Cons : no silver or white pants

No alternate red jersey 

7/10 maybe 8.....imo

tigersallstars092.png

steelcurtain.png

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I sincerely can't decide if Belichick is a "I don't care if we wear paper bags, as long as we go out and win" guy or a "the shade of navy is slightly off between the shirt and the socks and this needs to be fixed by tomorrow morning" guy.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

44 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

Don't you think it's a little unfair to paint the entire community with such a broad brush? There's a reason that the blue pinstriped suit has been around forever. There's also a reason why you probably aren't wearing a 70's leisure suit or 80's parachute pants right now. Today's "fire" is often tomorrow's punchline. Point being, it isn't entirely about old is good and new is bad. It's about people not signing on for tomorrow's punchline today. In other words, the blue pinstriped suit is always going to work. We know what happened to leisure suits and parachute pants.

FWIW, there are quite a few modern designs that I really like and there are quite a few "old-fashioned" designs that I really don't like. What matters most to me is whether or not I think a uniform looks good. Period. This community disagrees with me all the time. I don't care and I never take it personally. 

This times a thousand

1 minute ago, MCM0313 said:

Guarantee you the hoodie hates the very existence of alternates. 

Admittedly, I’m not a Pats fan, but I see pretty much any sock striping on any team as a good thing. 

I'm curious what their thought process was on why they made this change at all. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

1 minute ago, MCM0313 said:

Admittedly, I’m not a Pats fan, but I see pretty much any sock striping on any team as a good thing. 

Yep. The striped socks are the only thing I like. The stripe means they can't go monosock like teams do now. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

1 minute ago, Digby said:

I sincerely can't decide if Belichick is a "I don't care if we wear paper bags, as long as we go out and win" guy or a "the shade of navy is slightly off between the shirt and the socks and this needs to be fixed by tomorrow morning" guy.

I think he has tastes just like all of us...he just won't go out of his way to tell anyone about them. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

3 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

The difference between us, I suppose, is I'm not interested in screaming at the ocean. Especially when I'm wrong. B) 

This is exactly what I’m talking about. When you like a modern look, it feels

like you’re fighting an uphill battle here. “Esteemed” members and mods will mock and belittle you, try to make you put to be a “swooshketeer” or a dunderhead. Look at how we treat BMA and Andrew Harrington, or anybody who has worked in the industry and tries to provide reasonings and advocate for the modern designs. This is not a good development. 

I suppose I’m just screaming into nothingness and clawing at a brick wall, but I felt like I needed to put it out there. Get it off my chest so that some of the traditionalists can reflect on their attitudes. Ultimately, I think @hockey week had a damn good point when he wrote:

The only exception to the "it went from one of the best logos to the worst logos!" is when a team brings back an old look. 

Ducks, Blue Jays, Blues, Leafs...think of what everyone says they want from the Panthers, for crying out loud. Nostalgia is what we want, anything new is the worst thing ever.

Instead of the big resounding "meh" this logo probably should be getting, we're seeing people act like their limbs were hacked off and eaten by this panther. And just when people are trying to say "hey, the Stars didn't do so badly", we get people saying "How can you say that? It's awful!" which only helps my point. Not mediocre, not "not what I wanted", just terrible terrible terrible.

It’s something to ponder.

1 hour ago, SFGiants58 said:

You guys have your opinions which are entirely yours. I’m not trying to dismiss it at all. 

Let’s look at those reveal threads, shall we? The Bucs went back to their old look, to a great reception. The Browns went back to mostly their old look, to a great reception. The Falcons reveal something modern, and its hated by many. The Patriots reveal a modern take on a semi-classic design, and its mixed reception.

If anybody says their fine with or like monochrome, they get blasted. If they like things like the Nike Dolphins, Jets, or Seahawks, they get blasted. Disagreements are fine, but it’s to the point where if any uniform deviates from it, a big subsection of the board will persecute those who like it. 

Who knows, maybe monochrome is on its way to being blue pinstripe suit-ed. 

You know, hockey week was right when he said this:

Context. I’m just venting at this point, but I think it’s important to get it out there. Please be more tolerant of modern looks and the people who like them.

First bold: I don't think I've ever really seen anyone get "blasted" for this.  I have staunchly preferred the new Dolphins logo and nobody's ever given me crap.   What I think I'm seeing here is a lot of people with tastes that trend traditional and that bringing out the frustration of people liking, say the Falcons uniform, and then venting about how we always hate what they like.  That's the "blasting" I see (though it's general and not aimed at anyone in particular, so I don't think it's anything more than a minor annoyance).

Second bold: People don't need to be more tolerant of modern looks if they don't want to (though I do think most of us like some modern looks).  If they are actually intolerant of those that like them, then yes, they should be.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

4 minutes ago, Pizzaman7294 said:

I'm curious what their thought process was on why they made this change at all. 

My guess would be Bill had a feeling Tom wouldn’t be there anymore after his contract ran out, and he notified Nike of an intention to change in 2020 and left the rest to the creative team. He’s a chessmaster. 

22 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

The Falcons reveal something modern, and its hated by many. The Patriots reveal a modern take on a semi-classic design, and its mixed reception.

If anybody says their fine with or like monochrome, they get blasted. If they like things like the Nike Dolphins, Jets, or Seahawks, they get blasted. Disagreements are fine, but it’s to the point where if any uniform deviates from it, a big subsection of the board will persecute those who like it. 

People don't hate the Falcons new look because it's modern. They hate it because it's ugly. The Pats are half pregnant and they're getting a half pregnant response. 

"Persecute?" Seriously? One of us is being a little melodramatic and for once, it isn't me. 

BB52Big.jpg

53 minutes ago, canzman said:

One thing to keep in mind with all these new releases and honestly with any team... teams can change and add pants and socks at any time. The NFL does not sell or make any money off socks and pants so teams are free to add or change those at any time.

This, which is why I don't mind these too much. The jerseys themselves are already an upgrade since they ditched the ugly shoulder stripe and side paneling. I will say the new shoulder stripe compliments the face mask really well

I'm indifferent towards the block font. I don't think the transition really takes anything away from the uniform

However, they also kept the double-outline numbers and no silver pants is a travesty. Hopefully they go back and fix this next year because mono-blue will get stale quick. That's the hope I'm going to have here...

37 minutes ago, VDizzle12 said:

This is how I feel coming here after every unveil.

giphy.gif

I usually feel good about all of these upgrades and then come here and it's getting torn apart. If not torn apart it gets a "Well they are so close but man did they really screw it up by adding [blank]. Good job Nike. This is horrible. Downgrade".

I get it. As designers, sports fans and "uniform fans" we all have individual ideas in our head about what teams should look like. Just because it isn't what we wanted, doesn't mean it's trash or the worst thing to ever happen in the world. Out of all the redesigns, so far, every team has upgraded.

First off, binge watching Community for the first time right now and just watched this episode. This show is great, and the GIF is 10x funnier knowing the context. 

Secondly, I agree with the finally paragraph until the last sentence. I do feel like at the end of the day, it's possible that people expect certain seemingly easy upgrades yet are fruitlessly disappointed when designers take their uniforms in another direction. Redesigns are never going to satisfy everyone.

This being said, I don't think you can say every team has upgraded. There are some pseudo-modern approaches, such as the Lions or even the Seahawks in my opinion, that are definite or light upgrades. Honestly, the Dolphins total package now is much better than their older uniforms (even if I do miss the dolphin in the helmet a bit). But a majority of the modern stuff Nike has put out seems new just to be new. The Jaguars gradient helmet, for example, was a failure. The Tampa Bay alarm clock numbers were a failure. The Browns pants stripe was a failure. These little details do make a world of difference in the cohesion of the uniform. 

There are creative striping methods and unique color palettes team could use to create new modern looks that still work and could work years down the line. The problem sometimes the overtly flashy and gaudy isn't the best approach. 

4 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

“Esteemed” members and mods will mock and belittle you,

And some mods are just joking around. That's why they use this silly thing all the time. B) Anyway, show me some posts where you were "mocked and belittled." If it's as bad as you're saying, we'll take the appropriate action. 

BB52Big.jpg

3 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

My guess would be Bill had a feeling Tom wouldn’t be there anymore after his contract ran out, and he notified Nike of an intention to change in 2020 and left the rest to the creative team. He’s a chessmaster. 

Bill doesn't strike me as a guy who thinks much about the uniforms. 

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

19 minutes ago, Krudler said:

- The New number font is subtler and looks way classier

- Love the shoulder stripes, as opposed to the silver and blue pieces of fabric on the shoulders.

- Love the look of the road set with the white jersey and blue pants.

- Bye bye side panels

Dislike

- Monochrome on the home set, get some grey or white pants going

- I wish the striping on the pants was consistent with the shoulder stripes on the home set.

- I wish the logo wasn't underneath the wordmark above the front numbers.

Oh, and I love the nod to the 90s socks.

These are so close to being the perfect look for the Patriots, in my opinion. The lack of silver pants, width of the stripes on the pants and the colors of the stripes on the road jersey (I’d flip them) hold the look back. 

I’d also love to see a red alternate without the seemingly required white helmet and pants, but I understand why they’d wait. 

Yeah, I guess that I’ve got a bit crazy. I apologize to anybody who found my statements offensive, dismissive, or rude in any way.

I happen to think that the Seahawks’ uniform is a top-ten design, especially in monochrome. I like the Lions’ custom font and the Dolphins’s “cruise line” logo, as well as the Jets’ new design. I don’t mind the full sock design. Mix-and-match is fine. If you think that makes me a “swooshketeer” or makes my opinion less valid, feel free to think that.

Once again, I apologize for this long-winded rant that likely offended some people. I hope I can redeem myself in your eyes. 

Archived