Wentz2Jeffery

Patriots Unveil New Uniforms

4 hours ago, Gothamite said:

You mean gray.  Nike doesn’t make silver fabric. 

Correct. The closest is the Loins and/or Panthers. The Cowboys have a teal set and a weird, rough, light-gray set.

The cowboys and raiders pants look pretty silver to me. Do they still use the Reebok materials, and if so, what’s stopping teams like the panthers and bucs from using the shiny Reebok fabrics? Also many people on these boards push for throwbacks, but I feel like the inability to use metallic fabrics wouldn’t do justice to some classic looks, such as the original seahawks blue and silver, or any team that wants to bring back silver pants such as a falcons throwback or the Kelly green eagles.

Love the home tops, should swap the colors on the shoulder strips on the road whites. Don't love the stripe on the pants. Don't love the outline on the numbers on the white. Definitely need gray or white pants. But, a step in the right direction, blend of the old and new. 

7 hours ago, Newport said:

I feel they could’ve gotten away with no stripes, no Elvis, just numbers on the arm and patriots with Elvis on the front.

That would have been awfully boring, especially with no helmet stripes. 

17 hours ago, TheFallenHaveRisen said:

Lateral move from the Brady uniforms, went from a generic late 90's/early 2000's design to a generic late 2010's design.  

spacer.png

This is still as good as the Patriots have ever looked, swap the weird number font with the new font and get rid of the sublimated stripes and you'd have an actually unique (in the NFL these days) and good design cooking

Agree on the number font, but I'd keep the sublimated stripes as something unique to the Pats. As I said many pages back, I think those were a highly underrated (and unique for that matter) part of this set.

8 hours ago, _DietDrPepper_ said:

I think the template and stripes work fine, shoulder stripes are still shoulder stripes and still look fine, they may no longer be loops but otherwise there's not much of a difference.

They're just "Stripes to nowhere".  They were originally designed to not have a start and a stop - or at least have the terminus be where you couldn't see it.  To me these just look unfinished.

8 hours ago, Jojopeligreeno said:

The shoulder stripes match the pat patriot throwbacks and everyone likes those. They are trying to make it work with the navy.

You are 100% wrong about that.

7 hours ago, _DietDrPepper_ said:

I think it's fine either way. Again they're shoulder stripes, stripes that run atop the shoulders, shoulder loops are a thing of the past, they rarely work on updated templates, and when they try to work they look worse than shoulder stripes, who ever said stripes on the shoulders were bad? 

I did.  IMO, stripes should go from the end-to-end of something - whether it's the top to bottom of pants, all the way around a long sleeve (where there is no end), from front to back of helmet, and all the way around a shoulder (or at least end where you can't see it.)  

7 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

They're just "Stripes to nowhere".  They were originally designed to not have a start and a stop - or at least have the terminus be where you couldn't see it.  To me these just look unfinished.

I did.  IMO, stripes should go from the end-to-end of something - whether it's the top to bottom of pants, all the way around a long sleeve (where there is no end), from front to back of helmet, and all the way around a shoulder (or at least end where you can't see it.)  

Agreed.  This is the look that these uniforms are attempting to emulate . . . shoulder loops that go all the way around.

spacer.png

Instead, this set has bastardized stripes that barely go over the shoulder and look more like epaulets.

spacer.png

The problem isn't unique to the Patriots.  Most teams that used to have shoulder loops have truncated stripes now that only resemble the original shoulder loops in passing.

spacer.png

I'm glad the pant stripes were incorrect on the initial photos. The corrected stripes are much better and consistent with the uniform design.

But my overall reaction remains: meh. 

I mean it's nice that the side panels are gone, but this still seems like a pretty basic change. I guess it accomplished their goal, if the Patriots basic goal was "We're going to tweak our existing set".

On the other hand, if their goal was "We're going to introduce a new Patriots (post-Brady) era", I think these are way underwhelming.

(And that, of course, brings to my somewhat warped mind the following thought, "What is a whelm? And how do you know if you're over or under one?")

The template capped shoulder stripes are a better look than shoulder loops that go all the way around. 

The Colts and Patriots would look much worse on a modern cut uniform if they tried to emulate that. 

2 minutes ago, El Scorcho said:

The template capped shoulder stripes are a better look than shoulder loops that go all the way around. 

The Colts and Patriots would look much worse on a modern cut uniform if they tried to emulate that. 

Then maybe shoulder stripes should just go away if they're no longer able to be replicated on modern uniforms.  

Since TV numbers aren't needed anymore, convert shoulder stripes into vertical stripes that go from neck to cuff, like Texas A&M.

The way modern shoulder stripes look these days doesn't really bother me. Because the way jersey cuts are different, it does feel natural for them to stop at those certain points around the shoulder. Remember when LSU tried to make stripes with Nike that went further down, just to appease the crowd that wanted it? It looked awful. To me, it's like racing stripes on a car ... it runs over the spot seen, you don't run it under the bottom. 

NFC executive: LSU's Jamal Adams is my favorite player - NFL.com

14 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Then maybe shoulder stripes should just go away if they're no longer able to be replicated on modern uniforms.  

Since TV numbers aren't needed anymore, convert shoulder stripes into vertical stripes that go from neck to cuff, like Texas A&M.

But those shoulder stripes as the Colts/Patriots/UCLA currently have them are a great look in general. The Colts have arguably the best uniform in the NFL because of the cutoff shoulder stripes, not in spite of them. 

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

did.  IMO, stripes should go from the end-to-end of something - whether it's the top to bottom of pants, all the way around a long sleeve (where there is no end), from front to back of helmet, and all the way around a shoulder (or at least end where you can't see it.)  

Agree to disagree then.

19 hours ago, TheFallenHaveRisen said:

Lateral move from the Brady uniforms, went from a generic late 90's/early 2000's design to a generic late 2010's design.  

spacer.png

Is that a Pat Patriot-era hand warmer with a Flying Elvis sewn onto it?  If this is the '96 Divisional Playoff, then that hand warmer had been sitting around Foxboro for at least 4 years.

16 minutes ago, Hat Boy said:

Is that a Pat Patriot-era hand warmer with a Flying Elvis sewn onto it?  If this is the '96 Divisional Playoff, then that hand warmer had been sitting around Foxboro for at least 4 years.

Based on the weather that is definitely '96.

This was almost perfect. Bring back silver pants for the home and white striped socks for the away with navy pants, and bring back the old number font. That's all it needs. For what we got, still fairly good and not deserving of the reaction it got for sure.

3 hours ago, leopard88 said:

Agreed.  This is the look that these uniforms are attempting to emulate . . . shoulder loops that go all the way around.

spacer.png

Instead, this set has bastardized stripes that barely go over the shoulder and look more like epaulets.

spacer.png

The problem isn't unique to the Patriots.  Most teams that used to have shoulder loops have truncated stripes now that only resemble the original shoulder loops in passing.

spacer.png

It seems hard to believe, but the situation is actually better now than when Reebok was using its super-stretchy uniforms and the shoulder stripes were literally just on top of the shoulder.

donald-brown-colts-nfl.jpg

The frustrating thing is that Nike has the ability to fix this. For instance, the Panthers' stripes go all the way around, and even LSU's stripes are extended down to the armpit. There is no reason why they couldn't do a "full" UCLA stripe on a modern template.

hi-res-9cd42643e22f7885b29f1ba484930a95_LSU_Tigers_defense_2015_15.jpg?itok=Xwt3

3 hours ago, El Scorcho said:

But those shoulder stripes as the Colts/Patriots/UCLA currently have them are a great look in general. The Colts have arguably the best uniform in the NFL because of the cutoff shoulder stripes, not in spite of them. 

I guess I just have a different opinion.  Since I grew up when teams had proper UCLA shoulder stripes, my brain still associates the Colts to that look, but if I stop and look at them objectively, I think they look absolutely stupid.  Like someone just took a pen and drew two dashes on their shoulders.