Patriots Unveil New Uniforms

Wentz2Jeffery

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not to derail this discussion further into Bengals talk (well actually kinda to do exactly that, I guess), but I think what appeals about their Color Rush set is that they are such an effective conduit to see how good the Bengals could look if they just simplified their way-too-busy homes and roads. Obviously there are issues with them - lack of color being the major and obvious one - but they present an appealing template. Just add orange to the striping parts and they aren't far from great. 

Actually I guess that's kinda what the Patriots tried to do today. 

7 minutes ago, IceCap said:

The Patriots didn't do that though. 

Specifically this set's lack of silver or white pants and inconsistent striping widths across jerseys and pants kills what could otherwise be a really solid look. 

Which is actually not the case. Those were the old Color Rush pants. The actual Pants have traditional Brisher Stripes

Links since for some reason, the forum isn't letting me copy links right into the textbox, and they won't embed because of that. 

Pat Patriot's Twitter

James White's Instagram

Stephon Gilmore's Instagram

da0Lbhs.png

5 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

You know what's become my least favorite part of uniform reveals?  This nonsense about how "the board hates everything new" as a cheap and easy way to dismiss other people's opinions. 

A quick read thru the threads of the other three NFL uniform reveals shows it just isn't true. No one wants to be told that their opinion isn't valid, or even worse, isn't really even theirs. Stop it.  Disagree all you want, that's what we're here for, but trying to tell me my opinion isn't honestly my own makes me want to snap back to belittle your opinion.

Well said. 

Anyone who goes on about "this place just X" needs to take this to heart. 

28 minutes ago, rjrrzube said:

Does this officially mean the Cardinals are the only team left with '90s-era piping in their uniform? 

I would be shocked if we don't hear about a Cardinals redesign within the year.

They look so so bad, and I know they've bounced around a lot and they don't feel like the NFL's oldest franchise, but they really should fix their disaster.

look a these beauts.

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

I understand the home reds are going to need to be spruced up a bit as they'd probably be seen as too Penn State plain today, but they really cannot keep going with their current uniform atrocities

Also as we can see from the various player posts and such I have gotten actual confirmation that the images from the official release did not use the correct pants and that the brashier stripes we see in the documentation and player photos are correct. Have not gotten any response yet on how they got away with not having TV numbers.

See for me, the navy & silver, just doesn't fit right; royal blue, white & red should be their team colors. These darker shades that are a popular trend in sport uniforms today just make the uniforms look dreary, morib and depressing. Do I need to add any more adjectives?

1 minute ago, canzman said:

Also as we can see from the various player posts and such I have gotten actual confirmation that the images from the official release did not use the correct pants and that the brashier stripes we see in the documentation and player photos are correct. Have not gotten any response yet on how they got away with not having TV numbers.

I'm guessing it's not a requirement and the rule is enforced at the league's discretion.  I'm pretty sure the rule says "should", which is not the same as "shall" or "must".

IUe6Hvh.png

5 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

You know, hockey week was right when he said this:

I can't speak for anyone else but...

The context here is that hockey week was claiming the then new/current Florida Panthers primary was merely "meh" but that people were trashing it because it wasn't their classic logo. hockey week was arguing that only old/classic stuff is lauded here, while anything new (even if it's merely mediocre) gets labelled "the worst." 

Now here's where I get to the part about me only being able to speak for myself...

I like(d) the then new/current Florida Panthers primary logo. Like...I really like it, and that's saying something because I really like the classic logo too. The classic logo has a lot going for it in my opinion too. It's got a late 80s/early 90s aesthetic I love, plus built in nostalgia (the 1996 Stanley Cup Final between Colorado and Florida is the first Cup Final I have concrete memories of). 

So if what you and hockey week and DNA and Chromatic and so on are saying is true? I should hate the Panthers' current logo. It's not the classic logo I both aesthetic and nostalgic preferences for. And yet I'm perfectly fine with the new logo they have. I dig it. 

And THIS is what osv, infrared, and Goth are getting at. It's unfair to paint everyone with such a derogatory brush as "this place hates everything new/this place just likes to complain." 

As I explained above? I'm one of the people who overall likes classic looks, thinks newer trends tend to look silly, but also likes new stuff when I think it's done well. 

Whether you intend to or not you dismiss my own legitimate opinions- and the complexities within them- in a broad stroke when you say that sort of stuff. And I'm not unique in that regard. You do it to everyone's own complex and varied tastes when you try to tell us we all just like the same stuff and hate anything that deviates. 

5 hours ago, Digby said:

In general I see your point. But this topic is not, in my view, a good example of it.

Yes I agree. A merely ok Pats uniform with equal parts good and bad is probably not the place to start painting everyone with such a broad brush. 

I mean no place is, really, but this seems like a bit of an underwhelming venue for this particular strawman to get set ablaze for. 

6 minutes ago, joey joe joe jr. shabadoo said:

I would be shocked if we don't hear about a Cardinals redesign within the year.

They look so so bad, and I know they've bounced around a lot and they don't feel like the NFL's oldest franchise, but they really should fix their disaster.

look a these beauts.

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

I understand the home reds are going to need to be spruced up a bit as they'd probably be seen as too Penn State plain today, but they really cannot keep going with their current uniform atrocities

While their current look has to go, the Cardinals don't have any beauts in their closet IMO. The logo is great but they can start the uniforms from scratch. If they HAVE to keep the helmet, then I agree it requires a traditional look, but they really shouldn't settle for their previous looks.

All my focus goes straight to the shoulder stripes. They're so wide and so out of place. 

They look like a high school team on a serious budget. 

This makes me appreciate many of the other teams who aren't looking so bad right now. 

6 minutes ago, See Red said:

I'm guessing it's not a requirement and the rule is enforced at the league's discretion.  I'm pretty sure the rule says "should", which is not the same as "shall" or "must".

Depends on the interpretation of should.

1. used to indicate obligation, duty, or correctness, typically when criticizing someone's actions.

2. used to indicate what is probable.

If you use the first meaning obligation or correctness it is required. If you use the second as in probable then it is optional.

7 minutes ago, Tygers09 said:

See for me, the navy & silver, just doesn't fit right; royal blue, white & red should be their team colors. These darker shades that are a popular trend in sport uniforms today just make the uniforms look dreary, morib and depressing. Do I need to add any more adjectives?

The Pats switched to navy around the turn of the century when the dark colors trend was actually en vogue. Bright colors, especially teams returning to bright colors, has been the trend for the last almost decade (Ex: Warriors, Blue Jays, Pitt, Rams, Cavs, just to name a few). So the Pats are actually bucking trends by sticking to their current, more drab color scheme.

The fixed pants stripe is a major sigh of relief, probably the biggest issue for the white uniform. At least they’ll just look generic 50% of the time instead of generic and bad 100% of the time. I still can’t understand going shoulder to shin monochrome with a traditional looking uniform. Full time monochrome looks fine on modern uniforms, but it always feels forced when traditional striping pattern are in the mix. I don’t mind the number font, the previous one wasn’t great either and this one does a reasonable job in updating it and probably looks better (I wish the 1 had serifs at the bottom though).

Obviously this isn’t viable in the current Nike template, but I would be interested in seeing the middle white stripe extend below the red, and the red/white/red stripe of some grey pants concepts here mimicking the logo by turning the red stripes blue 3/4 of the way

07Giants.pngnyy.png

Archived