Wentz2Jeffery

Patriots Unveil New Uniforms

39 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

You guys have your opinions which are entirely yours. I’m not trying to dismiss it at all. 

Let’s look at those reveal threads, shall we? The Bucs went back to their old look, to a great reception. The Browns went back to mostly their old look, to a great reception. The Falcons reveal something modern, and its hated by many. The Patriots reveal a modern take on a semi-classic design, and its mixed reception.

If anybody says their fine with or like monochrome, they get blasted. If they like things like the Nike Dolphins, Jets, or Seahawks, they get blasted. Disagreements are fine, but it’s to the point where if any uniform deviates from it, a big subsection of the board will persecute those who like it. 

Who knows, maybe monochrome is on its way to being blue pinstripe suit-ed. 

You know, hockey week was right when he said this:

Context. I’m just venting at this point, but I think it’s important to get it out there. Please be more tolerant of modern looks and the people who like them.

If you like them its fine but I have not seen anybody get persecuted for liking monochrome looks. It may be something we might want to try. However we will have to do it when social distancing is not a thing because right now we cannot flog you and that is the best part of persecuting. On a serious note I feel you are just unhappy most people do not agree with you on uniforms.

If you like modern uniforms most of the time the vast majority here will not like them not because they are not old but because they are not designed well.

I tend to fall in the "lateral move" camp here, as I think the Patriots traded out one set of issues (early 00's piping/side pannel nightmares) for some oddities (silver helmet being the only real silver present) and monochrome (which I think can look good as a one-off uniform and rarely used alternate, but I don't particularly like as a full-time getup, and am getting disappointed at how much of the league is going this direction).  It's not a bad uniform in that there isn't any egregiously bad element to them (Jag's "gradient" helmet, Bucs digital clock font...) but it's enough for me that's it's not an appealing uniform either.  Silver pants as the home primary, for example, bump this up probably an entire standard deviation.  A better away sock option would help that uniform a lot too, which I think, despite the dreaded "leotard" look, is the better option of the two right now.  

As it pertains to the Red Pat-the-Patriots 80's threads...I think they're the best look aesthetically.  I like the white lid with the red uniform, I like the Pat-the-Patriot logo.  With that said, I also grew up far more a "90's kid", so the futility of the team in those uniforms is a bit lost on me.  The strangeness of a "Patriot" team wearing "Redcoat" colors, is also a bit off brand-wise.  So while I think aesthetically the 80's uniforms look better, I understand why people would prefer the Navy/Silver combo.  I'd just prefer the team to do a bit better job with the uniform color balance top-to-bottom and clean up some of the oddities.  

36 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Please be more tolerant of modern looks and the people who like them.

That first part?  Nah.  Don't need to.

The second?  Absolutely.  This should never be about our fellow posters.  We can criticize opinions all we want, but so long as everyone is in line with the terms of service, criticizing other people is out of bounds.

2 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

Browns asked for no TV numbers on their alternate and were told no but the Patriots two main jerseys won't have them. What the hell is going on?

Goodell is making up to kraft for suspending his adopted son a few years ago 

39 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

This is exactly what I’m talking about. When you like a modern look, it feels

like you’re fighting an uphill battle here. “Esteemed” members and mods will mock and belittle you, try to make you put to be a “swooshketeer” or a dunderhead. Look at how we treat BMA and Andrew Harrington, or anybody who has worked in the industry and tries to provide reasonings and advocate for the modern designs. This is not a good development. 

You're getting pushback on this, but you're right.

I am not trying to invalidate the traditionalist viewpoints by any means, but in my experience this is the perspective that is exceedingly popular amongst the board's regulars/veterans, and they often gang up on others who disagree whether it be intentional or not. Even something as simple as conceding the occasional point would make the conversations here so much more open, but that's extremely rare in my experience and it makes discussion not even feel worth the effort. Hell, it's noticeable enough to me that I often find myself going to bat for modern designs simply to try and avoid this website from feeling like a Groundhog Day version of opinions and discussion. Believe me, I don't bow down to everything SWOOSH™ 😎

This board feels more like a sports standardization board than a sports aesthetics board a lot of the time. It didn't always feel like that. I don't think that merely suggesting that vibe being present is such a crime. That's just my opinion though.

22 minutes ago, Sport said:

Each piece of the uniform looks like it was designed by a different person who had no contact with the other designers. I hate this.

This. These uniforms are bad because there's no visual theme connecting everything.

Plus the color balance is terrible. Heavy on the silver up top, but it isn't seen anywhere else (I know there's a thin silver outline on the numbers, it doesn't do anything to help). Heavy on the red on the stripes, they should have been inverted on both jerseys.

There's just no balance here at all. They're visually unsettling.

20 minutes ago, bowld said:

Going to be a long 5 years

They don't have to wait 5 years to fix the pants, which are the only problem with this new set.  :P

5 minutes ago, hugevolsfan said:

On a serious note I feel you are just unhappy most people do not agree with you on uniforms.

If you like modern uniforms most of the time the vast majority here will not like them not because they are not old but because they are not designed well.

First part; no, not really. I just find it frustrating to see it happen to others.

Second part: I disagree, but respect where you’re coming from. I happen to agree that the Patriots’s new look is very disjointed, but I find that I like it as much as the old “meh” design.

8 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Yeah, I guess that I’ve got a bit crazy. I apologize to anybody who found my statements offensive, dismissive, or rude in any way.

I happen to think that the Seahawks’ uniform is a top-ten design, especially in monochrome. I like the Lions’ custom font and the Dolphins’s “cruise line” logo, as well as the Jets’ new design. I don’t mind the full sock design. Mix-and-match is fine. If you think that makes me a “swooshketeer” or makes my opinion less valid, feel free to think that.

Once again, I apologize for this long-winded rant that likely offended some people. I hope I can redeem myself in your eyes. 

We all of us have unpopular opinions from time to time.  If people can put up with me hating the new Brewers uniforms, or wanting the Packers to change their colors, I can certainly give you the space to freely express yourself.  :D 

I disagree all the time, but the only opinions I think less valid are the ones that seem deliberately chosen to troll, or that can't be defended.  You're good.  

20 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

This is exactly what I’m talking about. When you like a modern look, it feels like you’re fighting an uphill battle here. “Esteemed” members and mods will mock and belittle you, try to make you put to be a “swooshketeer” or a dunderhead. Look at how we treat BMA and Andrew Harrington, or anybody who has worked in the industry and tries to provide reasonings and advocate for the modern designs. This is not a good development.

The "treatment" is often much more of a two-way street than simply providing reasoning, though.

I kind of don't hate the idea of Silver helmets being the only Silver in the uniform as kind of unique thing that distinguishes their identity, I just wish the pants were white instead of blue.

Sooner eventually...the owners will order the NFL to change the grace period for uniform changes from 5 years to maybe 3 or 4 

1 minute ago, the admiral said:

The "treatment" is often much more of a two-way street than simply providing reasoning, though.

Yeah, you’re right in many areas. But still, it’s good to hear industry perspectives, since they’re a bit more grounded than ours. Their hot takes, while still hot takes, have at least a direction behind them.

6 minutes ago, Krudler said:

I kind of don't hate the idea of Silver helmets being the only Silver in the uniform as kind of unique thing that distinguishes their identity, I just wish the pants were white instead of blue.

Yeah problem with the white helmet is it makes them look too much like the Bills. Should add silver and white pants and mix and match em.

1 hour ago, canzman said:

- snip -

So the documentation I have access to shows the pants with more traditional brashier stripping but the pictures from the release show the stripping from the previous color rush set. I would assume what is actually pictured and produced is what will be used, but this just help illustrate the inconsistency between the documentation the league provides and what is actually produced. Maybe know people will better understand why inaccurate things are produced in things like Madden. If the NFL provides information to EA that is not accurate you can't always fault them for having things off in the game.

Are we sure the Pats unveiled the right pants? Look at this tweet of the mascot. 

would be weird to get it right on the mascot and get it wrong on the players and not vice versa, but stranger things have happened and these are strange times. 

If the pants better match the UCLA stripes then that's one big issue solved. 

5 minutes ago, BJ Sands said:

Are we sure the Pats unveiled the right pants? Look at this tweet of the mascot. 

If they did indeed unveil incorrect pants, and are using the ones on the mascot/in the style guide, that *greatly* influences my opinion of these things.

I like these slightly more than the previous uniform set, but this one still leaves a bit to be desired. Perhaps they pull silver pants out of the closet down the road, similar to what the Browns have hinted at with orange pants. 

4 minutes ago, BJ Sands said:

Here is something that could be possible given the situation we are in. Nike might not have gotten the new pants to the Pats in time for the player photoshoot and they just use the color rush pants they had on hand. The new pants arrived in time to take the pictures with the mascot. 

As I said I am not sure which it is. I have an email out asking for clarity.