Patriots Unveil New Uniforms

Wentz2Jeffery

9 hours ago, Pharos04 said:

Just thinking about it now, I’m wondering if they were forced to be in Red back in 1960. 

They were the last team to join the original 8 of the AFL. At that point, the only other red team were the Texans in the West. You also had the Titans (dark blue), Bills (Royal Blue), Oilers (Luv Ya Blue), and Chargers (Navy Blue). Half the teams were primarily blue. Imagine if 5/8 of a league wore blue?

I thought the Raiders were the last to join because that spot was supposed to go to Minnesota and then they joined the NFL instead.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, the admiral said:

I thought the Raiders were the last to join because that spot was supposed to go to Minnesota and then they joined the NFL instead.

Wikipedia is one hell of a drug, but it says the Bengals were the last to join in 1968. I always thought they were established within the NFL?

7 minutes ago, the admiral said:

No, of the original eight. The Dolphins and Bengals were expansion teams, I'm aware of that.

Gotcha. Would’ve been interesting to see if Minnesota got the franchise and how long it would’ve taken for Oakland to get a team.

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

So I think it gets a bit muddy at that point.  The Pats were the last to join the initial 8 in November of 1959.  But the Minnesota group forfeited their franchise rights just after the AFL draft and were awarded the NFL franchise on January 28, 1960, while Oakland was awarded the new spot that was previously held by Minnesota on January 30, 1960.

So yes the Raiders were the last team to be finalized but the Pats were the last of the original 8.  Either way the other 4 teams wearing Blue were still in existence at that time and still likely dictated that the runt of the litter wear a different color.

Ah, I gotcha. Yeah, the founding of an outlaw league can never be expected to be tidy, I guess.

I agree that they should have switched to navy blue as soon as they moved out to Foxborough (though they should have kept the superior "Boston Patriots" name when they did). EDIT: Or even once the Titans became the Jets and switched to green.

11 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Wasn't it hard to sneak attack anyone if you always had a drummer around?  Does every move need percussion in the background?

Before the invention of radios drums were used for battlefield communication. Different drum beats were used to send signals between officers and troops.  The sound from a drum could carry further and more clearly than a voice and more quickly than sending a runner from group to group on the battlefield.

3 hours ago, Echo said:

Before the invention of radios drums were used for battlefield communication. Different drum beats were used to send signals between officers and troops.  The sound from a drum could carry further and more clearly than a voice and more quickly than sending a runner from group to group on the battlefield.

So basically the 18th century version of the Astros relaying signs by banging on a trashcan.  So in a way, the Astros were just honoring our military.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I think the "but the redcoats!" argument is a tired argument. People learn that Paul Revere didn't actually shout "The British are coming!" and everyone thinks they're a clever history expert now. They're a football team, not reenactors.

That said the Patriots shouldn't go back to red, not any more than the Los Angeles Lakers should switch back to blue jerseys full-time. Seems clear for sporting reasons. I can't believe this is the sports branding pitch that won't die.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

11 minutes ago, Digby said:

I think the "but the redcoats!" argument is a tired argument. People learn that Paul Revere didn't actually shout "The British are coming!" and everyone thinks they're a clever history expert now. They're a football team, not reenactors.

That said the Patriots shouldn't go back to red, not any more than the Los Angeles Lakers should switch back to blue jerseys full-time. Seems clear for sporting reasons. I can't believe this is the sports branding pitch that won't die.

We all have strange hills on which we do this 😁

It's where I sit.

I get the nostalgia for the creamsicle Bucs because it would be a color they'd have to themselves. But why the obsession for red and blue? because other teams are blue and red? Dumb.

20 minutes ago, colortv said:

Where do we stand on the Bills going primary red everyone?

Should be red helmets, blue jerseys, red socks with blue stripes.

8 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Should be red helmets, blue jerseys, red socks with blue stripes.

Agreed. And on the road, blue pants with the white jersey.

A red alternate would be fine, but not necessary.

2 hours ago, Digby said:

I think the "but the redcoats!" argument is a tired argument.

Sorry, I disagree. The historical army the Patriots are named after fought a foe with the famous nickname of "Redcoats." That wasn't an official designation, it was an unofficial nickname that became part of the lore of the American Revolution. I think expecting the Patriots to refrain from primarily red uniforms is a reasonable opinion to have.

9 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

The red helmets looked awful with that logo. The red streak looks practically invisible on them. 

Red helmets for the Bills is something I refuse to get behind.

White was a massive improvement over red.

Archived