Patriots Unveil New Uniforms

Wentz2Jeffery

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Lights Out said:

What they actually should have done:

spacer.png

While I liked what the Patriots were attempting to do with those 1993 uniform pants, they and the folks at Apex came up short.

Obviously, the striping pattern on the pants is inspired by the "Flying Elvis" mark. That said, it doesn't truly succeed at capturing the flowing, flag-like feel of the stripes in said logo. Rather than the red lines on the pants slightly curving as though they're stripes on a windblown flag, they're rendered as rigid triangles. Further, there are three red stripes on the pants, as opposed to the two in the logo. The pants stripes would have better reflected the "Flying Elvis" if there had been one red stripe that ran to the very end of the pants leg, a second red stripe that was slightly shorter, and a single blue stripe that was shorter still.

If the Patriots and Nike were to ever try and revisit that design experiment, they'd be well served to have the striping start as a solid navy block of color at the hip of the pants on each leg. They might even opt to add a white star within said block just below the waistband. As the navy coloring separated into three distinct stripes on its way down the leg, it would give way to a pair of red stripes that would gently - and slightly - curve away from the front of the thigh and the knee. The forward-most of these two red stripes would eventually run the full length of the pants leg, with the red stripe just behind it running a bit shorter in length. The third blue stripe, positioned towards the rear of the leg, would be the shortest on the pants leg and might run to no lower than mid-thigh. 

It's simply a matter of printing the striping pattern one wants - in this case, something truly reflective of a specific portion of the "Flying Elvis" mark - onto a piece of Nike's proprietary fabric and inserting it into/affixing it to a pair of pants. Again, if the Patriots and their uniform partner are going to go to all of that trouble, they should nail the details... not just half-ass it.

7 hours ago, leopard88 said:

If you're referring to most current iterations (as in what the Colts actually look like now, not the outdated image your brain projects), I agree.

This is what I grew up with . . . and which looks right.  What they have now only works (if at all) as a poor reminder of what the uniform is supposed to look like.

spacer.png

IMO, this is a significantly inferior look to the Colts of the last 18 years or so. The Colts elevated their look from solid to among the best in the league by cutting off the loops.

The stripes get crumpled and lost under the arms even on the old templates, and it'd be worse on a new template. They're also thinner. The cutoff shoulder stripes are bolder and sharper than this ever was. 

^I like that a lot.  There's no need for outlined numbers.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

^I like that a lot.  There's no need for outlined numbers.

A single red outline, maybe? I agree that not having an outline is preferable to what they have now.

It's where I sit.

1 minute ago, Sec19Row53 said:

A single red outline, maybe? I agree that not having an outline is preferable to what they have now.

Nah.  Keeps it consistent with the logo, and with the flag. Also, single color numbers look "tougher" IMO.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

24 minutes ago, Jeffery said:

8iMwfti.jpg

I'm assuming it's their 2012 alternate, but it is grouped in with the new jerseys. Maybe they were planning a fauxback, but decided to wait another year in case the one helmet rule got knocked down.

They’ve been there since 2012. Nike has sold them all this time, even on the Vapor Untouchable. They are Still in Madden on VU, and they were in the Logoslicks and Style Guide (at least it was in there last year. Don’t ask how I accessed it.)

It’s nothing new.

da0Lbhs.png

17 hours ago, hawk36 said:

I think all of this just proves that the Patriots may have one of the worst design decision making teams in the NFL. So easy to fix yet they overthink, over design, clutter and ruin their looks. The only conclusion is whomever is making the final decision, Kraft?, is completely void of design sense. Strange for an otherwise well run organization. 

Wait til you hear about their soccer team! 

16 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I'm still perplexed they didn't just do silver pants with white and navy jerseys. It would be such a simple and elegant fix for a team that's designed around efficiency. The all-blue with silver helmet makes no sense to me.

I get the argument for silver pants on the navy jersey. I think they've settled into their ideal road look with navy pants, though. Wore it in a couple of the SB victories and everything. I really hate the the shoulder stripe and number outline treatment on the white jersey, but I don't see the pants as a problem there at all.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

13 hours ago, hawk36 said:

Simple, consistent, clean. This is what the final tweak in the Patriots' design process could've been (modified from the Survival79 graphic)...

PatsShould.jpg

Give me navy pants with the white jersey and the old number font (but still one-layer!), and these are just about perfect. 

I get why the color-swap instinct made the white jersey's shoulder stripes the way that they are ... but if you stop to think about it design-wise for 5 seconds, this ^ treatment makes so much more sense. And the heavy use of navy elsewhere in the jersey ensures that the standard Patriots color balance stays intact.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

13 hours ago, hawk36 said:

Simple, consistent, clean. This is what the final tweak in the Patriots' design process could've been (modified from the Survival79 graphic)...

PatsShould.jpg

Great update. Why can't all teams consult with this website before making their final decision? :)

I'd love to see a white pants option and a red jersey added to this set as well.

17 hours ago, hawk36 said:

The only conclusion is whomever is making the final decision, Kraft?, is completely void of design sense. Strange for an otherwise well run organization. 

I agree, somebody needs to give Kraft a hand. Design-wise, I mean.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

8 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

Didn’t the Titans reduce the number size on the columbia blue jerseys after one year?

I *THINK* they were allowed to do this because it was the alternate jersey.

It's where I sit.

8 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

I *THINK* they were allowed to do this because it was the alternate jersey.

Are these rules related to retail purchases?  For example, nobody's buying team pants, so the Browns de-tackifying their pants made total sense.  But if, say, the Falcons decide next year that these uniforms are garbage and dump them, there'd be a lot of upset people who spent a few hundred dollars on an authentic, a hundred bucks on a replica, or 30 bucks on a counterfeit.  Maybe the Titans example was deemed to not be impactful to the integrity of the retail purchases?

I kinda think of the NFL five-year rule as a PR move in saving the teams from themselves.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived