which I was hoping they would fix. 

All in all, though, I’m a fan. Nothing flashy, nothing too obnoxious, not as good as it had the potential to be, but still a solid look. 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Chromatic said:

Doubtful, if people are hating on the traditional number font.

Well, it’s seen as a downgrade because the Patriots have had semi/non-traditional fonts since the mid-‘90s. A fully traditional font is a change, one that the board doesn’t like because it breaks with the team’s recent history.

7 minutes ago, Krz said:

Yeah I just woke up and had to read through like 5 pages of this thread to understand that. Are they just going to unveil an alternate, color rush and the Bledsoe throwbacks latter?

Not from anything I have seen. No Color Rush, throwback or Alternate will be released in 2020.

Just now, SFGiants58 said:

Well, it’s seen as a downgrade because the Patriots have had semi/non-traditional fonts since the mid-‘90s. A fully traditional font is a change, one that the board doesn’t like because it breaks with the team’s recent history.

You can say that about any change. That doesn't make it consistent.

1 minute ago, ahowe6464 said:

-Sock design is a nod to the 90’s and they’re now consistent (no adidas socks!!)

How many fans are like "ah yes, a nod to the Drew Bledsoe socks"?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Just now, canzman said:

Not from anything I have seen. No Color Rush, throwback or Alternate will be released in 2020.

Was really hoping for late 90s throwbacks...ugh.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Just now, Chromatic said:

You can say that about any change. That doesn't make it consistent.

Fair, but you have to notice the trend I talked about in my initial post. It might not fully apply here, but it definitely applies to damn-near every unveiling on the boards. It’s codified into board culture so thoroughly at this point. 

43 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

This is a legitimate question and isn’t meant to be snarky...

How is it that the Browns can return to a traditional look and its immediately loved, but the Patriots did it and its seemingly unanimously hated?

Is it just not what you were expecting or had hoped for?

Monochrome

One thing to keep in mind with all these new releases and honestly with any team... teams can change and add pants and socks at any time. The NFL does not sell or make any money off socks and pants so teams are free to add or change those at any time.

1 minute ago, canzman said:

One thing to keep in mind with all these new releases and honestly with any team... teams can change and add pants and socks at any time. The NFL does not sell or make any money off socks and pants so teams are free to add or change those at any time.

Here’s hoping. 

6 minutes ago, Unwind said:

Fixed the pants. How difficult was this? (Quick Photoshop using a trackpad, excuse the relative messiness.)

spacer.png

The picture on the right is great. 

I don't like the lack of blue on the left.  I think I'd rather see blue in the middle even if it doesn't match the shoulder one-for-one.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

38 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

That’s my biggest problem with the boards. Everything old is good and any new design must be old-fashioned/a modernization for it to have even the slightest chance of the majority liking it. If you even try to voice approval of modern designs or design trends, you’re “put in your place” by the majority.

Don't you think it's a little unfair to paint the entire community with such a broad brush? There's a reason that the blue pinstriped suit has been around forever. There's also a reason why you probably aren't wearing a 70's leisure suit or 80's parachute pants right now. Today's "fire" is often tomorrow's punchline. Point being, it isn't entirely about old is good and new is bad. It's about people not signing on for tomorrow's punchline today. In other words, the blue pinstriped suit is always going to work. We know what happened to leisure suits and parachute pants.

FWIW, there are quite a few modern designs that I really like and there are quite a few "old-fashioned" designs that I really don't like. What matters most to me is whether or not I think a uniform looks good. Period. This community disagrees with me all the time. I don't care and I never take it personally. 

BB52Big.jpg

Are the Patriots technically the first team to roll over their CR into an entirely new set?

I’d say the Browns and Colts, but all Cleveland did was roll ever the CR pants and Indianapolis almost got there if they used the CR blue and blue pants.

Mono blue sucks.  The rest of the uniform is a stunning upgrade.  Especially the shoulder stripes and number font.   The socks are amazing as well.

The new home jersey is the best jersey the Patriots have ever worn.  Hands down, not even a question.  And I've been wanting them to bring back the classic reds.

Archived