Jump to content

Patriots Unveil New Uniforms


Wentz2Jeffery
 Share

Recommended Posts

45 minutes ago, Unwind said:

Versus the one they unveiled? I respectfully disagree. I personally would have stayed with their previous set, for the record, though.


agree to disagree, my friend. 

 

I’m just overjoyed that the second-worst number font in the NFL is finally gone.  Actually, since they unveiled this after the Bucs unveiled theirs, the Patriots briefly had the first-worst.  But halle-:censored:-ing-lujah, we don’t have to look at those anymore.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Gothamite said:


agree to disagree, my friend. 

 

I’m just overjoyed that the second-worst number font in the NFL is finally gone.  Actually, since they unveiled this after the Bucs unveiled theirs, the Patriots briefly had the first-worst.  But halle-:censored:-ing-lujah, we don’t have to look at those anymore.  


I think the font represents something different to me, being from the Boston area. It’s not even about the aesthetic, it’s the run of excellence that went along with it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Unwind said:

I think the font represents something different to me, being from the Boston area. It’s not even about the aesthetic, it’s the run of excellence that went along with it.


I understand the emotional connection. Totally get it.
 

But objectively, that emotional connection doesn’t make it any less ugly. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:


agree to disagree, my friend. 

 

I’m just overjoyed that the second-worst number font in the NFL is finally gone.  Actually, since they unveiled this after the Bucs unveiled theirs, the Patriots briefly had the first-worst.  But halle-:censored:-ing-lujah, we don’t have to look at those anymore.  

 

You're forgetting the Titans' abomination of a font. At least the Patriots one was legible.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, MDGP said:

You're forgetting the Titans' abomination of a font. At least the Patriots one was legible.


You’re right, I blotted that out of my mind.

 

The Patriots briefly had the second-worst font in the NFL before changing it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can see why people like the old number font -- I do myself. But the further we get away from them, the more I think they were kind of childish. The new ones are an improvement (and I say this as someone who said the change "stung" when the unis were unveiled two days ago).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The old number font was far from great, but it was a really defining characteristic of the Brady era patriots. Put those numbers on the new set and they immediately look like patriots uniforms again. 

 

Switching to a standard block is a lazy, boring decision that makes the new unis look incredibly generic. The numbers are the most recognisable design element on an NFL uniform and they've picked something half the league uses. 

 

I can't support any team moving from a unique font to standard block unless they are reverting back to a classic look from a successful era. The Patriots wore block when they were a nothing franchise and every team in the league wore block. It's not a special font to them. 

 

If they were going to move away from the Brady era numbers, they should have done something interesting. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, El Scorcho said:

The old number font was far from great, but it was a really defining characteristic of the Brady era patriots. Put those numbers on the new set and they immediately look like patriots uniforms again. 

 

Switching to a standard block is a lazy, boring decision that makes the new unis look incredibly generic. The numbers are the most recognisable design element on an NFL uniform and they've picked something half the league uses. 

 

I can't support any team moving from a unique font to standard block unless they are reverting back to a classic look from a successful era. The Patriots wore block when they were a nothing franchise and every team in the league wore block. It's not a special font to them. 

 

If they were going to move away from the Brady era numbers, they should have done something interesting. 

I couldn’t agree more.. i was never really a fan of the previous numbers, but they were solid, and actually fit the Patriots really well.. and they were close enough to standard block that going to a standard block makes the new set look like a knock off..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/21/2020 at 3:03 PM, Unwind said:

I know this isn't the Concepts forum, but it really upsets me that we could've had this, and don't. (I know that there's no true Color Rush option here, but you get the point. Add some red pants.)

 

spacer.png

 

i like this version, mostly for the take on the UCLA stripes. its fine to adopt that on the jersey but they have to make it their own and this does it with a good use of 2 colors. R/W/R stripes on the white jersey is too close to the Colts. i dont think i'd ever put the Pats in a red jersey, but it looks nice

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

Quote

Switching to a standard block is a lazy, boring decision that makes the new unis look incredibly generic.

 

That’s dangerously close to a CCSLC bingo on my board. 😛
 

Takes real talent to get all three of those in one sentence. 😉

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, El Scorcho said:

 

I'm dubbing block numbers where they don't make sense as Block-For-Block's-Sake. 


Yeah, except they always make sense.  
 

They’re the little black dress or pinstripe suit of the sports world; they always look good despite changing fashions.  Teams can dabble with bell-bottoms, popped collars, or layered flannel shirts, but eventually you have to return to the classics. 😁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:


Yeah, except they always make sense.  
 

They’re the little black dress or pinstripe suit of the sports world; they always look good despite changing fashions.  Teams can dabble with bell-bottoms, popped collars, or layered flannel shirts, but eventually you have to return to the classics. 😁

 

It does for lots of teams, because they've either maintained a block font throughout their history or had it in a classic era for the team. It made sense for the Bucs to return to a Superbowl era look. It didn't make sense for the Patriots to move away from their most famous look, even with all its flaws, to a generic standard block. 

 

The numbers are the most significant design feature on a football uniform. The league would be poorer if every team had the same font. There is plenty of block in the league without teams like the Patriots with far more history in other number fonts using it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

 

i like this version, mostly for the take on the UCLA stripes. its fine to adopt that on the jersey but they have to make it their own and this does it with a good use of 2 colors. R/W/R stripes on the white jersey is too close to the Colts. i dont think i'd ever put the Pats in a red jersey, but it looks nice

 

Thanks! The red alternate is there for two reasons: the fans in this area keep clamoring for it, and it's a more prominent nod to the Pat Patriot era garb in the 80s. They'd sell like wildfire if the team ever made one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The old Patriots font was bad but I don't think it was burn-everything-down bad, a la the Bucs font (and how the Titans font ought to be). Still not sure how I feel about losing it; the new one might be enough of a blocky-but-not-THAT-block compromise that it'll age more nicely. I would have much preferred they address the stupid double outline thing on the numbers, though, especially since it no longer ties into the rest of the jersey.

 

And yes, it does get more leeway because it was worn for six Super Bowl titles. I don't make the rules!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, RedSox44 said:

I will note that the new Patriots font, while closer to a generic block, is, in fact, not a generic block. It’s completely unique to them.

 

It's 'a' generic block style font. I'd argue that unique is different from distinct, and distinct is what i'd like them to be. The old font was a block font of sorts as well but it wasn't generic, it was a Patriots font distinct from all others.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.