Patriots Unveil New Uniforms

Wentz2Jeffery

Have any dynasty teams in modern memory changed uniforms so quickly thereafter on the scale of red jerseys/white helmets for the Patriots would be? All I've got is like... the blue and orange NHL teams of the 80s darkened the colors, eventually.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Froob said:

Doubtful we ever go back to red but definitely should make a modern red alternate if Pat Patriot doesn’t return. I’ve always loved the idea of a flying elvis alternate red jersey.

6 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

So, a team that is named after America in general shouldn't use a color that is associated with America and is on the flag? Yeah, sure... :Oo:

The team only started wearing blue as of 1993. Nobody cared about that historical accuracy before and nobody should care now. Wanting them to skirt around the idea of using a prominent team color is how you get crap like this:

pats-silver.jpg

You get a team jerseys that look like they were dragged through a Boston street and not cleaned before the game.

As opposed to this, an actual decent looking jersey:

ff_3358679-96d8c7ca8e349a4ef281alt2_full

8c8309_af8c241151b3496082465c43c70c849c~

32 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

I’d rather not derail the thread into even more Cincy-Jacked territory, but if the Browns and even the Broncos aren’t going to be the ones to embrace orange as a main color, the Bengals need to be the ones to do it.

The Broncos not only embrace orange, their extra alternate is orange!

2019_Denver.png

Part of me wants the Broncos to be the only orange-primary team. Then again, the blue helmets and socks limit the "orange-primary" nature of them, something that wouldn't impede the Bengals.

12 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

The Broncos not only embrace orange, their extra alternate is orange!

2019_Denver.png

Part of me wants the Broncos to be the only orange-primary team. Then again, the blue helmets and socks limit the "orange-primary" nature of them, something that wouldn't impede the Bengals.

Yeah I didn’t see your response until after I posted mine. I’d prefer the Broncos utilize their CR into a new uniform set, whether it’s orange first or blue first. Either way they’ll look better than what they have now.

As far as the Bengals, it goes against what I’m preaching about an orange embrace, but my favorite look for them is the all black they used against SF last season

spacer.png

14 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

The Broncos exist. Unless something radical has happened to them, they still have orange jerseys as their primaries (just make sure to never wear them in the Super Bowl, obviously).

Still, the Bengals were at their best with black jerseys, white pants, and orange socks, IMO:

ca860fd688ee6b0caf62cb2389a3f47a.jpg

Forgot about the Broncos. So they'd be the second team to primarily wear orange jerseys, but with the orange helmet that would make them the orangiest team in the league. 

It helps distinguish them from the Browns a bit.

their tiger striped helmets uniforms does enough to distinguish them from the Browns already.

Black socks really don't suit them as well, especially since they guarantee the leotard design. Ideally, the Bengals should be:

Home: black jerseys, white pants, orange socks

Road: white jerseys, black pants, orange socks

Alternate: orange jerseys, white pants, orange socks

"Color Rush": what they have now

The black socks suit them better than orange, imo. Strikes a better balance between all the elements when the black jerseys have a "partner" so the uniform doesn't feel so top heavy. Orange Helmets pairs with the thick orange pants stripe, black jerseys pairs with the black socks. 

And the leotard look doesn't bother me with that look because the pants stripe was so thick

ESRP2QlX0AARZ1d.jpg

PvO6ZWJ.png

If we’re talking about the RedCOATS, maybe red jerseys are OK but sideline jackets have to be blue.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

9 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

So, a team that is named after America in general shouldn't use a color that is associated with America and is on the flag? Yeah, sure... :Oo:

The team only started wearing blue as of 1993. Nobody cared about that historical accuracy before and nobody should care now. Wanting them to skirt around the idea of using a prominent team color is how you get crap like this:

pats-silver.jpg

You get a team jerseys that look like they were dragged through a Boston street and not cleaned before the game.

As opposed to this, an actual decent looking jersey:

ff_3358679-96d8c7ca8e349a4ef281alt2_full

Nobody cared about the New England Patriots before then, either.

spacer.png

As a die-hard Patriots fan, I was literally distraught for days after these were unveiled for all the reasons members have pointed too (i.e. moving from custom font to something generic and cheap looking, no silver or white pants, etc.), it’s maddening. The reality is the Krafts have never been good at this (changing uniforms 3x in the 90s). It’s crazy to see such a well run franchise under-index in marketing their uniforms - compared to what the Falcons, Bucs, Chargers, and Browns did. No doubt they lucked into a set originally created by Adidas that become synonymous w/greatness. The older color-rush with the original numerals are way better. 

All that said, if you can somehow forget about the custom font that become synonymous w/the brand for the past 20-years and see these as a cont. of the 80s Red Throwbacks - it’s passable. Let’s hope for another modification in 5-years and that we’ll get silver pants in 2021. 

3 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Still, the Bengals were at their best with black jerseys, white pants, and orange socks, IMO:

ca860fd688ee6b0caf62cb2389a3f47a.jpg

I liked the post-Champion-font era better - the one with the tiger logo on the sleeve and the TV number on the shoulder.

The Bengals would be a perfect team to go the route of the Chargers and ditch TV numbers and bring back that awesome tiger-striped shoulder hoop, without any other distractions around it.

2 hours ago, Sport said:

ESRP2QlX0AARZ1d.jpg

The best monochrome uniform in the modern-era of the NFL.

1 hour ago, OnWis97 said:

If we’re talking about the RedCOATS, maybe red jerseys are OK but sideline jackets have to be blue.

Yeah, that's what I was saying would be an OK compromise.  IF they're just like "hey... we just like red" or "we want to stand out from the Bills" then cool, wear red, but make everything else blue.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

17 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Yeah, that's what I was saying would be an OK compromise.  IF they're just like "hey... we just like red" or "we want to stand out from the Bills" then cool, wear red, but make everything else blue.

Matt Patricia wept.

In seriousness, I don't think the Patriots ought to worry about standing out for the rest. Maybe the Pats/Bills overlap was more a worry in 2002 when both fell victim to the color schemes and piping trends of the era. At this point the Bills own the white helmet and the royal shade of blue (not to mention a better application of white pants there than the hypothetical ideas for NE).

Still some Patriots/Giants overlap, but even there, meh. If anyone needs to worry about standing out from the rest of this color scheme's bunch it's Houston.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

1 hour ago, Harlequin said:

The Krafts did not change the uniforms three times in the 90s — the original move from Pat Patriot to Flying Elvis happened under James Orthwein (1993) who sought to move the team to St. Louis and couldn’t because Kraft (who owned Foxboro Stadium) wouldn’t let him out of the lease. A frustrated Orthwein sold Kraft the team in 1994. One might be able to link the adoption of new uniforms and a new logo to Orthwein’s desire to move the team: break traditional links between the fanbase and the team. But apparently the Krafts liked it, too!

You may be able to blame Kraft for the changes in 1994, and you can definitely blame him for adopting the greatest uniforms in history.

spacer.png

These uniforms are about as '90s as you can get, but I really liked that number font, the red dropshadow on the home & the red numbers on the away, the red/blue pant stripe, and the socks.  I wish these could have been the starting point for their uniform re-design rather than the Color Rush uniform.

1996_NewEngland.png

5 hours ago, Digby said:

Have any dynasty teams in modern memory changed uniforms so quickly thereafter on the scale of red jerseys/white helmets for the Patriots would be? All I've got is like... the blue and orange NHL teams of the 80s darkened the colors, eventually.

I'd hesitate to call the mid-90s Houston Rockets a dynasty but they did adopt those awful 90s unis with the bevelled pinstripes and cartoonish chest logo immediately after back to back NBA titles in their classic red, white, and gold look.

12 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

Um...they aren't named after America in general. If they were the New England Americans then yeah, sure, wear red. They aren't though. They're named after American soldiers of the American Revolution, who fought against the British Army, commonly known in the era as "red coats." The American Revolution element to the name has ALWAYS been there, so I'm unsure how you can claim they're just broadly named for America.

12 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

Nobody cared about that historical accuracy before and nobody should care now.

How do you know no one cared? You think the internet was invented and suddenly the idea that the Patriots shouldn't wear red was born from nothingness? I guarantee you people said this sort of thing before, it's just that 1) the Pats were a joke franchise so who cared? and 2) the internet wasn't a thing, so people who thought "maybe the team named after Revolutionary War-era soldiers shouldn't wear red?" had no real outlet.

7 hours ago, 1908_Cubs said:

I always find the "Patriots can't wear read because it's historically inaccurate" point to be a little unfair.  No one says "Well, Eagles aren't green". 

Apples and oranges.

2 hours ago, Digby said:

In seriousness, I don't think the Patriots ought to worry about standing out for the rest.

The Patriots became the most successful dynasty in the history of American sports wearing blue primaries. I don't think it's on them to change 😛

3 hours ago, IceCap said:

Um...they aren't named after America in general. If they were the New England Americans then yeah, sure, wear red. They aren't though. They're named after American soldiers of the American Revolution, who fought against the British Army, commonly known in the era as "red coats." The American Revolution element to the name has ALWAYS been there, so I'm unsure how you can claim they're just broadly named for America.

That might be the intention when the team's name was invented, I'm not going to deny that part but I think if you asked most sports fans what the team name means they would probably say that the team is just named for America.

Vet is right though, i just like them wearing red jerseys, it has nothing to do with historical accuracy to me personally. The Redcoats thing is a weird argument but it's also an argument that does make sense.

bSLCtu2.png

On 4/25/2020 at 10:59 AM, DNAsports said:

Gotcha. Would’ve been interesting to see if Minnesota got the franchise and how long it would’ve taken for Oakland to get a team.

It's interesting how close we were to having teams in different cities or just different cities period.  AFL was interested in St Louis, of course the NFL moved the Cards there,  Ralph Wilson almost went with Miami instead of Buffalo. The AFL had interest in expanding to Atlanta and the Texans almost moved to New Orleans instead of KC, Both became NFL cities. AFL also had looked into Seattle but I think there was an issue with leasing UW's field or something and was exploring Jacksonville ( wanting someone else in the state with the expansion Miami ) but it came an afterthought with the merger. 

Of course in one of the previous merger compromises 64/65 had the Jets going to Memphis and the Raiders to Portland.  

If you like sports history and interesting tidbits i'd highly recommend "good seats still available" podcast. 

#DTWD #GoJaguars

5 hours ago, IceCap said:

The Patriots became the most successful dynasty in the history of American sports wearing blue primaries. I don't think it's on them to change 😛

They're not even the most successful dynasty in the history of Massachusetts pro sports.

And the red Pat Patriot uniform is the best they've ever worn.  Just tweak the Pat Patriot logo to modernize it and clean it up and you've got a winner.

3 minutes ago, Bobster said:

They're not even the most successful dynasty in the history of Massachusetts pro sports.

And the red Pat Patriot uniform is the best they've ever worn.  Just tweak the Pat Patriot logo to modernize it and clean it up and you've got a winner.

Yes they are.  What the Celtics did in the 60's was impressive, but the NBA was a nine-team league with no free agency.

IUe6Hvh.png

Archived