Patriots Unveil New Uniforms

Wentz2Jeffery

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, RedSox44 said:

So I think the jerseys themselves are upgrades, especially when directly compared to the previous ones. But the uniforms writ large are a lateral move, due to one pair of pants and one set of socks, and not changing the helmet.

spacer.png

And someone on Reddit mocked these up. Good god, red numbers would've been perfect.

spacer.png

Why change from the custom number and name font? Makes the new uniforms look like cheap fashion knockoffs.

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

9 minutes ago, mike2sana said:

Unpopular opinion but in addition to silver pants on the Home I'd love for there to be a silver 3rd Jersey to pair with the Blue pant. Out of all the teams in the league I feel like Pats would look solid in a bit of silver

You mean gray.  Nike doesn’t make silver fabric. 

54 minutes ago, TenaciousG said:

Why change from the custom number and name font? Makes the new uniforms look like cheap fashion knockoffs.

Yep, as I keep looking at it, this is still my biggest issue with the set. Worse than the pants stripes. A standard block font makes them look really generic. 

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

That's just such a bad template to use for shoulder stripes.  I get that older designs have been shoehorned onto modern templates, but I can't understand why someone would want to go out of their way to create that cut-off mess from scratch.

Also, the numbers really bother me now.  The extra outline is killing it for me.

These don't look like a cohesive uniform.  The helmet, numbers, sleeves, and to a lesser extent pants, all look like they were ordered from a different vendor.

I think the template and stripes work fine, shoulder stripes are still shoulder stripes and still look fine, they may no longer be loops but otherwise there's not much of a difference. I agree with the rest of your statements though, the numbers outlines and colors don't mesh with the stripes at all, and the silver helmet throws it all off. Maybe not as bad at their predecessors but bad nonetheless. 

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

8 hours ago, MattMill said:

All my focus goes straight to the shoulder stripes. They're so wide and so out of place. 

They look like a high school team on a serious budget. 

This makes me appreciate many of the other teams who aren't looking so bad right now. 

Couldn't agree more. They are too wide 

11 minutes ago, _DietDrPepper_ said:

I think the template and stripes work fine, shoulder stripes are still shoulder stripes and still look fine, they may no longer be loops but otherwise there's not much of a difference. I agree with the rest of your statements though, the numbers outlines and colors don't mesh with the stripes at all, and the silver helmet throws it all off. Maybe not as bad at their predecessors but bad nonetheless. 

would those stripes still look fine if it was on a seamless shirt? Or are our eyes fooled into thinking they’re hoops that just ran into a wall?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I saw a mono-silver Patriots concept the other day with red numbers instead of navy, and I think it really popped against the silver, made the uniform more vibrant in general. Can't find the exact one but here's a pretty good comparison:

Nike New England Patriots Nate Solder Jersey - Elite Grey ShadowTom Brady New England Patriots #12 Gray NFL Jersey Reebok On Field ...

I think red numbers look much better in this case.

SqZ68qe.png

tL45BrE.png

24 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

would those stripes still look fine if it was on a seamless shirt? Or are our eyes fooled into thinking they’re hoops that just ran into a wall?

I think it's fine either way. Again they're shoulder stripes, stripes that run atop the shoulders, shoulder loops are a thing of the past, they rarely work on updated templates, and when they try to work they look worse than shoulder stripes, who ever said stripes on the shoulders were bad? 

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

2 hours ago, _DietDrPepper_ said:

I think it's fine either way. Again they're shoulder stripes, stripes that run atop the shoulders, shoulder loops are a thing of the past, they rarely work on updated templates, and when they try to work they look worse than shoulder stripes, who ever said stripes on the shoulders were bad? 

They look as good as the manufacturer is willing to make them look.. there are examples from the past that would work just fine with today's updated templates, plus some ideas and theories that I personally have that have yet to be implemented.. the problem isn't the design or the template - it's the manufacturer.. they're as capable of putting shoulder loops on jerseys as they are making shiny fabric.. they just choose not to

I've been afforded the opportunity to analyze the Patriots' uniform makeover from a fairly unique perspective.

Born and raised in Massachusetts, surrounded by friends and family who were - indeed, still are - die-hard fans of the team, the Pats were the one New England sports franchise for which I never developed any particular affinity. I remember that as a child I enjoyed spending Sundays with my grandfather while he watched the Patriots, but I also distinctly recall that what truly brought me joy in said situation was getting to spend time with him and seeing how much pleasure he took from the ritual of watching their games. I didn't love the Patriots... or hate the Patriots. The Patriots were just sort of... there. That's never changed.

That said, interestingly enough, aside from spending time with my grandfather while he watched their games, I can honestly say that the biggest impact the Patriots have had on me was planting the seed for my interest in sports logos and sports uniform design. I do remember thinking, at a very early age, that the "Pat Patriot" mark was a really solid logo. Having grown up in New England, I was a history enthusiast, and - as a result - I felt that depicting a colonial era soldier playing modern American football was truly clever. I also recall that despite my enthusiasm for their logo, the Pats' uniforms bugged me. It irked me to no end that a team named for the heroes of the America Revolution was taking to the field in red - RED?!? -  uniforms that had more in common with those of the soldiers of the British Army. Some of my very first drawings of sports uniform concepts were of BLUE on-field gear for the Pats.         

All of that said, back to the subject at hand. 

I can't help but think that the Patriots over-corrected with these uniforms. To my mind, their 2000-2019 uniforms needed relatively minor tweaks. Namely...

* On the navy jerseys, remove the silver shoulder inserts and the red side piping.
* On the white jerseys, remove the navy shoulder inserts and the red side piping, change the side panel from navy to white, and switch the inner trim color on the numbers from white to silver.

If the Pats were feeling particularly ambitious, they might have opted to introduce stylized striping to the pants. Maybe something inspired by the "Flying Elvis" logo. I could see a design in which said striping would position the two portions of the navy tricorner hat from the logo at the hip of the pants, with the pair of tapering, flag-inspired red stripes from the mark extending down the side of each pant leg. The longer red stripe would be in the forward position on the side of each leg. As in the logo, a white outline would serve to separate the navy and red elements of the design, while also providing contrast between the stripes and the silver or navy base material. But, again, the pants never struck me as being a problem on the 2000-2019 Pats' uniforms.       

That said, this unveiling - at least to my mind - confirms something that I've long held to be true: slapping the current mark and colors on an approximation of the Pats' 1960-68/1984-92 uniform template doesn't work particularly well. Frankly, it doesn't work at all.

Though, as previously pointed out, I've always had a soft spot for the "Pat Patriot" logo, from a design standpoint it's depth of detail makes it a sub-optimal mark when used in smaller applications. A simplified, pared down version of "Pat" would likely still come up short in said regard. After all, there's only so much you can do to modernize the throwback "Pat Patriot" without completely losing the mark's appeal. As for UCLA-style shoulder stripes, Nike's truncated application of the element on their template looks abysmal.

In terms of brand-building, the first 33 years of primarily red-hued Boston/New England Patriots football - including, the 18 seasons spent sporting UCLA-style shoulder stripes - were by-and-large forgettable: a 125-142-9 mark on the field, just six trips to the post-season (including an absolute shellacking in Super Bowl XX), 22 seasons spent in a suburban home stadium with all of the aluminum bench-seated charm of a facility in a fourth-division soccer league, and ownership that was mind-numbingly inept. By contrast, the "Flying Elvis" logo and blue-centered color scheme have accompanied the 27-season span during which sustained on-field success has lifted the team from being ignored as "50 pounds of stupid in a 5-pound bag" to dominating the sports marketplace in the hearts and minds of New Englanders.            

Bottom line? The design elements of the two distinct periods don't really mesh and the disparate levels of franchise achievement that have accompanied each look create a dissonance when it comes to trying to promote the brand by insisting upon forcing those elements together. It all makes for a Frankenstein's Monster mash-up of a visual identity that leaves me cold. 

Archived