Patriots Unveil New Uniforms

Wentz2Jeffery

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

Sure, but if you’re relying solely on the 1’s “unique” flag and a slightly exaggerated vertical/horizontal contrast to make your type identifiable to the genpop (or to make them care at all), I think you’ll be disappointed.

Nearly all type has thicker verticals than horizontals (of varying degrees, obviously). It’s not a mistake and doesn’t look like one. Thicker verticals are one of the best ways to make your type look more polished and less like a mistake.

I'm going to push back on this a little bit if you don't mind. I understand the science behind it and all that (I read what you said in the Falcons thread), but @Carolingian Steamroller made a great point about how the article mainly pointed to fonts that are intending too look equal in weight all around. The Patriots and Falcons fonts are jokes of design because they were not intending to create that effect, and instead lie somewhere in an uncanny valley of intentionally even-weighted-but-:censored:ed-up to vertical-strokes-are-thicker-but-now-it's-just-poor-design.

Also, on the 1's thing, the designers understood the team' star player was number 11, and I seriously doubt that wasn't taken into consideration when making a number font with an out of place 1.

45 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

The Pats should never wear red jerseys again. Period. If they want to throw back to Patriot Pat, wear the white jerseys from the period or color-swap the design to work for a blue jersey.

It was a 30 year-long mistake.

Agreed. Even with the Redcoats argument, I’ve always preferred the White 60’s Throwback as a Uniform, ignoring the team name.

spacer.png 

da0Lbhs.png

1 hour ago, SFGiants58 said:

The Pats should never wear red jerseys again. Period. If they want to throw back to Patriot Pat, wear the white jerseys from the period or color-swap the design to work for a blue jersey.

The American flag is RED, white, and blue.

3 minutes ago, colortv said:

This needs to seriously stop.

they changed to blue 27 years ago now and admit that wearing red for a team named for the group that fought against an army that primarily wore red tops was inaccurate.

if you want to make an argument, say they should change to Red and Green due to the color of the NEW ENGLAND flag. (Which if you want to really delve into it, was also reported at Bunker Hill to have been blue)

but that’s disingenuous to the rest of the groups that were also labeled as Patriots.

after 20 years of success wearing Blue, the likelihood of them changing primary colors again is slim to nil. For throwbacks to honor the terrible, joke-riddled history for the first 33 years of their existence? Sure. Go wild.

but for the foreseeable future, Flying Elvis and Blue tops are going to stay

5 minutes ago, colortv said:

Well, the Patriots are named for the Continental Army of the American Revolution. You want to know who their enemies were? The REDcoats!

Redcoats&f=1&nofb=1

Idealized illustrations of the Continental Army feature navy-heavy uniforms.

Infantry,_Continental_Army,_1779-1783.jp

The Pats' name and identity has got nothing to do with the American flag. Flying Elvis may exhibit some inspiration from it, but it's not what the team is stylized after.

6 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Well, the Patriots are named for the Continental Army of the American Revolution.

No, they are named for the citizen soldiers who fought at Lexington and Concord, who didn't wear a uniform of any color

2402233_orig.jpg

11 minutes ago, Hat Boy said:

No, they are named for the citizen soldiers who fought at Lexington and Concord, who didn't wear a uniform of any color

Ah, I stand corrected. Still, the Redcoats were their enemies. The Patriots wearing red is like the Blue Jackets using Confederate imagery (e.g., grey sweaters). It just looks wrong.

Wasn't it hard to sneak attack anyone if you always had a drummer around?  Does every move need percussion in the background?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

12 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Ah, I stand corrected. Still, the Redcoats were their enemies. The Patriots wearing red is like the Blue Jackets using Confederate imagery (e.g., grey sweaters). It just looks wrong.

If we're going for historical accuracy:

“Soldiers then wore a rainbow of colors. And the hated British weren’t the only ones in red coats. Some American soldiers wore them, too. 

https://historyofmassachusetts.org/uniforms-revolutionary-war-soldiers/

The British soldiers were often called the "Red Coats" because of their bright red coats. Although they are most famous for their red uniforms, they sometimes wore blue uniforms during the Revolutionary War.

Just thinking about it now, I’m wondering if they were forced to be in Red back in 1960. 

They were the last team to join the original 8 of the AFL. At that point, the only other red team were the Texans in the West. You also had the Titans (dark blue), Bills (Royal Blue), Oilers (Luv Ya Blue), and Chargers (Navy Blue). Half the teams were primarily blue. Imagine if 5/8 of a league wore blue?

plus, they could tie-in to playing in the RED Sox’ field at Fenway. That was the excuse given when the Braves moved to Fenway and they changed their name. For the time, it just worked.

They should’ve switched to Blue when they moved to Foxboro in 1971 and adopted “New England”.

2 minutes ago, Pharos04 said:

Just thinking about it now, I’m wondering if they were forced to be in Red back in 1960. 

They were the last team to join the original 8 of the AFL. At that point, the only other red team were the Texans in the West. You also had the Titans (dark blue), Bills (Royal Blue), Oilers (Luv Ya Blue), and Chargers (Navy Blue). Half the teams were primarily blue. Imagine if 5/8 of a league wore blue?

plus, they could tie-in to playing in the RED Sox’ field at Fenway. That was the excuse given when the Braves moved to Fenway and they changed their name. For the time, it just worked.

They should’ve switched to Blue when they moved to Foxboro.

I'm sure that must have played some part in it.

7 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Still, the Redcoats were their enemies. The Patriots wearing red is like the Blue Jackets using Confederate imagery (e.g., grey sweaters). It just looks wrong.

Exactly. And it would seem that the Patriots' original namesake mascot agrees with said sentiment. After all, what color coat did "Pat Patriot" sport for 33 seasons, 32 of those on the Patriots' helmets?

VSZmgLrm.png  dHPDfU9m.png  FkBjOGwm.png

"Pat Patriot" was decked out in the blue coat that George Washington ordered soldiers of the Continental Army to officially wear beginning in 1779. 😉

As Pharos04 pointed out, there's one reason that the Boston Patriots franchise didn't wear predominantly blue uniforms upon their arrival in the American Football League: the preponderance of other blue-garbed teams in the league. Had one or two teams from amongst the Bills, Chargers, Oilers and Titans not been clad in shades of  blue at the AFL's outset, there's a significant likelihood that the Pats would have taken to the field in 1960 sporting blue gear.      

Within a decade, the Pats will have worn blue uniforms as their primary look for as long as they once sported red togs... and with a far greater record of on-field accomplishment while clad in the blue gear. Bottom line? Blue is here to stay as the dominant hue - including with regard to uniform design - within the New England Patriots' brand identity. It makes sense on multiple levels.      

9 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Booooo. Red is a great color and a part of team history. Why would they not wear it? I wouldn’t mind doing the white Pat Patriot at some point because they’re great too.

8 hours ago, Hat Boy said:

2402233_orig.jpg

Let's go WFL and have the Pats wear multi colored (to indicate position) pants with blue tops and white lids. /s 

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

8 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Wasn't it hard to sneak attack anyone if you always had a drummer around?  Does every move need percussion in the background?

I have a buddy who's a professor of military history who explained to me one time exactly why that fought war that way at one time... Wearing bright colors, standing in a straight line facing the enemy, playing drums... I remember at the time what he said made perfect sense, and I got it, but I honestly now can't remember.

53 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I have a buddy who's a professor of military history who explained to me one time exactly why that fought war that way at one time... Wearing bright colors, standing in a straight line facing the enemy, playing drums... I remember at the time what he said made perfect sense, and I got it, but I honestly now can't remember.

This thread is awesome.

Archived