Patriots Unveil New Uniforms

Wentz2Jeffery

33 minutes ago, Unwind said:

Here's what the corrected stripes would look like with a navy middle stripe instead of white.

spacer.png

I like this a lot better however I think silver in place of white on the stripe would tie this together pretty nicely.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, SFGiants58 said:

Yeah, I guess that I’ve got a bit crazy. I apologize to anybody who found my statements offensive, dismissive, or rude in any way.

I happen to think that the Seahawks’ uniform is a top-ten design, especially in monochrome. I like the Lions’ custom font and the Dolphins’s “cruise line” logo, as well as the Jets’ new design. I don’t mind the full sock design. Mix-and-match is fine. If you think that makes me a “swooshketeer” or makes my opinion less valid, feel free to think that.

Once again, I apologize for this long-winded rant that likely offended some people. I hope I can redeem myself in your eyes. 

Not offended, just finding it odd that this is the hill you choose to die on. Not trying to push you, but maybe just step back and chill a bit.

Take it from someone who was pointing out that he expected SHOULD in the rulebook to be a mandatory thing 🙂

It's where I sit.

To be honest, it's not a bad re-design. It would've been cool if they brought a little of the older design with the new. Maybe a white helmet/red jersey/white pants combo.  The problems i always have with some of those "color-rush" style is the monochrome design.  Look at some of the touch-ups people are making on this forum. Just by adding proper "sockage" it makes it look so much better. The Giants' and Saints' "color rush" (really their old uniform) would be even better with proper socks.  I'm not a fan of any monochrome uniform because they just end up looking like leotards. In my opinion, or in my school of thought, socks should never be the same color as the pants. If you wear white pants, the easiest thing to do is to break it up with one of the team colors. If pants are colored, then you should go with an opposite solid color or multi-color stripes (see Browns return to niceville). 

1 hour ago, ~Bear said:

First off, binge watching Community for the first time right now and just watched this episode. This show is great, and the GIF is 10x funnier knowing the context. 

Secondly, I agree with the finally paragraph until the last sentence. I do feel like at the end of the day, it's possible that people expect certain seemingly easy upgrades yet are fruitlessly disappointed when designers take their uniforms in another direction. Redesigns are never going to satisfy everyone.

This being said, I don't think you can say every team has upgraded. There are some pseudo-modern approaches, such as the Lions or even the Seahawks in my opinion, that are definite or light upgrades. Honestly, the Dolphins total package now is much better than their older uniforms (even if I do miss the dolphin in the helmet a bit). But a majority of the modern stuff Nike has put out seems new just to be new. The Jaguars gradient helmet, for example, was a failure. The Tampa Bay alarm clock numbers were a failure. The Browns pants stripe was a failure. These little details do make a world of difference in the cohesion of the uniform. 

There are creative striping methods and unique color palettes team could use to create new modern looks that still work and could work years down the line. The problem sometimes the overtly flashy and gaudy isn't the best approach. 

Watched the whole series for the first time last year and it's great. I tell people it's like watching a show that "jumps the shark" in every episode but somehow is still hilarious. 

Should have been more specific about the upgrades. I think so far every team in 2020 has upgraded. Mainly because the previous sets were all so bad. I'd say the Bucs, Browns, Patriots and Falcons all had some of the worst designs in the league. There's definitely a lot of positive changes coming to the NFL, but you wouldn't think so reading some of these comments. 

The pre-2020 Nike updates have definitely been a mixed bag.

While gray pants would be better on both sets, there's enough striping that the mono home really wouldn't look bad if they changed the socks to white.

The biggest three things that mess this up for me are:

1. Nobody should use UCLA stripes if they can't do it right.  They look stupid when cut off by a seam.  To someone that didn't know the history of football uniforms, it looks like they just decided to make some stripe marks over the shoulder, rather than simulate an old-school shoulder hoop.

2. The red-white-red on the road doesn't make any sense and looks dumb.  I don't care if it matches the home - it doesn't need to.  Red-blue-red, or blue-red-blue would be better.

3.  The socks suck.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

3 minutes ago, VDizzle12 said:

Watched the whole series for the first time last year and it's great. I tell people it's like watching a show that "jumps the shark" in every episode but somehow is still hilarious. 

Should have been more specific about the upgrades. I think so far every team in 2020 has upgraded. Mainly because the previous sets were all so bad. I'd say the Bucs, Browns, Patriots and Falcons all had some of the worst designs in the league. There's definitely a lot of positive changes coming to the NFL, but you wouldn't think so reading some of these comments. 

The pre-2020 Nike updates have definitely been a mixed bag.

Falcons have a lot going on that is not that good therefore is lateral at best. However both them & the Patriots have one flaw that just can't be overlooked which is monochrome. Everything else I could live with but that just looks the worst to me.

This new set has the same problem as the Falcons' new uniforms. They look like a cheap catalog order, not worthy of a professional franchise. Although in this case, they look like a Division 3 college football team as opposed to how the Falcons look like an arena football team.

It still boggles the mind how the Patriots managed to come up with the perfect uniforms for themselves, ditch them after one season, and then never bring them back even for a throwback game. Every change they've made since 1993 has been a downgrade (except for arguably the red facemasks) and this is no exception.

spacer.png

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Hmm.

- get rid of the silver... on everything. Helmet, logo and numbers. Just make it straight r/w/b

- split the stripes on the white jerseys... make it red/white/blue/white/red 

- white pants matching what I said for the white jerseys 

- make the socks match the stripes

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

8 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

2. The red-white-red on the road doesn't make any sense and looks dumb.  I don't care if it matches the home - it doesn't need to.  Red-blue-red, or blue-red-blue would be better.

Which red-white-red on the road are you taking about?

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

2 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

It still boggles the mind how the Patriots managed to come up with the perfect uniforms for themselves, ditch them after one season, and then never bring them back even for a throwback game. Every change they've made since 1993 has been a downgrade (except for arguably the red facemasks) and this is no exception.

The TV numbers are single-layer white and the front/back numbers are red outlined in white. That's not perfect! It looks weird and cheap. I mean, I think most everything else about the set is good, but let's not get carried away.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Pretty sure the Patriots will never be white helmet/blue jerseys/white pants as long as Buffalo is white helmets/blue jerseys/white pants. 

3 minutes ago, the admiral said:

The TV numbers are single-layer white and the front/back numbers are red outlined in white. That's not perfect! It looks weird and cheap. I mean, I think most everything else about the set is good, but let's not get carried away.

I wonder if the NFL realized that the red numbers on blue would be hard to read on low-definition cameras, so they forced the Patriots to make the TV numbers white.

Archived