Patriots Unveil New Uniforms

Wentz2Jeffery

1 minute ago, the admiral said:

The TV numbers are single-layer white and the front/back numbers are red outlined in white. That's not perfect! It looks weird and cheap. I mean, I think most everything else about the set is good, but let's not get carried away.

The contrasting TV numbers are an interesting quirk on jerseys that are otherwise very simple. I tend to prefer consistency throughout a uniform, but this is one instance where inconsistency doesn't bother me.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

I wonder if the NFL realized that the red numbers on blue would be hard to read on low-definition cameras, so they forced the Patriots to make the TV numbers white.

I'm sure that's exactly what happened, they screen-tested the uniforms and it was a problem. I wonder whether red numbers outlined in white would have had sufficient contrast against navy blue.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I’m glad that the CR stripes are incorrect. The stripes matching the stripes on the jersey definitely helps tie it in together. The old stripes definitely only went for the old away jersey so going to simpler stripes going forward is a plus

now where’s that silver set....

2 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Once again, I apologize for this long-winded rant that likely offended some people.

No need to apologize. You shared your opinion. Some of us agreed with it, some of us didn't. If anyone was truly offended then that's on them. 

BB52Big.jpg

Haha these are so dumb and bad. This looks like the kind of thing you'd expect from a MAC team in 2005 and not from the most dominant NFL franchise of all time. They'll be 5-11 and look every bit the part. I'm so excited!

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I see this as a definite upgrade, although maybe not as big an upgrade as we were expecting.

Going with the Color Rush was expected, but the navy pants at home are a surprise. Silver pants would really do wonders for this set, I think they’d look great at home or on the road.

If they weren’t going to have silver pants, they might as well have made the helmet white (I say that as someone who likes the silver helmet) and make room for the throwback Pat Patriot look.

I’m gonna miss the now-defunct number font (it grew on me over the years, it was clearly Patriots), but this new one isn’t bad. Like others said, it looks like a mixture of the old font and a regular block, which better matches the wordmark.

It’s starting to look more like the pants stripes are really supposed to be equal-width, which is good. The pants that were presented don’t have nearly enough red in them, and it’s annoying that they don’t match the width of the jerseys.

Overall, I think this is a nice modern set that has a few inconsistencies and design choices that bring it down a bit. I’m really surprised to see the amount of hate it’s getting, as it’s pretty much what we were all expecting. I think it’s still good to keep in mind what it is replacing, which in my opinion was a bottom 5 design in the league, that stayed as long as it did mostly because of the success of the team.

1 minute ago, Lights Out said:

Sure, if you ignore the fact that they borrowed it from Northwestern.

I did not know that! I guess it must have been a stock Adidas font (since they were the supplier of the previous Patriots uniforms, correct?)

The point still stands that, if I saw that number font without any context, I would immediately associate it with the Patriots first. The new one is a bit more generic, but harmless.

47 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

It still boggles the mind how the Patriots managed to come up with the perfect uniforms for themselves, ditch them after one season, and then never bring them back even for a throwback game. Every change they've made since 1993 has been a downgrade (except for arguably the red facemasks) and this is no exception.

spacer.png

I am curious if these uniforms would be well-received today. Like if they were a brand new design with no historical ties. I imagine the pants stripes would be considered gimmicky, the numbers would notably lack cohesiveness, etc.

7 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

Sure, if you ignore the fact that they borrowed it from Northwestern.

spacer.png

Odd - Patriots have a design that's closer to that now than they did in 2000. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 minute ago, AndrewMLind said:

I am curious if these uniforms would be well-received today. Like if they were a brand new design with no historical ties. I imagine the pants stripes would be considered gimmicky, the numbers would notably lack cohesiveness, etc.

I vividly remember my dad saying those uniforms belonged in the USFL and they weren't up to NFL standards. The "they look like an arena league team" comparison had not yet been invented in 1993. If he only knew what we were in for.

I actually think people would be more accepting of the pants than they would be red numbers on a royal blue jersey. 

My hottest Patriots take about those uniforms is the gray facemask has always been the best color option for that helmet. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived